Poll

Should the maul change be reversed?

Yes
57 (42.5%)
No
77 (57.5%)

Total Members Voted: 132

Author Topic: The maul change is retarded  (Read 5546 times)

Offline ROHYPNOL

• Earl
  • Renown: 361
  • Infamy: 127
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Poor Washing Machine
    • View Profile
Re: The maul change is retarded
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2013, 05:24:19 pm »
If  you are fighting a long maul, that is pretty simple, is that thing not extremely slow? I do not feel like looking at the stats, but you can spam him more. If the the player is better than you, simply he is just better than you and knows how to use it, then again it is not because it is "OP". That will be the day when people start admitting that other players are just simply better because of skill, not because they beat you and it should not be possible because you are the best.

Roh, forgive me if you wrote it a thousand times, but did you ever actually come out and say what you think about these nerfs - if they wreck Mauls or what? I mean, you're still using them, right?

Also, not sure if you care enough, but it would be really cool if you wrote a Mauler's Manual for the Guides section of the forum. There are already primers on playing cavalry, hoplites, throwers, etc. As CRPG's resident maul master, your laying down some tips and techniques in writing could go a long way to disproving the belief that playing a mauler is idiot-simple. I, for one, would love to read it.

Besides, Mauler's Manual... you just can't fight that alliteration. It gets in your blood.

Yes I still use them, but I actually got rid of my mallet and regular maul while I could, because they have 0 CT. I used it last night while breaking through the line to go at pikers, that just stood there and blocked every attack I could throw at them. In this case it would make much more sense to actually just pull out a HBS and spam everyone. There is no reason a maul should not CT and piker when breaking through the line at least "some of the time". So I just got rid of my mallet and regular maul, after making them popular even remotely on NA1 it was pretty easy to do. This change is rather stupid. Should be revised in a different matter, seriously. Please just keep taking more diversity out of the game, makes it better right?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 05:39:44 pm by ROHYPNOL »
Quote from: Jeade
you're rough around the edges.
This is the reason people don't like you if anyone ever did.

Offline Varadin

• fite me irl
  • Duke
  • Renown: 577
  • Infamy: 353
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Serbian
    • View Profile
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/19930206800039/
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Varadin
  • IRC nick: Varadin
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2013, 08:19:12 pm »
+2
I think the maul is already too slow weapon it can be outspammed easily, so in topic of balance i think it should be like it was before.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2013, 05:16:04 pm »
+1
I sometimes use a great maul in siege because you can't really take it seriously as a weapon these days. Not anymore: with the crushthrough, the essence of the weapon, nerfed, what is the point of having one? Most of the time, you died as a mauler anyway, but the tactical consideration of you just being there caused trouble to the enemy: their shielders often panicked and desparately attacked you which let your teammates kill them from behind or just run past and open the gate/kill the archer the shielder was supposed to be guarding. Isn't this the 7th nerf the Great Maul has had? I think I'm right in saying that, since the days when SUPERBEAST used to lolhammer 9 enemies in a row to death, damage has been nerfed, speed nerfed twice, length nerfed twice, it has been made 3 slots and now the crushthrough nerf applied. In the early days of crpg, it was the two-handers who got everything they wanted, now it seems to the be shielders who are in that happy position.
 :?
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2013, 05:54:03 pm »
+1
I think the maul is already too slow weapon it can be outspammed easily, so in topic of balance i think it should be like it was before.

I have a 100 speed 1h sword, and 136 1h wpf. Try as I might, I can't "outspam" great maul, mallet, or maul users. If they execute a side swing after blocking my swing, it will always land before my followup "spam" left swing does. Now, if they try an overhead while I am "spamming", I will probably hit them first, but most maulers have the sense to wait until I am block stunned before attempting an overhead, or just rely on dragging it along the ground after missing the overhead to hit for full damage. Basically a mauler has all of the tools available to any other 2h duelist, plus crushthrough.

Long Maul is a different beast, and anyone with a >90 speed weapon can easily "spam" them, even if the long mauler is sideswinging. Long maul is thus totally balanced, since they are a devastating support weapon, but stuck on the defensive once they have to block once.

Offline vipere

• Marshall
  • Renown: 793
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Lunasa
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2013, 06:18:23 pm »
The maul change is really retarded....

i don't know what developpers were thinking when they did this. I always play with Long Maul, and it's boring now, you have to wait one second when you do overhead, if you don't it's just like a long hafted spiked mace, an archer with only 18 in strenght, 3 power strike and a little sword can block easily...

We are like 4 or 5 players in EU ( i don't know for Na) who use constantly Long Maul and they nerf it...

just why ??

because some players can't use their brain to counter a maul or take an other way to enter the castle instead of the ladder with 3 maulers on the top of it in siege server ?

Ps: sorry about my english

Offline Arrowblood

• Duke
  • Renown: 508
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Arrowblood
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2013, 08:36:47 pm »
YOLO
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 10:17:36 pm by Arrowblood »

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2013, 09:02:40 pm »
+1
1h players with mw swords who can't outspam maulers. Stop lobbying for nerfs because you're terrible at the game. Thank you!
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline oohillac

• Marshall
  • Renown: 724
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player
  • boys don't cry
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2013, 09:06:35 pm »
Mauls are fine, they are now properly relegated to a support role.  No more "duelling" (spamming crushthrough overheads).

Offline vipere

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2013, 09:41:11 pm »
+1
What would you do if everyone would use his brain and would avoid any fight with you?

if everyone would use their brain, they should just try what they want to nerf.

And how can someone counter a maul attack if the attack is croushing trough the counter ?

Spam ? hold attack ?
there is a lot of way to counter a mauler ( i speak for long maul, i don't use great maul )
I just want the dev to remove this nerf, because i don't see any logic in it

But OK, lets kill diversity in this game and all be 2h with danish/longsword and lets nerf archers/xbow/Maulers/pikemens/hoplites

You kill the fluidity of attacking, it should be "Block"/Attack/Block/Attack" + feints and other tricks

Now it's just Block/Start Attack/Hold Attack 1 sec/Attack/Block/Start Attack/Hold Attack 1 sec /........Fuck this it's boring !!!!!

Offline NuberT

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: NuberT_HRE
  • IRC nick: NuberT_HRE
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2013, 09:53:27 pm »
man to counter long maul, you just strafe left or right, when you got the space..

that weapon is so gimped right now, its just so frustrating, can't play it for more like 10 minutes.. so slow and the servers are so laggy, that you cannot block shit yourself - its like receiving 4d crushthrough and this way faster faster..

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • Renown: 672
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Rhekimos
  • IRC nick: Rhekimos
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2013, 10:01:59 pm »
Mauls are fine, they are now properly relegated to a support role.  No more "duelling" (spamming crushthrough overheads).

Mate, I have to wonder if you would post the same thing if they removed 1 vs 1 ability from the long spear.

No more "duelling" (jumping, spinning and then stabbing).

Offline oohillac

• Marshall
  • Renown: 724
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player
  • boys don't cry
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2013, 11:30:04 pm »
Mate, I have to wonder if you would post the same thing if they removed 1 vs 1 ability from the long spear.

No more "duelling" (jumping, spinning and then stabbing).

Completely different topics.  Mauls still have sideswings.

(click to show/hide)

Offline vipere

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2013, 01:03:50 am »
Mauls still have sideswings.

If you have a maul, it's definitively not for sideswings. I have long maces for that

this change with holding weapon for crushtrough is not the good solution to fix mauls

It just kill the gameplay of the maul, i think it's more noticeable with long mauls. And other people who post in this thread, in favor of this nerf are not maulers, they really need to play it and feel how it's boring and frustrating, i was pure mauler and now, i just start to switch to long bardiche, or long hafted spiked mace after 1 or 2 rounds in EU1 .

Ps : sorry again for my english...

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • Renown: 672
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Rhekimos
  • IRC nick: Rhekimos
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2013, 01:04:11 am »
Completely different topics.  Mauls still have sideswings.

(click to show/hide)

Only trying to share my perspective. No class would be fun to play with zero 1vs1 ability, be it piker or mauler.
Even archers got good 0-slot swords. They too deserve some 1vs1 ability, and they are the least melee oriented of the classes in cRPG.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2013, 01:25:16 am »
Mauls already sucked in 1 vs 1 combat anyways.  You have to be an idiot to not quickly figure out how to beat a mauler.  They literally can never attack you unless they have support because their weapon is so slow, you just strafe away and swing to interrupt.  This includes when they sideswing.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.