Poll

Should the maul change be reversed?

Yes
57 (42.5%)
No
77 (57.5%)

Total Members Voted: 132

Author Topic: The maul change is retarded  (Read 5541 times)

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
Re: The maul change is retarded
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2013, 04:43:40 am »
Fix the dragging overhead hitbox (for ALL weapons) please, that would be a nice first step before altering any additional mechanics.

As an aside, an indirect buff to maul users is that 0slot 1h with maul and shield is usable again.

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2013, 05:10:34 am »
Just as I thought, you cannot use it yourself yet saying it is "OP" too funny. Go ahead get some practice then try to duel me with it, I think you will change your mind otherwise. Got all I needed to hear from you though, thanks.

Master Matey: Dark side is OP! Lightning is bullshit!
Darth Rohypnol: NO IT ISN'T! I had to kill like 200 unarmed children to master this shit! AND I had to be angry! I bet if you got angry and turned to the darkside and killed 200 unarmed children you STILL wouldn't be as good at lightning as I am!
Master Matey: But I don't want to get angry and turn to the darkside and kill 200 unarmed children...
Darth Rohypnol: Fucking noob. You just admitted you can't get as good at lightning me as me. NOOB.
Master Matey:  :cry:

Offline ROHYPNOL

• Earl
  • Renown: 361
  • Infamy: 127
  • Poor Washing Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2013, 05:23:39 am »
+2
Darth Rohypnol: NO IT ISN'T! I had to kill like 200 unarmed children to master this shit! AND I had to be angry! I bet if you got angry and turned to the darkside and killed 200 unarmed children you STILL wouldn't be as good at lightning as I am!
Master Matey: But I don't want to get angry and turn to the darkside and kill 200 unarmed children...
Darth Rohypnol: Fucking noob. You just admitted you can't get as good at lightning me as me. NOOB.

HAHAH don't know what to think of that

I want to say in general, that I personally do not care that they nerf mauls. The only thing that pisses me off is that I have 2 mauls that no longer work what so ever that cost me 6 loom points. I am pretty pissed they just keep nerfing this game to shit. People were drawn to this game because of it's dynamics and the many different builds you can do. Lets just keep screwing ourselves.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 05:34:34 am by ROHYPNOL »
Quote from: Jeade
you're rough around the edges.
This is the reason people don't like you if anyone ever did.

Offline Commodore_Axephante

• Earl
  • Renown: 439
  • Infamy: 38
  • Jumping with my overheads since '04
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Reidi_the_Unfettered
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2013, 05:24:35 am »

This is getting deep. Is "won't" a kind of "can't"? Men have devoted their lives to questions more trivial.

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • Renown: 672
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Rhekimos
  • IRC nick: Rhekimos
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2013, 05:48:19 am »
Shielder says the mauler is OP. Archers and 2h say cavalry is OP. Cavalry says pike is OP. Piker jumps around like mad and laughs.

All say the counter class is evil, lame, and very OP and wonder why everyone doesn't agree.

Entertaining, but smacks of willful ignorance under the thin surface. Also maybe a bit biased.

Offline Matey

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2013, 06:32:24 am »
hey now, I've said it before and I'll say it again. Make crushthrough ONLY work against shielders and you can argue that only shielders bitch about it, though I would actually not bitch if crushthrough ONLY worked against shields cause then I could put my shield away and fight on. Crushthrough works on EVERYONE no matter how skilled they are, they still can't block that overhead; their only option is to prevent the overhead from ever being thrown, or get out the way and sometimes you can't do either.

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2013, 06:45:12 am »
+1
hey now, I've said it before and I'll say it again. Make crushthrough ONLY work against shielders and you can argue that only shielders bitch about it, though I would actually not bitch if crushthrough ONLY worked against shields cause then I could put my shield away and fight on. Crushthrough works on EVERYONE no matter how skilled they are, they still can't block that overhead; their only option is to prevent the overhead from ever being thrown, or get out the way and sometimes you can't do either.

Pikes work against other than cavalry. Cavalry works against other than 2h and archers. Mauls also work against other than shielders.

I believe your argument is irrelevant.

Offline ROHYPNOL

• Earl
  • Renown: 361
  • Infamy: 127
  • Poor Washing Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2013, 06:55:35 am »
+2
Also if you see a mauler get ready to hit you with an overhead you can swing again and hit him. Spam works very well against mauls, they are pretty slow. Yes of coarse it is more difficult the better the player, but isn't everything?

Glad some people get it, others never will.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 07:02:03 am by ROHYPNOL »
Quote from: Jeade
you're rough around the edges.
This is the reason people don't like you if anyone ever did.

Offline Matey

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2013, 07:09:13 am »
Also if you see a mauler get ready to hit you with an overhead you can swing again and hit him. Spam works very well against mauls, they are pretty slow. Yes of coarse it is more difficult the better the player, but isn't everything?

spamming maulers isn't as reliable as you suggest. even with a 24 agi 172 wpf 100 speed weapon build they can still get off overheads with me spamming left swings constantly, not always but sometimes. also, glances and chambers. i remember testing with singingintherain on duel once, he used the long maul and we dueled many many times trying to find ways for me to have any reliable method of beating him and we both agreed that it just wasn't possible to spam him or reliable dodge in and out of range, granted that was before the turn speed nerf, so maybe those findings aren't as reliable now, but my experience with great mauls is that unless the player is really bad then i literally cannot spam them hard enough to prevent an overhead.

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2013, 07:15:27 am »

Roh, forgive me if you wrote it a thousand times, but did you ever actually come out and say what you think about these nerfs - if they wreck Mauls or what? I mean, you're still using them, right?

Also, not sure if you care enough, but it would be really cool if you wrote a Mauler's Manual for the Guides section of the forum. There are already primers on playing cavalry, hoplites, throwers, etc. As CRPG's resident maul master, your laying down some tips and techniques in writing could go a long way to disproving the belief that playing a mauler is idiot-simple. I, for one, would love to read it.

Besides, Mauler's Manual... you just can't fight that alliteration. It gets in your blood.

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2013, 07:19:43 am »
Spam indeed works well against mauls. Especially now. All you need is to force a mauler to block once and he most likely cannot regain a situation where he could charge his attack long enough to crush-through. Without that it's just a very slow and very short weapon, easy to outspam without worry of him ever crushing through.

Only the long maul is seems somewhat viable since the length advantage gives a first strike option in some situations, if you can control the distance.

And this only nerfs non-full strength maulers. With 13 PS or more, mauling seemed to work pretty much like it always had.

also, glances and chambers

If someone forces glances and chambers you, we're not speaking of someone with no skill at all.

we dueled many many times trying to find ways for me to have any reliable method of beating him

Why should you have a reliable method of beating your counter? That's throwing the whole logic of having classes that are good against some different classes straight out of the window.

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2013, 07:27:58 am »
And this only nerfs non-full strength maulers. With 13 PS or more, mauling seemed to work pretty much like it always had.

Are there really a significant amount of players running around with 13+ ps?  :shock: I had no idea. Wouldn't that mean they have 3 agi or something? How could they ever hit anyone who was holding their S key?

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2013, 07:30:59 am »
Are there really a significant amount of players running around with 13+ ps?  :shock: I had no idea. Wouldn't that mean they have 3 agi or something? How could they ever hit anyone who was holding their S key?

It's not easy, but it can be fun. And frighteningly damaging. I have two full str alts, a 2h and a polearm guy.

Have you ever seen Merc_Vex in action?

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2013, 07:35:39 am »
It's not easy, but it can be fun. And frighteningly damaging. I have two full str alts, a 2h and a polearm guy.

Have you ever seen Merc_Vex in action?

Afraid not. But I generally play such fragile builds that such strength is literally overkill, against me, so it wouldn't even look all that impressive from where I'm sitting :).

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2013, 07:37:44 am »
Afraid not. But I generally play such fragile builds that such strength is literally overkill, against me, so it wouldn't even look all that impressive from where I'm sitting :).

Him one hitting the team around you might strike some terror in your heart. It's done that for me. :D