Author Topic: Dear chadz and the Item Team  (Read 15147 times)

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
Re: Dear chadz and the Item Team
« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2013, 07:14:47 am »
The real issue of the most problems is that crpg dev team is open from one side and completely closed from the other side. I bet the best balancing team would be a team of excellent players.

Could be right, but could also be wrong. Being an excellent player in cRPG (and many other class and character based games with player skill) always means being a minmaxer, and trying to "exploit" a certain build as good as possible. Or a certain mechanic. I don't think that this would put them into an objective point of view. Sometimes it could be better to just stay the spectator, see the results of the latest changes, compare them to the aimed goal, and tweak accordingly.

Although, on the other hand, some practical knowledge is definitely needed. That's why I generally refrain from making any suggestions concerning fighting mechanics like animations, stuns, chambering, etc., because I suck at fighting.  :mrgreen:
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2013, 08:57:20 am »
Well, you adressed the given issue that they have not enough people and chadz asked you who claimed that the debate in this thread has anything to do with an issue having to less people in the first place. crystal clear, no?

Ah, thanks for clarification. Noone stated it openly like this, but Badplayer and Tears and others hinted at it in their posts. It's also the logical assumption, when work doesn't get done.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2013, 09:00:03 am »
+4
I am confused. Who said what? You quoted something I said and ask who said it? Is that some kind of insult? Or did you mean the next sentence maybe? I can remember two occasions where I asked how progress on new item patch was and whether I or anyone else could help accelerating it, and at least cmp and Shik said no, there is no help the community could provide to accelerate it.

Actually, the issue about not having enough people to help with the items is bullshit.

1.    bullshit   
A blatant lie, a fragrant untruth, an obvious falicy.

So what you are implying is that the dev team somewhere said that they need more people, and that you believe this is a blatant lie, a fragrant untruth, or an obvious falicy. Unless you did that statement yourself and immediately claim what you said is a lie, which would be even more confusing :).

A page before I stated the reason for things not getting done in time, and nowhere did I say it has something to do with the amount of devs.

Offline KingBread

• Earl
  • Renown: 445
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: KingBread
« Reply #93 on: February 27, 2013, 10:35:59 am »
+3
Finally we got chadz word on stuff. Good i prefer to know they know and can't do stuff than think they don't care or don't know.

Offline Count_Curtis

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player
  • There's no cure for being a cunt
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Captain_Ludd / Curtis
  • IRC nick: Curtis
« Reply #94 on: February 27, 2013, 01:23:31 pm »
yeah but instead of arguing with turkish people all the time, he should make real statements about the game, the mod, and the development. i mean this entire community threw thousands of euros at him, he could at least tell us how shit works in the dev team. nobody has any idea how the mod is developed

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 27, 2013, 02:00:34 pm »
yeah but instead of arguing with turkish people all the time, he should make real statements about the game, the mod, and the development. i mean this entire community threw thousands of euros at him, he could at least tell us how shit works in the dev team. nobody has any idea how the mod is developed

The biggest issue is the legacy problem of cRPG. Both technical and organisational. It was never planned. Never ever. cRPG happened, was hit with success by surprise and has been always one step behind this from a planning point of view.

(click to show/hide)

For example the team, it was never properly organised. People moved themselves into a position by showing dedication, but those positions were  never defined, clear areas of work are completely missing. People just did. And sometimes people stopped doing. Stuff like that was never foreseen and accounted for.

It's developed very chaotically, I would say.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 27, 2013, 02:12:03 pm »
+3

You're completely mixing up the mod and the new project here - they are two separate things. Those that invested have of course access to different information.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 27, 2013, 02:30:56 pm »
Might we ask for an HONEST answer about the future development of cRPG? And with honest I mean even honest to yourself. Because as I see it now, you are developing a game which you have been actually paid for, you are trying to make a name in the gaming sector, and you have possible profit at the end of the process. So why should you bother wasting your time with cRPG any more, time which was spare enough even before you started M:BG.

Some kind of weird responsibility towards the community? Does this outweight the fact that M:BG can directly affect your life by being a first step towards your new job?

As I see it now, cRPG this time is REALLY dying. It will persist for a long time until it will finally die and Leshma, Teeth, ToD and Vibe leave for good (!!!), but from now on the decline will become more and more obvious. First signs could be that the battle server is sometimes astonishingly empty, or that I see perhaps one or two developer posts in the cRPG-game-forum section in a week.

In my eyes cRPG has fullfilled its role as testing object for your new game, although it was not started as such in the beginning. You have to move on (especially since M&B II would have killed cRPG most likely, anyways).

Perhaps it's time to release an agenda for cRPG 1.0, and to finally declare development as stopped as soon as the finaly version is released?

Edit: you = the team, not only you, chadz.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 27, 2013, 02:36:20 pm »
That's not really a secret - we still work on cRPG, still add stuff every here and then, but most of the work goes towards the new project.

Offline matt2507

• King
  • Renown: 1013
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • It is when making anything that we become anyone.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Raylin The_Village_Idiot Mohamed_Ali
« Reply #99 on: February 27, 2013, 02:51:52 pm »
It's the same for the technical aspect as well. Items in particular are especially problematic to put into a patch, because they have to be synched on the website and the game simultaneously. Sounds easy, but it isn't. If it would be a normal singleplayer/multiplayer mod, you'd just patch that shit, test it, release it. Simple as that.

In cRPG we can't even test patches properly because it all has to be in sync. This is why we (I in particular) are so reluctant of item patches - if something goes wrong, it could mean several hours downtime in best case, and a multiple day revert worst case.

Whys do not use a system like many mmorpg ?

once in a month, turn off the server for indeterminate time.
This will let an hour or two to synchronize new items and test them with a dev launcher.

No donkeys were harmed in the making of this gif.

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #100 on: February 27, 2013, 03:25:20 pm »
@Joker
exactly my point i had too.

@ chadz
Will cRPG/strategus be upgraded for M&B2 yes or no?
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 27, 2013, 03:37:14 pm »
+1
That's not really a secret - we still work on cRPG, still add stuff every here and then, but most of the work goes towards the new project.

So if people were 100% devoted to cRPG before M:BG, and patches were released in a roster of several months, what kind of development can we expect now, with 10-30% devotion? Once a year a bugfix?

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #102 on: February 27, 2013, 03:45:18 pm »
+1
@ chadz
Will cRPG/strategus be upgraded for M&B2 yes or no?

Very unlikely. It's a weird question though, M&B2 doesn't even exist yet.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 27, 2013, 03:54:25 pm »
+3
So if people were 100% devoted to cRPG before M:BG, and patches were released in a roster of several months, what kind of development can we expect now, with 10-30% devotion? Once a year a bugfix?

We were never devoted 100% to cRPG (dayjob, other responsibilities etc), so you cant calculate it that way. You'll have to wait and see, anything else is pure speculation, from everyones side.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #104 on: February 27, 2013, 04:39:25 pm »
+8
Wonder why everyone seems so... I dunno... even a bit aggressive...

Announcing "you know what" was in itself a clear statement that cRPG won't be a priority anymore. And rightly so since it's just a mod. Except for a very small number of mods, they all died out at some point. cRPG has a very loyal playerbase and that's probably the only reason we all stick with it... and that there isn't any comparable alternative to it.

Sure, I would like to see new stuff added like everyone else but right now I am more or less pretty happy with the state. Overall it's working.
I don't think there is a lot wrong with the mod but with the expectations of some players tbh.

My advice, sit back and play the game... or don't. Quit the melodramatic questions and blame.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.