Author Topic: Dear chadz and the Item Team  (Read 15084 times)

Offline Korgoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 742
  • Infamy: 100
  • cRPG Player
  • I've dated girls uglier than you for Breakfast
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Korgoth
  • IRC nick: Korgoth
Re: Dear chadz and the Item Team
« Reply #180 on: February 28, 2013, 10:17:33 pm »
+8
Yeah yeah yeah... mod is dead and all that shit.

Add new items!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Korgoth's Retextures
Korgoth's Hierloom Stall

Offline BlameMeForTheNoise

• Count
  • Renown: 189
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Varangian Guards
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Sonjarr
« Reply #181 on: March 01, 2013, 11:28:56 am »
So is there going to be an itempatch soon?

I think everyone would be ok with a little serverdowntime for that. *hinthint*

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 01, 2013, 12:49:53 pm »
How about wipe, much faster leveling in general and hard cap at say lvl 34 or 35? (Not that this hasn't been suggested before)

So the newbies could get their heirlooms and high lvl chars in no time and laugh at me playing 2 1/2 years for lvl 34 and a couple +3s. Seriously, who would care? We all have enough of that stuff and if it helps new players to keep on playing everyone wins from it.
This. Wipe and speed up levelling a damn lot and problem solved.

Offline pepejul

• Master-At-Arms
  • King
  • Renown: 1611
  • Infamy: 495
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • PEPE INSIDE
    • View Profile
    • http://alkislarlayasiyorum.com/icerik/60166/pepee-pepee-cok-uzuluyor
  • Faction: Pecores / Krems / hobo in the heart forever
  • Game nicks: something with PEPE inside
  • IRC nick: Pepejul
« Reply #183 on: March 01, 2013, 01:32:53 pm »
Give all pple lvl 35 and it will be faster... lol
I LOVE YOU, ADMINS !

Offline Xol!

• Earl
  • Renown: 428
  • Infamy: 51
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Xol_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Xol
« Reply #184 on: March 01, 2013, 01:46:34 pm »
+6
After reading through the thread, I have three points to make.

First, I agree very much with chadz on the new programmers thing.  I'm a graduate student in computational science, so I do a literal fuckload of programming in a bunch of different languages.  I had it in my head for awhile that I'd try out the whole warband modding deal and see if I could maybe help out with crpg.  After downloading the module system, I can completely understand why it's a huge time investment to get someone trained to use it properly.  I just didn't have the time to put in to learn it, so I gave up trying on my own.  Now, if chadz/cmp/paul/anyone who knows the warband module system properly could put together a small example, explain what's going on, and post it in a thread to get people started, maybe they could drum up some interest.  Hell I might take another crack at it.  However, it would still involve a lot of training and patience from the devs even if some promising young starry-eyed programmer springs forth from the community.

Second, regarding the 'mod is dying do new things' part of the game, new, better gamemodes would probably help a lot (see: conquest), but strat battles are also a tremendous way to get people to play.  I think something that might be nice would be to set up a 'sponsored' strat battle once or twice a week (on NA and EU), where both armies are outfitted with a large amount of troops/gear and have the maximum allowable mercs per side. Commanding rights could be sold at auction the week before.  Granted, there are already high gear value, high troop count battles going on in strat, but having a guaranteed big experience battle might be nice.

Third, a full wipe really can't be the answer.  It'll just drive people away.  However, doing a wipe with some benefits from the experience/looms/gold/gens/titles/whatever you've got on your old character might be appropriate, but it would also need to come with some very drastic gameplay changes to get people on board.
boop

Offline _Sebastian_

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
  • Lazy Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Bad Bug Busters
  • Faction: Flat-Earth Reptilian
  • Game nicks: Fenris_Sebastian
« Reply #185 on: March 01, 2013, 03:58:09 pm »
+5
After downloading the module system, I can completely understand why it's a huge time investment to get someone trained to use it properly.  I just didn't have the time to put in to learn it, so I gave up trying on my own.  Now, if chadz/cmp/paul/anyone who knows the warband module system properly could put together a small example, explain what's going on, and post it in a thread to get people started, maybe they could drum up some interest.  Hell I might take another crack at it.  However, it would still involve a lot of training and patience from the devs even if some promising young starry-eyed programmer springs forth from the community.

Getting started.
Here you go.. a documentation about the module system.
You will also find many tutorials here.

I also was expierienced in many programming languages(C#, lsl, python, sql, html etc.) before I started with warband modding,
but it took me about a half year to become very good at the module system.

A guy with absolutly no knowledge about scripting maybe will need about a year or two to become a "master".
So it needs a lot of time and I dont think it will be helpfull to recruit new programers without any expierience.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 04:06:13 pm by _Sebastian_ »

Offline Micah

• Duke
  • Renown: 539
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Micah_Senpai_von_Krems Glance_the_Useless_von_Krems Arielle_the_little_Mermaid
« Reply #186 on: March 01, 2013, 04:50:26 pm »
+1
So it needs a lot of time and I dont think it will be helpfull to recruit new programers without any expierience.
An uber programming skill is not always the main concern imho. Some programers might agree with me that its often not the problem to code something, but to find the right approach and have a ubiased,fresh view on a matter; the capability to fully adapt to the problem. Unfortunately, routine games tends to develop an indirect proportional relation between those two abilities. More knowledge does not always be as helpfull as one might believe, its more like the opposite case sometimes. I dont want to imply that its necessary to exchange coders on a project every then and when, but there might be times when taking a next step of an evolution is impossible in the current configuration. Then there is the question if an existing organism can adapt to an changing environment ... and how.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 04:57:51 pm by Micah »
I am writing long winded essays in shitty english.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 01, 2013, 05:41:20 pm »
+1

Even if you look only for programers with experience, there is at least half a dozen ready in the cRPG community that I know of. Maybe more. Its a waste to not give them the chance to enhances the game they love  :(

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #188 on: March 15, 2013, 02:29:40 pm »
We work on it whenever we have the time and will to do so.

[19:12:37] <okiN> then strat would be even more dead
[19:12:55] <cmp> more dead than dead?
[19:13:08] <okiN> it's not totally dead right now
[19:13:12] <okiN> just dying
[19:13:34] <okiN> clans are still going about their business etc
[19:13:48] <cmp> it's dead to me

What a bummer, not unexpected still  :cry:

EDIT:turned out it was i quote from may 2012, and it was out of context. CMP ment for him as player it would be dead. Sry for spreading false rumor.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 03:50:52 pm by kinngrimm »
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Herkkutatti666

• Duke
  • Renown: 585
  • Infamy: 285
  • cRPG Player
  • Rips pärs
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 15, 2013, 02:38:19 pm »
Add tourney armor back please .

Offline Viriathus

• Count
  • Renown: 273
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
  • !TI SLLIW DOG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusader_Alliance
  • Game nicks: Templar_Viriathus
« Reply #190 on: March 16, 2013, 05:08:10 pm »
I dont get it, how long until the new game comes out? cause i dont mind waiting and just leaving crpg the way it is at the moment.

the mod is d e a d? sure, let it die, i dont care.

Offline GuiKa

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 48
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolves
  • Game nicks: Wolves_GuiKa
« Reply #191 on: April 03, 2013, 01:08:01 am »
+1
To assume that you can just "assign" coders to a mod dev team and it works out is naive, sorry.

http://tfs.visualstudio.com/ That can help  :rolleyes:

You can restrict access to specifics files and add task to devs or groups of devs an these fellows will be able to check in a new version of the solution based on the tasks they did. Means you have security + versions history + versions change log + assignation of work really simply. And you can get it and deploy for free and in no time (easier to use it with VS but it's not necessary).

For example - "Guika maybe if he is asked nicely" - do you really think it could work out if the dev team has to recruit someone by asking nicely? I have no doubt I could convince 20 good coders to join the team - but I know that none of them would show real dedication and motivation. Motivation has to come from the inside, it can't be done by asking nicely.

http://strategusenhancer.net Well i already started to add new stuff anyway ^^