Author Topic: Dear chadz and the Item Team  (Read 15137 times)

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
Re: Dear chadz and the Item Team
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2013, 02:24:36 pm »
+4
I would agree if there were people in the community who got an idea how cRPG works, got the capability to manage it as in enough knowledge about the Module system and if it wouldn't need cmp to specifically patch WSE and the beta client for it.
I may be able to help.

The biggest issue is the legacy problem of cRPG. Both technical and organisational. It was never planned.
For example the team, it was never properly organised.
Items in particular are especially problematic to put into a patch, because they have to be synched on the website and the game simultaneously.
In cRPG we can't even test patches properly because it all has to be in sync.
I've always wanted to streamline the way community models make it into the game, but I've never gotten to it.
but I do intend to clean up some of the mess in cRPG as well - both technical and organisational.

1) i would like you to state if you intend to keep cRPG/Strategus alife in context of M&B2?

If you don't want a competitor to your own new game, i can understand that, but then you need to make this public and yes then cRPG will die, but you then can fully concentrate on your new baby and noone will later think they wasted time into something you didn't intend to keep alife anyhow. It was stated to me from diverent sides that this would be a possibility and before i or people i am close to would invest into keeping cRPG alife this i need to know.

2) Sebastian a member of Wolves is bugging me for a long time to get something done into the direction of RPG elements for his own mod, he may be someone who would be able to help keeping things alife. Have a look at his mod "Battle of Europe", i would think here in terms of a merger, that but with the clear goal to have a M&B2 mod later on too and castles and towns really existing in Europe. Overall how it would look like is open for discussion i guess, Sebastian has some graphical artists but is lacking coders so you both may benefit.

3) 2) depends storngly on the answer in 1) if you would let die of cRPG/strategus there will be the intent then to implemented in BoE, elements of an RPG and of a Strategy game, then still with your influence as you made the groundwork for so many amazing concepts. I personally would prefer that cRPG/Strategus stays alife, as i just invested too much of my lifetime in this game and this community and aslong i don't see the new game i am not sure that i would then just switch to that one or BoE. Nolifers also have structures they can't just let go ;) .

4) Testing environment, back in the day before my burnout, i was quite involvend in programming, from what you tol me here and what i saw in the dev chat, i take it you haven't got all of the following

a) programming engine(sure)
b) test system which simulates the reallife environment
c) life system(which basicly is your test environment
d)  scheduled, organized and structured test cases for certain releases
e) functinability tests
f) stress tests
g) an organized test crew with access to b), which after testing document their findings

i guess it is more like, you & cmp do stuff, you may look at each others code or just test it yourself, when no error comes out at the end you put it into a release and sometimes you put stuff onto a test drive and ask testers like me to ahve a look at it( seen it 3-4 times in 2 years, but may have missed out on several occasions as i am not always in irc)
Also within your studies you came to know that testing is a science for itself, some which shouldn't be neglected when you go for your own software. If in your studdies you neglected this subject because it can be fucking boring ^^, at one time you really need to get proficent with it! I know of few guys in your team which should have the needed stuff and knowledge to prepare documentations(f.e. Nessaj?).

Everyone knows better ^^, and i have surly not full insight into your routine nor how you set your systems, so my advice may again be mute, test environment also may seem as a huge overhead and depending on the size of a project not really nessarry to the full extent. It is upto you to judge, if but implemented and the processes streamlined for your purposes, you will have less hustle with things you afterwards like here explain to us or appologize for. That is apprecciated when you do it, but doesn't solve the problems.
F.e. the sync, yes a problem, still with some effort you can get a test environment set also for that issue.
Atm we are all your beta testers, so when we see problems we do post them anyhow, but at some point you need a defined test crew, which documents after each step of a test, but alos prepares test documentation in for front befor the tests are started, only then you get controll over testing, the outcomes and by that higher stability and less negativ feedback.

My personal offer is that i can bring people together have a look out for suitable additions for your team and help finding common ground. This is basicly what i do in this comminity in terms of Strategus and Clan Leading anyhow. In addition i still would like to be part of a test crew when you choose to organizee that a bit more professionally.
If you think that would be something you want or need send me pm with requests and we could talk more private also on teamspeak "cotgs.de" or in steam(kinngrimm).
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2013, 03:09:57 pm »
Actually, the issue about not having enough people to help with the items is bullshit. Many capable guys have offered their help in IRC, and the answer was always "no thanks, we don't need any help".

Also, what speaks against a second database and using one of the official servers during release with this database to test stuff? It's called staging, and it's done in every commercial development project. Sure, this would take some time to set up, but it would have been worth it many times over now.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2013, 03:16:09 pm »
Actually, the issue about not having enough people to help with the items is bullshit.

Who said that? It's not a matter of not having enough people.

Offline Micah

• Duke
  • Renown: 539
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Micah_Senpai_von_Krems Glance_the_Useless_von_Krems Arielle_the_little_Mermaid
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2013, 03:57:02 pm »
+4
^So many suggestions go through and are ignored, but even worse is the lack of community mention. Every new armour and code change should have the thinker/catalyst or creator mentioned. This is common knowledge for any development team. I know the creators of the armour are mentioned somewhere but I think a link to their mod should be a minimum or even a thanks for the help forum post mentioning the original creator of an OSP.
If your suggestioin is used , cant you just be happy that you helped the mod envolve ? i mean , its just a suggestion that could have also come from any other player .. is it important that you was first to mention ? are you even 100% sure about it ? AND does it even matter ? you didnt code it and you didnt live with the consequences it would cause .. why  should i care if it was your idea when in the end i would blame the donkeys for including it in the mod ?
I am writing long winded essays in shitty english.

Offline Count_Curtis

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player
  • There's no cure for being a cunt
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Captain_Ludd / Curtis
  • IRC nick: Curtis
« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2013, 04:13:41 pm »
What, you mean no new content? i am so shocked

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2013, 04:26:38 pm »
^So many suggestions go through and are ignored, but even worse is the lack of community mention. Every new armour and code change should have the thinker/catalyst or creator mentioned. This is common knowledge for any development team. I know the creators of the armour are mentioned somewhere but I think a link to their mod should be a minimum or even a thanks for the help forum post mentioning the original creator of an OSP.

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow:  http://forum.meleegaming.com/general-discussion/credits/

Stickied in the most often-used board, or are you talking about something else?
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2013, 04:53:40 pm »
+1

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow:  http://forum.meleegaming.com/general-discussion/credits/

Stickied in the most often-used board, or are you talking about something else?

Sometimes its the playerbase that "hear about something for the first time" a bit late  :P dont chastise them for it !

Offline FrugFrug

• Earl
  • Renown: 493
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: MB Mascot
  • Game nicks: FrugFrug Owl_Beard
« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2013, 07:32:17 pm »
Since the devs seem to be visiting this topic frequently I'll just drop this here: NERF 2H STAB...Please?

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2013, 07:34:30 pm »
Woooooow, chadz your message is like a blessing, now I can believe you're just overworked a bit, and not Just a mean guy  :P

I hope you have no job & no family, because M:BG + cRPG vets are going to be hard on you...

I hope you find a way to organize stuff in no time!

Fixed  8-)
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline DaveUKR

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 242
  • cRPG Player
  • Small rain lays great dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2013, 10:56:30 pm »
+4
The real issue of the most problems is that crpg dev team is open from one side and completely closed from the other side. I bet the best balancing team would be a team of excellent players.

P.S. Like 50% of my fixes have never been added to crpg (fixed maps, fixed collision meshes etc). And I just cba to beg to add them.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 11:04:14 pm by DaveUKR »

Offline zottlmarsch

• King
  • Renown: 1114
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems (Founder)
  • Game nicks: Eberhart & Juta von Krems
  • IRC nick: Dan
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2013, 12:50:34 am »
+12
1 year on, 170 + votes later, still no lederhosen....  :cry:

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2013, 01:10:10 am »

I am confused. Who said what? You quoted something I said and ask who said it? Is that some kind of insult? Or did you mean the next sentence maybe? I can remember two occasions where I asked how progress on new item patch was and whether I or anyone else could help accelerating it, and at least cmp and Shik said no, there is no help the community could provide to accelerate it.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2013, 01:56:56 am »
I am confused. Who said what? You quoted something I said and ask who said it? Is that some kind of insult? Or did you mean the next sentence maybe?

Well, you adressed the given issue that they have not enough people and chadz asked you who claimed that the debate in this thread has anything to do with an issue having to less people in the first place. crystal clear, no?

Offline Belatu

• Count
  • Renown: 242
  • Infamy: 111
  • what
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Belatucadros
« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2013, 02:52:53 am »
+1

enough people who actually plays?
My fridge is my shield

Offline Carthan

• Duke
  • Renown: 612
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • Mad scientist and creator of QUANTUM-KAFEIN
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BlackCompany
  • Game nicks: Vandal (Carthan)
« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2013, 04:58:11 am »
+2
(click to show/hide)
Upon reading this I could not stop myself from shedding manly tears
Yes, been posted before. Rather than practicing swinging a weapon, it would be better to go 1 hander and learn a martial art that specializes in takedowns, because that's all that really matters in that sport.