Author Topic: Arrow Weight vs Arrow Count  (Read 2950 times)

Offline BattalGazi

• Earl
  • Renown: 346
  • Infamy: 115
  • cRPG Player
  • Count the feathers on my Deli Cap!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans (GK)
  • Game nicks: GK_BattalGazi
  • IRC nick: BattalGazi
Arrow Weight vs Arrow Count
« on: January 12, 2013, 02:29:39 pm »
+2
Hi all !

This might be a already late topic to discuss but I personally find it a bit illogical to see that a stack of 20 tatar arrows weigh 8 kgs. I know that this game is highly under the influence of 2h/pole and 1h infantry, thus trying to avoid archery has been a top priority for this big part of the community, however doubling the weight of arrows should not be a way of balancing.

I would rather suggest reducing the amount of arrows in a stack rather than increasing their weight because of several reasons;

- I am practicing archery myself irl and each of standard war arrows does not exceed 50 grams ( assume you have steel complex and heavy war heads, this can go up to 100 grams max. no more )

- In game MW arrows are 10 kg, MW Barbed arrows are 9 kg, MW tatar arrows are 8 kg and MW bodkins are 7kg for each stack. Even if you go extreme and assume that quivers make the half of this weight ( which is illogical also because war quivers are generally made out of woolen cloth, or leather with some decorations during medieval times. Considering their sizes, quivers are not expected to exceed 3 kgs as they lack heavy metals or plates ), each arrow will weigh: MW arrow (185 g: 5 kg quiver), MW barbed ( 204 g: 4.5 kg quiver), MW tatar ( 200g: 4kg quiver) and MW bodkin (205 g: 3.5 kg quiver). If you reduce the quiver weight to normal and expected values, the arrow weights turn out to be more and more unrealistic. But even these results are unreal and not balanced.

- Many archers reported ghost arrow effect after the doubling the weights. Ghost arrow effect is when your arrow goes through the enemy object body without being calculated as a hit.

- Doubling the weights changed the trajectory of the arrows as the strength of the bows remained the same. This made the archer to aim much higher than the target for long distance shots, which made it much much harder for the archer to register a hit. Because the reticule should be put way above the target, the vertical distance between the target and the reticule is too much for a quick visual calculation.

What I will suggest is to reduce the amount of arrows in a stack instead of making their weights way more than of reasonable and realistic values. Having a less amount of arrows will make the archer to prioritize targets instead of raining his stack upon the enemy. So that both our ranged community and infantry community will be happy.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 05:24:41 pm by BattalGazi »

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 641
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: Arrow Weight vs Arrow Count
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 02:31:54 pm »
+10
You want to be able to kite again?

Denied.

Offline Haboe

• King
  • Renown: 1090
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Born with a shield on my back. Difficult birth.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Haboe
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 02:36:38 pm »
+4
I prefer archers with good aim. They shoot other archers.
Now its just seems like everyone randomly shoots into the melee-croud, since hunting other archers got 2 hard with this weight nerf.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 02:45:57 pm »
+3
id put it 20 kilos.

Lets see how you fuckers run marathons with that.
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 02:48:30 pm »
+3
move to realism with the katana threads please
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
  • Renown: 1023
  • Infamy: 306
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Hermann_von_Krems
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 03:17:08 pm »
id put it 20 kilos.

Lets see how you fuckers run marathons with that.

Why the offensive language when somebody is posting a suggestion. I hope something bad happens to you

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 03:19:46 pm »
it was a joke... :)

btw i totally agree with this, i have no idea what will happen, but lets try it

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 03:27:59 pm »
+2
Why the offensive language when somebody is posting a suggestion. I hope something bad happens to you

i think im just gonna ignore you from now on...   yes that is exactly what im gonna do, have fun talking to yourself, but you are used to it by now i bet.
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 03:50:41 pm »
+6
- Many archers reported ghost arrow effect after the doubling the weights. Ghost arrow effect is when your arrow goes through the enemy object body without being calculated as a hit.

- Doubling the weights changed the trajectory of the arrows as the strength of the bows remained the same. This made the archer to aim much higher than the target for long distance shots, which made it much much harder for the archer to register a hit. Because the reticule should be put way above the target, the vertical distance between the target and the reticule is too much for a quick visual calculation.

Wat.
Weight has no effect whatsoever on trajectory, speed, hits and all that stuff. It only affects your running speed.

Offline Blackbow

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 282
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Murcs
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 04:06:47 pm »
Wat.
Weight has no effect whatsoever on trajectory, speed, hits and all that stuff. It only affects your running speed.

read my threads plz !!
i'm not dev but i'm pretty sure (98,9%) thant ghost arrows effect is caused by nerfing missile speed nerf after nerf ...

Offline buba

• Count
  • Renown: 193
  • Infamy: 33
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Buba_theVagabond
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 04:13:23 pm »
Might have more to do with trajectory, speed, and not weight.

still the weight thing is silly.

But whatever.

Offline Swaggart

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 04:55:03 pm »
What I will suggest is to reduce the amount of arrows in a stack instead of making their weights way more than reasonable and realistic values. Having a less amount of arrows will make the archer to prioritize targets instead of raining his stack upon the enemy. So that both our ranged community and infantry community will be happy.

This would screw 2 slot bow users a lot and 1 slot bow users might completely abandon bringing a melee weapon and instead opt for 3 stacks of arrows.

Offline BattalGazi

• Earl
  • Renown: 346
  • Infamy: 115
  • cRPG Player
  • Count the feathers on my Deli Cap!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans (GK)
  • Game nicks: GK_BattalGazi
  • IRC nick: BattalGazi
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 05:43:12 pm »
To me, having a stack of 40 arrows sounds less realistic than having these arrows weigh 16 kilos ! Their weight is way too far from being realistic. I guess reducing the arrow count will change the balance more effectively. An archer with less arrows will need to be more careful in choosing his targets, he will need to stick with the team instead of dwelling on top of the hills/roofs.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 05:44:35 pm »
What I will suggest is to reduce the amount of arrows in a stack instead of making their weights way more than reasonable and realistic values. Having a less amount of arrows will make the archer to prioritize targets instead of raining his stack upon the enemy. So that both our ranged community and infantry community will be happy.
This shows you got no idea what the infantry community wants, the infantry community wants my old friendchers to stop kiting, that's pretty much it.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 06:03:21 pm »
+1
This shows you got no idea what the infantry community wants, the infantry community wants my old friendchers to stop kiting, that's pretty much it.

No, you've got no idea what they want. The infantry community wants to stop getting hit by any ranged at all, period. That's pretty much it.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln