Author Topic: This double hit business  (Read 17581 times)

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
Re: This double hit business
« Reply #135 on: January 10, 2013, 07:34:23 pm »
+3
This just encourages more armor, more strength, and more crushthrough, 3 things that already make the game less fun for most people.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #136 on: January 10, 2013, 07:39:37 pm »
You forgot to mention that it slows down the game and makes it less skill based.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 10, 2013, 07:42:25 pm »
No, maybe we should just go out with a big sword and start cutting people down :S

As I was mentioning before on irc, changes towards realism are inevitable in gaming world.

10 years ago, if you suggested aiming down the sights of a weapon, people would tell you to join the army irl. But today, any FPS with crosshair aiming would probably fail.

Not only that, but you are playing a more realistic version of native, and you complain about realism? Seems pretty hypocritical to me.

Realism is pretty wide term and relative to individual perception.

Realism is a means and not the end of a game. Maybe not of all "games" with a wider definition, but in cRPG, and as stated long ago by chadz, balance is valued over realism. And I beleive the quality of the gameplay, which I think is the main factor that attracts people towards Warband and cRPG as an improvement of Warband MP, also is more important than realism. Realism is nice, but first it often goes against fun and balance, second because of all the limitations of this mod, oftentimes an unrealistic solution to a small issue leads to the greater picture being more realistic (e.g. shields giving a forcefield against ranged).

You forgot to mention that it slows down the game and makes it less skill based.

I might want to threaten to demand my money back because of the trolling, but I won't because I wouldn't do it anyway.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 07:45:54 pm by Kafein »

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #138 on: January 10, 2013, 07:43:18 pm »
+3
No, maybe we should just go out with a big sword and start cutting people down :S

I play this game because I like the challenge of playing against other people (more specifically, I like to melee in this game against other people), not to calm the voices in my head telling me to go on a killing spree.

As I was mentioning before on irc, changes towards realism are inevitable in gaming world.

No they are not.

Last time I checked, DayZ is way more popular than vanilla ArmA, and Minecraft's a pretty big success too.

10 years ago, if you suggested aiming down the sights of a weapon, people would tell you to join the army irl. But today, any FPS with crosshair aiming would probably fail.

CS 1.6 is the most played game when me and my friends get together and LAN... There are a lot of really fun old shooters. Serious Sam is still among my personal top 10 fav games.

Not only that, but you are playing a more realistic version of native, and you complain about realism? Seems pretty hypocritical to me.

I didn't start playing C-rpg because it's more realistic (even though I doubt that. Anyway, I don't care), but because it had nerfed archers and more weapons to choose from, plus persistant characters making it easier to develop your own style of play. Hated the grinding from day one though, but what stopped me from playing nearly as much as I did before was the turnrate nerf, and the fact that it's slow as balls.

Realism is pretty wide term and relative to individual perception.

Teacups are full of tea, except when they are not.

Oh, and this change looks like complete bullshit to me.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 07:46:43 pm by Dezilagel »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #139 on: January 10, 2013, 07:47:34 pm »
+1

Well, I think it actually speeds up the game since everyone will just be mashing attack as fast as they can. "Less skill based" to me means more "WoW-like", i.e. two players square off and queue up their best attacks, whoever has the best gear wins the fight.

I think everyone wants a more physics-based combat system, but as it relates to animation sweet spots (light, fast weapon=bigger sweet spot, heavy, slow weapon=small sweet spot). The fact that damage interrupts attacks is pretty much the foundation of M&B, and what separates it from MMORPGs.

Offline Berserkadin

• Duke
  • Renown: 592
  • Infamy: 145
    • View Profile
  • Faction: -
  • Game nicks: Krewl_The_Urist_Fox
« Reply #140 on: January 10, 2013, 07:50:35 pm »
+2
So when will you be adding classes? I want to be a paladin, or maybe a druid!

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2013, 07:59:17 pm »
+3
Well, I think it actually speeds up the game since everyone will just be mashing attack as fast as they can. "Less skill based" to me means more "WoW-like", i.e. two players square off and queue up their best attacks, whoever has the best gear wins the fight.

That was sarcasm. It's easy to say that this change favors armor, strength and crushthrough (because you survive more and hit harder), but you forget that armor lowers your effective weapon proficiency, high strength means that you have lower weapon proficiency and crushthrough weapons are slow. The "second" hit isn't that useful if you are too slow to pull it off.

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
« Reply #142 on: January 10, 2013, 08:00:25 pm »
+2
So when will you be adding classes? I want to be a paladin, or maybe a druid!

Paladins are recruiting! Join Paladins today!

Offline BADPLAYER_old2

• Earl
  • Renown: 360
  • Infamy: 235
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Not a Bad player
« Reply #143 on: January 10, 2013, 08:16:01 pm »
+4
That was sarcasm. It's easy to say that this change favors armor, strength and crushthrough (because you survive more and hit harder), but you forget that armor lowers your effective weapon proficiency, high strength means that you have lower weapon proficiency and crushthrough weapons are slow. The "second" hit isn't that useful if you are too slow to pull it off.

You haven't played this game in a long time and it shows.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2665
  • Infamy: 2237
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 10, 2013, 08:17:05 pm »
+2

Great Maul is among the easiest weapons to use in this game, even with my 30 armor. It's not slow if you know how and when to use it.

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #145 on: January 10, 2013, 08:19:36 pm »
+2
Try using it against someone like Hetman or Quatal of the Greys. You won't do shit because of how much they will spam your every attack with 1h.

There's this new thing called "sideswings" that I've heard of...

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Blueberry Muffin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 749
  • Infamy: 119
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 10, 2013, 08:19:54 pm »
+7
Gameplay>Realism.

That is all.
Lizard_Man: Fuck all that! Rather buy me 4 cans of Stella..
Cymro: Wife beater stella
Lizard_Man: It'll get ya drunk! You'll be fucking fat girls in no time! You might even fight a nigga or two! Mmmm-mmm, bitch!

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 10, 2013, 08:20:15 pm »
You haven't played this game in a long time and it shows.

What is the attack speed difference in ms between a player with 130WPF and a 90 speed weapon and a player with 175WPF and a 96 speed weapon (assuming 2h right swing)?

Gameplay>Realism.

That is all.

I agree. That's why this change is good.

Offline BADPLAYER_old2

• Earl
  • Renown: 360
  • Infamy: 235
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Not a Bad player
« Reply #148 on: January 10, 2013, 08:22:30 pm »
+3
What is the attack speed difference in ms between a player with 130WPF and a 90 speed weapon and a player with 175WPF and a 96 speed weapon (assuming 2h right swing)?

Yeah theorycrafting balance doesn't work and thats why this, the turning change ect are all bad.

Play the game or get someone else who does to do changes, instead of the theorycraftings of someone mediocre at the game.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1490
  • Infamy: 1812
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 10, 2013, 08:23:40 pm »
+1
Try using it against someone like Hetman or Quatal of the Greys. You won't do shit because of how much they will spam your every attack with 1h.

They are the only ones pose a treat to maulers. But with some proper footwork you can avoid range of their left swing spam and hit them after, killing them or knocking them down. And they are threat only to me, because I don't wear head armor. If I had some plate helmet they would die most of the time.

Out of all strength crutchers you can see on servers, only Butan is skilled because he chambers often and knows when to strike to avoid blocks. Dudes like Skono and b0nk are literally crutching on gear, they are average melee fighters at best. Butan is deadly even in light armor, Skono and b0nk aren't.