Author Topic: Ranged on a roof  (Read 4696 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 960
  • Infamy: 742
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Ranged on a roof
« on: December 28, 2012, 08:51:10 pm »
+10
Despite the fact that ladders got removed, archers and other ranged scum still find a way to get on (inaccessible) places such as house roofs. Honestly, I wouldn't have any problem with that if not for a simple fact that people who are in charge of maps didn't block most passages that lead to roofs.

My question to the admins and higher authorities? Does that means being on roof on those unpatched maps is the same as exploiting or it is allowed? If you think it's exploit, please "ask nicely" those roofmongers to get off during the round, not just at the very end because it gives them unfair advantage.

Offline Panos

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 1319
  • Infamy: 551
  • cRPG Player
  • Hate for 2h kuyak my old friends.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Varangian Guard
  • Game nicks: Varangian_Panos
  • IRC nick: Panos
Re: Ranged on a roof
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 08:54:51 pm »
+31
NERF 2H.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline highglandeur

• Count
  • Renown: 165
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 08:57:37 pm »
Who cares about some roofcampers when two-handed nubs are EVERYWHERE?

Offline agweber

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 21
  • Beware the Coming of the Great White Handkerchief
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FIDLGB
  • Game nicks: Armentia, Ranged
  • IRC nick: agweber
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 09:03:39 pm »
+2
If they used a siege shield to get up there it's not okay, otherwise if they can get up there, you can get up there. Learning to parkour maps is as vital a skill as footwork for combat imho.

Also on the topic, a lot of maps are being ruined by blocking off rooftops. Way to take the strategy out of cRPG.

When I first started however many months ago, I loved seeing a rooftop of ranged with the entrance/ladder being protected by infantry, and the infantry being protected by cav. This is teamwork at its best.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2506
  • Infamy: 1974
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 09:04:48 pm »
+4
Who cares about some roofcampers when two-handed nubs are EVERYWHERE?

Oh well, personally I'm not having many issues with 2H. In groups they aren't that strong and on their own most are noobs. Good ones mostly abuse kicking, but I'm not sure am I for further kick nerfs or not. Strength build combined with high armor rating combined with 2H is the real issue.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 09:08:03 pm by Leshma »

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2397
  • Infamy: 1028
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 09:09:09 pm »
+1
If they used a siege shield to get up there it's not okay, otherwise if they can get up there, you can get up there. Learning to parkour maps is as vital a skill as footwork for combat imho.

Also on the topic, a lot of maps are being ruined by blocking off rooftops. Way to take the strategy out of cRPG.

When I first started however many months ago, I loved seeing a rooftop of ranged with the entrance/ladder being protected by infantry, and the infantry being protected by cav. This is teamwork at its best.

Wholeheartedly agree. But they "fixed" maps for a reason. If they didn't, there would be no reason to complain.

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 09:11:37 pm »
+2
It's unfair when some people have the player skill to make trick jumps and others dont.
Remove that too, there's no saving this mod anyway...

Offline agweber

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 21
  • Beware the Coming of the Great White Handkerchief
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FIDLGB
  • Game nicks: Armentia, Ranged
  • IRC nick: agweber
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 09:14:34 pm »
+3
It's unfair when some people have the player skill to make trick jumps and others dont.
Remove that too, there's no saving this mod anyway...

May as well remove manual blocking while you're at it.

Offline Dach

• Earl
  • Renown: 444
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dach_BRD / SNSD_Taeyeon
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 09:53:04 pm »
+5
Bring back ladders!  :D
A lot of people in the NA community know that Dach rages and in the process of his uncontrollable rage, he tends to kick people.

You've been warned! :twisted:

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 09:58:53 pm »
+1
The rules state that camping a roof and hiding are okay to do, as long as you are not the last person alive in your team. If you are the last one alive, you must leave your perch or hiding spot and fight. I've had in-game admins on NA_1 and EU_1 tell me otherwise. I didn't pursue the argument any further, because I think that a case-to-case ruling by the admins works better than a draconian YES/NO system. Someone might not be breaking the rules, but if they are ruining the fun for a large number of players admins should be able to say "hey, knock it off" or similar.

I love seeing a team in battle use terrain to their advantage. Defending choke points and firing from a good spot is much more interesting (and fun!) than just walking forwards until you can swing.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 10:10:20 pm »
+15
Despite the fact that ladders got removed, archers and other ranged scum still find a way to get on (inaccessible) places such as house roofs.

Those are not archers. Those are wizards.

Offline Azlanek

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • The post is over to the left
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Khagataz, Azlanek
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 10:31:45 pm »
+1
They should bring back accessible roofs. It would be much more fun to conduct ambushes from the rooftops.
The post is up there

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 10:44:49 pm »
+2
I'd  be fine with it if there were more viable counters against it..  Right now, the only choice is to ignore it. Even with a successful suicide charge, the opposing team can just destroy the ladder.
The (flat) roof provides cover against other ranged, allows another blind spot to shoot over shields, safety from cav, a controllable choke point for infantry to flow in, and melee don't know from where you'll begin to shoot from. Slanted roofs are easier to deal with since it leaves them susceptible to other ranged.

There are maps with built-in ladders that pose no large problems. It would be nice if the map provides a limited number of movable ladders. Player brought ladders from spawn, even if there are dedicated ladder users, balance/team-switching makes it difficult to ensure both teams get them.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 10:54:27 pm »
+2
I'd even be fine with re-adding ladders if all roofs were easily accessible by multiple paths (including at least two that cav can get up on easily), but most of the roofs that you can get onto you can only reach by jumping on that fence and then onto that barrel and then onto that rooftop and then onto that other rooftop and then onto that wall and that means it's a long difficult path were the first my old friendcher who got up there can freely fire on everyone else, and people can only go up one person at a time, and cav can't reach it.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 11:48:44 pm »
Those are not archers. Those are wizards.

I would say that if trying to get access to these roofs automatically translates in your death (because you get shot to pieces if you try to climb up there), these roofs are for all intents and purposes unreachable.

Also, if ranged are ever going to get invulnerability roofs back, I want flying cavalry and infantry ghosting under the terrain.