Poll

Should it be allowed?

No, not at all, and things like this never should.
47 (35.9%)
No, it was used for personal gain and the public wasn't made aware of it, even though it is now open it should be closed due to the "abuse". Other things which are announced and released to all/not purely your own clan/alliance should however be
16 (12.2%)
Yes, however from now on these kind of things should only be allowed with an announcement at development start and with betatesters from various different groups.
34 (26%)
Yes, and you should be allowed to keep it for yourself, you made it, your choice.
34 (26%)

Total Members Voted: 131

Author Topic: Should the Strategus Viewer be allowed?  (Read 2608 times)

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
Should the Strategus Viewer be allowed?
« on: December 13, 2012, 03:52:59 pm »
+1
(click to show/hide)
However, if the community as a whole decides that they don't want this to be allowed, I will accept this and outlaw usage of the data like this.
(click to show/hide)
-chadz

So, since Anders closed his thread and since the poll result was quite negative I figure someone should open a thread and finish the poll.

What it is:
This is what it is:
(click to show/hide)
-Kinngrimm
History:
(click to show/hide)
-Me.

Something chadz said: ...
(click to show/hide)

Random relevant threads:
http://bundle of sticksop-whining/
http://bundle of sticksrategus-enhancment-project/
http://bundle of sticksing-or-no/
http://forum.meleegaming.com/diplomacy/anti-uif-troop-collection-competition-(eu-dhirim-area)/

Please try to keep this thread somewhat civilized unlike what happened to the others, let's try and get a final decision on the matter.
Oh and I'm ending this poll the 25th, morning.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 11:45:13 am by Zlisch_The_Butcher »
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Haboe

• King
  • Renown: 1090
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Born with a shield on my back. Difficult birth.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Haboe
Re: Should the Strategus Viewer be allowed?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 03:59:52 pm »
Zlisch, topic is rather unclear, use quotes instead of spoilers ;)

I don't really care for it, if its done developing and works perfect i wouldn't mind it being implemented by the devs into the site (like what happened with the eye-candy thing strat look)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 04:02:51 pm »
Zlisch, topic is rather unclear, use quotes instead of spoilers ;)

I don't really care for it, if its done developing and works perfect i wouldn't mind it being implemented by the devs into the site (like what happened with the eye-candy thing strat look)
Still need spoilers but added quotes to make it clearer.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 05:07:30 pm »
please make separated notes with informations instead of including them into quotes.
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 05:18:13 pm »
+5
Since when did we live in a democracy. If chadz didnt like it he would have banned it straight out. He will have said that to appease the public. Do not be fooled by the ploys of the dictator.
Turtles

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 05:22:18 pm »
+2
I personally don't think tools that allow you to see what others in your faction see should be allowed.  If that's the case, then we should pack it up and turn this into a single player game.

If they want to make it easier to communicate what you see with your leaders, they can implement tools for that directly into strategus (like "officers orders" or a messaging system that doesn't require you to use the main c-rpg site).  Or allow a user to easily send a screen cap to their officers.

But I think that removing the need for people in the faction to communicate what they see to their higher-ups, is a bad thing.  It removes the fog of war even more.

And going one step farther, I whole-heartedly disagree with the dev's decision in strat 4 to allow fief information to be seen no matter how far away from the fief you are.  I think it should be like strat 3, you have to be relatively close to see fief information.

God forbid you'd actually need a scout or a messenger or a reason to use diplomacy for trading (or gathering information).
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 05:28:33 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Haboe

• King
  • Renown: 1090
  • Infamy: 331
  • Born with a shield on my back. Difficult birth.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Haboe
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 05:23:35 pm »
+1
Still need spoilers but added quotes to make it clearer.

I meant like actual quotes, not pieces of text in an empty quote :P Wanna see in what context they are said, where and when they are said, and if its accurate what you quoted :)

If you make a topic combining other ppl's words make sure you do it like a sir  :mrgreen:

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 05:30:38 pm »
I meant like actual quotes, not pieces of text in an empty quote :P Wanna see in what context they are said, where and when they are said, and if its accurate what you quoted :)

If you make a topic combining other ppl's words make sure you do it like a sir  :mrgreen:
To much damn work, they can be found in the random links included, dig them up yourself.

Offline GuiKa

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 48
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolves
  • Game nicks: Wolves_GuiKa
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 07:12:16 pm »
+1
So, since Anders closed his thread and since the poll result was quite negative I figure someone should open a thread and finish the poll.

46.7% Against

53.3% For

It was positive =)

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 07:15:54 pm »
+1
46.7% Against

53.3% For

It was positive =)

By a tiny majority...hardly a mandate to allow such programs as these to be openly allowed for use.  Especially considering how many strat players don't check these forums.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 07:25:43 pm »
46.7% Against

53.3% For

It was positive =)
Well, just saying but the vast majority of the ones that voted for it still considered the way you went by doing it completely unacceptable.
And actually that is wrong, 9.8% voted for a link to one of chadz posts, as in, voted randomly.

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 07:25:55 pm »
Quote from: chadz
Second, it seems that clan relationships are deciding stances in this discussion. This is really not helpful at all. I know it's hard to do, but try to judge it from an objective point of view.

@Nessaj, I see your point, but I am just having a different opinion. I mean there are people sitting down and writing tools, extensions, for a game that many like to play, but has a crude UI, to make it easier to use. This is, in my opinion, awesome. I really love that. I maybe should have stated more clearly from the beginning that I like it when people do that, and I want to encourage it, not prevent it.

What I'm saying is, extending a game can be beautiful, and can really enrich the game as a whole. I always considered strat a community project, believe it or not, and I'm always happy when people do stuff that I didn't have the time to do (shared view wasn't done because of server capacity).

as you provided some nice quotes so i thought this one also shouldn't be left out

EDIT:
Well, just saying but the vast majority of the ones that voted for it still considered the way you went by doing it completely unacceptable.
And actually that is wrong, 9.8% voted for a link to one of chadz posts, as in, voted randomly.
the different options for the poll in the other thread had been changed in the middle of that discussion, therefor the actual opinions behind those options to chose from may differ from the last stated options.
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 07:34:51 pm »
as you provided some nice quotes so i thought this one also shouldn't be left out
Added
EDIT:the different options for the poll in the other thread had been changed in the middle of that discussion, therefor the actual opinions behind those options to chose from may differ from the last stated options.
Pretty sure he reset the vote counts then, if not, Anders shouldn't be allowed to make polls.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 08:01:08 pm by Zlisch_The_Butcher »

Offline highglandeur

• Count
  • Renown: 165
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 12:16:55 am »
9.8% voted for a link to one of chadz posts, as in, voted randomly.
It wasn't random voting at all, it was pointing out that the mighty god said he would tell us what the fuck he thinks of it later but that so far he agreed for us to use it, so it was a yes until decided otherwise by devs, don't make a mockery of our donkey democracy you goat loving prophet of doom!

Offline Tanken

• King
  • Renown: 1463
  • Infamy: 395
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Tanken
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 12:27:12 am »
I personally don't see anything wrong with it. It's a coordination tool more than anything. Perhaps one change I'd make to it is the highlighting of other tokens outside your proximity you can normally see, simply because that seems odd in a way. Other than that, seeing your troops, and ally troops moving and all that jazz doesn't bother me.
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!
Thanks to all of those who contributed.