Author Topic: So, is Horse Archery Skill really Balanced?  (Read 17336 times)

Offline Tindel

• Earl
  • Renown: 333
  • Infamy: 238
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Tindel
Re: So, is Horse Archery Skill really Balanced?
« Reply #135 on: December 09, 2012, 11:04:20 am »
Why dont we have a HA or ranged only server?  That would be excellent.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #136 on: December 09, 2012, 01:48:13 pm »
Don't know how to combat it? My main is 2h hero, my alt is 1h pussy, no shield, could you tell me how am I supposed to fight your class? Should I spit on you or what? The only way I can fight against horse archers is wait for flag, then let them shot me. Hm, sounds like a fun!  :wink:

Not particularly hard. Seen plenty of people able to spin around lots and then slice a HA off his horse when he gets frustrated and go for the bump. HA's have to ride close to score hit after hit. If they don't, your moving around should give you more than enough chance. If you have even half decent armour 1 or 2 arrows really won't hurt much. The HA will likely make a mistake at some point you've just got to be patient.

Unfortunately rarely do melee do this. They either just try to run in one direction or give up. Moving as much as possible is by far the best you can do and you can waste an HA's entire quiver doing this. If you are with team mates then there's no need to do this in the first place as HA will hit and run.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 09, 2012, 01:51:34 pm »
+2
Not particularly hard. Seen plenty of people able to spin around lots and then slice a HA off his horse when he gets frustrated and go for the bump. HA's have to ride close to score hit after hit. If they don't, your moving around should give you more than enough chance. If you have even half decent armour 1 or 2 arrows really won't hurt much. The HA will likely make a mistake at some point you've just got to be patient.

Unfortunately rarely do melee do this. They either just try to run in one direction or give up. Moving as much as possible is by far the best you can do and you can waste an HA's entire quiver doing this. If you are with team mates then there's no need to do this in the first place as HA will hit and run.

That's about as effective a way of "fighting" HA as shielders are a counter to kiters.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #138 on: December 09, 2012, 01:58:15 pm »
Well it actually works. In a 1vs1 situation. No different to when people used to do stupid things like spin-stab ect. Sure you might look like a retard but it wastes HA's arrows, avoids them and can land you hits on their horse/them.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #139 on: December 09, 2012, 03:14:31 pm »
+1
Why dont we have a HA or ranged only server?  That would be excellent.

Because no one would play it, I certainly wouldn't play on there with my HA, it would be pointless because the HA's whole reason to exist is to annoy whining Infantry and enemy cavalry.

But yeah, most of the people whining about HA have never even played HA, go get one to level with a 15/24 build and tell me how easy it is, EVERYONE targets you, you're in light armour with small HP, on a fast moving horse,when you get hit by something it HURTS hard. Hitting people at full gallop is NOT point and click. Repairs are also horrendous. I reserve my right to be an annoying douche for all of these reasons.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 03:18:43 pm by Leesin »

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #140 on: December 09, 2012, 04:10:47 pm »
There haven't been a melee server for ages.

Making this about a vocal minority who couldn't even support the style of gameplay they claim they are after.  :lol:
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 09, 2012, 05:50:34 pm »
We have barely enough to get the main EU server active in the evenings..IF EU1 removed ranged or nerfed it to pure support I wouldn't lose sleep over it, but i'm not suggesting I want to play on melee vs melee only, especially not on an obscure server when we have barely enough for the main Number 1 server. Is it even up to date without polestagger and stuff?

Ranged adds another dimension to the game that would be a shame to lose..we just have far too many and the actual classes are far too shallow compared to the rest of the game
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #142 on: December 09, 2012, 07:04:32 pm »
Making this about a vocal minority who couldn't even support the style of gameplay they claim they are after.  :lol:
That's ok then. Removed the -.

Also, lol at Tindel the QQ my old friend. I love it when people like him, who claims 2h is the hardest class, whines about others :D
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Bonze

• Knight
  • Renown: 47
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Anti-Fagcher-Liberation-Front (AFLF)
  • Game nicks: King of FF bump
« Reply #143 on: December 09, 2012, 08:18:11 pm »
Seen Today , HA with 20 kills 
All what you want is his build and his loomed items 

BUT

and your SILLY THREAD 
Got no Balls? Play archer. Got no sex? Play horse archer.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #144 on: December 09, 2012, 10:23:55 pm »
+1
fat idiot broke the thread again
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Tindel

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 09, 2012, 10:32:05 pm »
That's ok then. Removed the -.

Also, lol at Tindel the QQ my old friend. I love it when people like him, who claims 2h is the hardest class, whines about others :D

Tell me where i have written or said that 2h is the hardest class.  I have never said that.
Also im not QQing,  the HA my old friends in the thread are qq.

Thrower is probably the hardest class, since they suck balls

Offline Tindel

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 09, 2012, 10:34:09 pm »
Because no one would play it, I certainly wouldn't play on there with my HA, it would be pointless because the HA's whole reason to exist is to annoy whining Infantry and enemy cavalry.

But yeah, most of the people whining about HA have never even played HA, go get one to level with a 15/24 build and tell me how easy it is, EVERYONE targets you, you're in light armour with small HP, on a fast moving horse,when you get hit by something it HURTS hard. Hitting people at full gallop is NOT point and click. Repairs are also horrendous. I reserve my right to be an annoying douche for all of these reasons.

Of course no one would play it, the whole point of HA is to ruin everyone elses fun.  They dont want their fun ruined.  Imagine 50vs 50  HA's riding around in circles firing arrows. A glorious sight!

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #147 on: December 09, 2012, 10:39:07 pm »
+4
Mounted ranged is only fun for you playing it, the rest of us hates the existence of the class. And for all you turds that are going to yell at me that you should be able to play the game in a way you like, you're wrong. Cause I would like to play the game as a flamberge wielding centaur with a jetpack and I can't.

So for being a selfish dick, you get the effectivity of a stone, seems fair to me.

Why are the HA's/Archers -ing this?

It's completely true from the perspective of someone playing any kind of melee build.

Leesin seems to understand. Sure I'd tell him to go fuck himself if he showed up on the server, but I'd do so in a heartwarming and non-condescending manner while still letting my tears of rage fill his now overflowing cup of joy. Rainbows. Yay.

The rest of you seem to want to have your cakes and eat them. If you play HA noone but other HA and some stuck-up ranged (who keep telling themselves that getting bump-shot is FUN) will ever like your playstyle, and consequently your internet persona. Just stop trying.

All you HA crying ybout repairs, maybe you should think about that when delaying rounds till the very end upping everybodys chance of repairs including yours.   :wink:

Best post in thread.

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 09, 2012, 10:44:43 pm »
+5
Saying that we should consider the fun an archer is having from shooting people that can't fight back is like saying that we should consider the pleasure a parasite is having from leeching victims blood. This game is about melee, your interference into the game mechanics of melee fights by arrow stagger is already more than enough and really frustrating, asking to boost your damage so that you're able to score kills without any risk is ridiculous.

Do realize that you are the guys who bring guns to a knife fight and ruin everyone elses fun.

PS.  Actually I'll just requote one of the first answers. It should end this silly thread right there, no idea what are you even talking about for ten pages.

Mounted ranged is only fun for you playing it, the rest of us hates the existence of the class. And for all you turds that are going to yell at me that you should be able to play the game in a way you like, you're wrong. Cause I would like to play the game as a flamberge wielding centaur with a jetpack and I can't.

So for being a selfish dick, you get the effectivity of a stone, seems fair to me.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 11:04:02 pm by Tot. »
Mods compatible with cRPG. New crosshairs, textures, sounds, yay.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #149 on: December 09, 2012, 11:25:21 pm »
+7
I want to add only a few statements from my side:

- suggesting to remove an entire class is a complete dick move. It shows ignorance, lack of will to put oneself in the position of the others, and generally disqualifies you from the discussion. Suggesting to make the game plainer really is unacceptable. Grow some empathy.

- Melee only or ranged only servers are actually the same thing like above. The game is meant to work as a whole, and not in parts. That's why such servers never have prevailed, nor will they ever prevail. The gameplay will become too dull.

- Suggesting to change builds or equipment is not acceptable either. Balancing should take place AFTER people decided for a certain build (which was planned by the developers to be a viable build, ofc). You like to play horse archers, and you don't want people to tell you to have to bring a melee weapon or a shield or whatever to be effective, do you? So please don't tell other people to bring shields or throwing weapons. All featured builds should be equally viable.

- Psychological warfare and having fun by annoying the enemy or provoking aggressions is highly unsocial. You seem to forget that after all you don't play AGAINST, but WITH the others, even if they are in the opposing team. They have the same right to have fun like you, and trying to annoy people on purpose is very egoistic and - in my eyes - shows lack of maturity. Because if everybody was trying to annoy the shit out of the others people would GTX by and by, and after some time there is nobody you can play with. Having a community which lasts long means not only to keep the annoyances as low as possible, it also means to keep their distribution as even as possible.

- Yes, there are counter classes in this game. But you always need to look at the whole class balance to determine whether something is okay or not. Yes, a plated 2hd hero is a pretty strong class in many, if not most situations. But if he, in certain situations, has no chance of winning the round, something is not okay in my eyes. I think all classes should have the same chance of influencing the end of the round by the same extend (!). But if the end of the round is achieved by killing all enemies, and a few, mobile and ranged classes are fighting some slow, short ranged ones, I call it unfair. Never mind if both classes have the same amount of kills, or even if the second class has more kills.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)