Poll

Keep this program or not?

Make it open source or announce it if you use it
Unfair Remove it
Keep it as is
http://forum.meleegaming.com/strategus-general-discussion/cheating-or-no/msg670358/#msg670358

Author Topic: Cheating or No?  (Read 11981 times)

Offline Farrix

• Baron
  • Renown: 122
  • Infamy: 77
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Cheating or No?
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2012, 04:18:18 am »
As it was stated several times before: You have to be active in strat to submit this stuff... leaving the tab open won´t help in any way :P

You have to be active in strat for it to work? You mean active in strat or cRPG? cause being active in strat means that you have to be moving at all times, which is not something that people who are active in a clan or TS are doing at all times. Basically, whoever actually has knowledge of the program needs to explain what constitutes being "Active In Strat" according the the program and the automatic transmission of info.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2012, 04:29:44 am »
You have to be active in strat for it to work? You mean active in strat or cRPG? cause being active in strat means that you have to be moving at all times, which is not something that people who are active in a clan or TS are doing at all times. Basically, whoever actually has knowledge of the program needs to explain what constitutes being "Active In Strat" according the the program and the automatic transmission of info.

You have to have the Strategus browser open and start clicking shit in it.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Farrix

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2012, 04:35:59 am »
well that seems tedious. Much simpler method would be to have a "Report Info" button within the program. Maybe even a time-delay for the information to get to clan leaders depending on the player's distance from those leaders.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2012, 04:38:04 am »
well that seems tedious. Much simpler method would be to have a "Report Info" button within the program. Maybe even a time-delay for the information to get to clan leaders depending on the player's distance from those leaders.

So now you are complaining that this program is not actually cheating and is too tedious?! Also, a time delay would be utterly pointless as this is not real time anyways as it only updates when the player is updating. This program basically eliminates the need to upload pictures to a clan forum, and simply uploads them directly to the nutjob clanners directly (saving a dozen or two seconds to upload to a forum as well as auto-consolidating and thus eliminating the need to sticky a super-secret forum post with all the images), it is not meant to be super streamlined or all-powerful controlling or involve unfair real-time 24/7 shenanigans.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 04:43:06 am by Tears of Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Farrix

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2012, 04:49:21 am »

So now you are complaining that this program is not actually cheating and is too tedious?! Also, a time delay would be utterly pointless as this is not real time anyways as it only updates when the player is updating.

Uhhh, no I never said it is cheating, all I am saying is if you require a player to be clicking shit in strat for the Auto-transmission to occur, why not have a button within the program to make that transmission happen? This would improve clan communications and make a player feel more engaged, as if they are actually accomplishing a clan mission.

The time delay would not be pointless. Its point is to make strat and the program more realistic. A scout marching ahead of an army would have to ride all the way back to their leaders to make a report, or send a bird with a scroll.

I'm trying to make suggestions on how this could be implemented and improved, not complaining about it at all.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 04:55:57 am by Farrix »

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2012, 06:09:58 am »
+1
statement

This is a legitimate concern about the program. Easy solution though: Instead of the program automatically forwarding the information from an open browser to the leaders every ten minutes, require that the player must press a button within the program to transmit the information. Doing things automatically starts becoming questionable.
The 10 min timespan was in the beginnig done as i was told it would prevent DDoS attacks. It has been reduced recently to 3min transfer lately, after the database libaries had been changed as we experienced a lot of lags.

ATM you need to be logged in that these trasnfers happen, but we already also discussed a button which would then resolve of the datatransfer. This is in the end a dession which needs to be done by chadz when/if he choses to implement our sources. My goal atm is less micro management while not neglecting game balance. As also in statement above said. This is pre alpha version and there will change still a lot of things. Feel free to PM me with suggestions and bug reports AFTER you have tested the tool and i will coordinate the improvements. Clan leaders who are intrested in using this tool please PM me and we can set up a teamspeak meeting where i can introduce you to the basic functions so far implemented and would also give you several keys for registration.

The automatic update for firefox doesn't work quite yet, so those players who use firefox need to update with every new version -_- over half of my players have outdated versions and therefor they are atm not sharing their LoS ^^
Over the next days i will create a forum thread, where i would maintain the current status, version and mechanics of the Strat-Viewer.
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2012, 08:41:39 am »
+1
So if it's not an advantage, why was this third party software not made public before? Or is it an advantage? Even the slightest? Sure seems like it is.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 08:47:46 am by Vibe »

Offline Farrix

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2012, 08:50:28 am »
+1
it is an advantage. Isn't that the whole point of this game? do get an advantage over other players? the question here is not whether or not this is an advantage, it is whether or not it is honorable within the context of the game.

Offline kinngrimm

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2012, 08:57:18 am »
+1
Vibe, Farrix i don't care for both questions, i want improvements seen implemented and overall changes in the game experience. The amount of micromanagement is mindbuggling, the amount of bordom some players take out of strategus is without equal, still we all see the big potentials of the game. In german we say "Es gibt nix gutes ausser du tust es", roughly translated, if you don't do something good nothing good happens. If this now is the way in the end we will have to see.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2012, 09:01:11 am »
+1
So what you're saying is, you dirty penis licker, is that you knew it was a third party software that gives you advantage, but you kept it to yourself and to your allies? And you're making it public now, because Thovex exposed it anyway?

But you don't care because ohhh noooo strat is fuckloads of micromanagement and then it's ok for you to use this.

How can one NOT view this as cheating?

Offline Farrix

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2012, 09:11:34 am »
human nature buddy...when the USA developed the atom bomb, they didn't call up the japs to share the info now did they? The knowledge spread to the benefit (or curse?) of the rest of the world, but not until they used it to win their war. Did they cheat? was it dishonorable to keep that information? I think it may have been napolean...but someone said something along the lines of," A fair fight, is a poor fight." Now that doesn't mean cheating is ok, it means that no smart clan leader should fight a fair fight in strategus within the confines of the game mechanics. Thats the real question: is this acceptable within the provided mechanics of the game?

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2012, 09:14:19 am »
+2
Now that doesn't mean cheating is ok, it means that no smart clan leader should fight a fair fight in strategus within the confines of the game mechanics. Thats the real question: is this acceptable within the provided mechanics of the game?

Third party software is not mechanics provided by the game itself, thus cheating.

Offline kinngrimm

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2012, 09:15:13 am »
So what you're saying is, you dirty penis licker, is that you knew it was a third party software that gives you advantage, but you kept it to yourself and to your allies? And you're making it public now, because Thovex exposed it anyway?

But you don't care because ohhh noooo strat is fuckloads of micromanagement and then it's ok for you to use this.

How can one NOT view this as cheating?
you ahve always been one of my favourits Vibe, structuring the truth or what you think of it to your liking.

As mentionend before, this has been made known to devs a long time ago.
It has been shared ^^ first only within Wolves then within alliance then within eastern block , then with friendly factions which i didn't see as cheaters, now with everyone.
If you want to imply evil intent in a small minded paranoid way, well that is your brain anorisma not mine.

About the sharing part, this is majorly developed by one single person, who does this in his spare time between work, studies and playing crpg. All people included were informed that it should made public in the end, but i wanted first to have the Diplomatic System ready, which is not yet quite the case, Guika is working his ass of for that since about a month now and when that is done perhaps then you can grant goodwill for the work of others which you and the community can you know just use for free.

On the other hand i could have kept it just for the Wolves and noone perhaps would have ever found out. Have you any clue about how greasmonkey works? I am a programmer and i know what is possible, that but doesn't make me do everything what is possible. You could do so much more with it. Perhaps there is only one wolves controlling everyone using this tool now  :twisted: but i am pretty sure i wouldn't make it very long here in cRPG anymore.

And btw way i hate you just for making me to answer to your crap Vibe.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2012, 09:20:05 am »
+2
All people included were informed that it should made public in the end

lmao, so win strat first then share, yep not cheating, I am sorry I was wrong

Offline kinngrimm

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2012, 09:29:51 am »
lmao, so win strat first then share, yep not cheating, I am sorry I was wrong
*sigh* how long is strategus now here with us? 2+ years. How long do you think strat 2.0 is already ready to go (more or less)? How long do you think others have already done similar things which they didn't share? How many changes had been done and changed again in all that time? Why are you so mad about something where the sources are open, the devs and admins knew about, only you weren't able to test it for a while?

Within the first 1 to 1 1/2 months of the development you couldn't see jack shit with the addon. Still the automatic updates for firefox doesn't work, so most people have outdated versions which are not compatible with the current database. If you would care to test this first before you just give us your ramdom thoughts i could concider taking you serrious, but you aren't even in the system yet so get a key from your faction leader and test it.