Poll

Keep this program or not?

Make it open source or announce it if you use it
Unfair Remove it
Keep it as is
http://forum.meleegaming.com/strategus-general-discussion/cheating-or-no/msg670358/#msg670358

Author Topic: Cheating or No?  (Read 11365 times)

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
Re: Cheating or No?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 11:19:25 pm »
+3
people get too worked up over strat :P. Multi accounting, duping and/or using third party programs to make it easier are all pretty shitty things to do.

Play the game how it was designed and if you think something can be improved please do suggest it. This third party program might be a good idea who knows (i personally think not) but the way to go about it is to ask chadz to allow beta testing not share it with your alliance and no one else.
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline DaveUKR

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 242
  • cRPG Player
  • Small rain lays great dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 11:20:33 pm »
Well Dave, Harald's opinion is wrong.  It's a lot more than "The same as if someone took a screenshot and sent it to you", because that bit requires a tiny bit of communication.  The whole point of strategus is that multiple people do things combined to create something for the larger good (of the faction, bandit force, or two buddies, etc). 

If one person was able to gather that much information without ever speaking to anyone, it would be a huge advantage.

You would then effectively only need 1 person active in strategus at any given time (like overnight) if an enemy starts marching you can just give your faction member a call and tell them to "move their guy" or attack, or whatever.

I think this is a pretty large issue (not as bad as multi-accounting) and would be awesome if people stopped using to gain an unfair advantage.

You either didn't read or didn't get what 2 people wrote above your post. You can't get real-time info and once you close your Strategus tab in the browser - your info stops being uploaded to the server so others see only what you could see by the moment when you closed your Strategus page. So when your faction sleeps - their eyes are closed for everyone even with this tool.

This third party program might be a good idea who knows (i personally think not) but the way to go about it is to ask chadz to allow beta testing not share it with your alliance and no one else.

Like they did. They asked Harald, he looked in it and he let them using it.

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 11:41:13 pm »
+1
You either didn't read or didn't get what 2 people wrote above your post. You can't get real-time info and once you close your Strategus tab in the browser - your info stops being uploaded to the server so others see only what you could see by the moment when you closed your Strategus page. So when your faction sleeps - their eyes are closed for everyone even with this tool.

SO....just leave it open? It's not that hard.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Rogue

• Earl
  • Renown: 332
  • Infamy: 31
  • Margrave of Brandenburg
    • View Profile
    • HRE Forum
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Rogue_HRE Harald_HRE Lodwig_HRE Egidius_HRE
  • IRC nick: Rogue_HRE
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 12:41:15 am »
+2
they need to be online and active on Strat, clicking things

Sacrum Romanum Imperium

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 12:44:20 am »
+2

they need to be online and active on Strat, clicking things
So basically this system does require both people to be online at the same time [For real-time updates], just removes the need for a clunk "Take a screenshot and upload it to a image share and then paste me the link and I'll see it whenever" and instead requires "Click this button and I'll see it whenever."

Oh... So... Gamebreaking... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: 

Where are my torches and pitchforks, this is practically multi-accounting! How could an Overlord possibly okay this terrible cheater mechanism!?
(click to show/hide)

Most people who are yelling about this program don't have a clue how it works and are merely pursuing an agenda where they want to tar-and-feather first and ask questions later.

#StrategusIsSeriousBusiness

I also like how a lot of people are assuming so much behind the motives of the people who "okayed" this and think they are supporting cheating despite said accusers not understanding how this program works.

Fine example of Mob Mentality
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 12:52:24 am by Tears of Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
  • Renown: 718
  • Infamy: 217
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Tomas
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 12:55:34 am »
+5
You would then effectively only need 1 person active in strategus at any given time (like overnight) if an enemy starts marching you can just give your faction member a call and tell them to "move their guy" or attack, or whatever.

If I tried ringing Fallens in the middle of the night to react to Strat I would soon have no Fallens left.  On the other hand if i knew of a clan that was that sad I would constantly march naked armies up to their lands to piss them off :D

And now I wish to tell my side of this since Thovex has brought my involvement to light

I was sent the program and asked to look at it before anybody except Kinngrimm and its creator had it.  Kinngrimm wanted me to show chadz, check if it was allowed and also check if chadz would want to incorporate something like it into strat.  I passed it to Harald and chadz, who had a look and whilst chadz is still undecided on whether he likes the principle behind it, he did not disallow its use.  I believe Harald likes it and so at the time and until chadz makes a decision, use of this tool was allowed. I showed it to Rogue, forgot about it for a while and then a week or 2 later we gave it a proper test before discarding it for the time being due to its limited usefulness.  Less than 3 weeks later Nords were given access to it.

I am extremely sorry that for nearly 3 weeks I was able to see a few extra blobs on the map from the line of sight of between 1 and 7 other people.  Not only was I able to see how many troops these blobs had, but i was also able to randomly guess at their equipment level and number of crates.  I wish my level of debauchery had stopped there though.  Perhaps if I had my soul might have been saved, but instead I gleefully chose to stare and plan my actions based on the 4 hour old images of enemy armies on my map.  Using this info I happily celebrated the absence of the player who had spotted them, indulging my love of incomplete information and glorying in my ability to plan the downfall of each blob once my clan member showed up again at some unknown point in the next 1 to 48 hours.  My enemies never knew what hit them and to my eternal shame I was unstoppable.

My biggest regret is that my crimes went so far beyond those of simple multi-accounting.  You are wrong when you say that the use of this tool is just as bad.  It is in fact much worse.  Had I just been a naive multi-accounter then I would have checked my 10 or so accounts, spotted that one enemy was unarmed whilst another was a full army with 1000 crates.  There would have been no joy as I selected my closest account and moved in to lock my enemy straight away and no build up of anticipation as i selected a bigger army to go and reinforce.  Instead of hours of edge of the seat, thrill seeking pleasure and delightful anxiety it would have all been over in mere minutes, robbing me of hours of entertainment.  Oh how I wish now that I had resisted temptation and stayed on the righteous path shown to us by the now martyred Union (may they achieve the saint-hood they so clearly deserve).

But now thanks to the wondrous intervention of my new saviour I am saved.  The all-wise and benevolent Thovex has shown me the light and never again shall I sit waiting for 5 hours for the right clan member to show up, certain in my unfounded belief that my enemy has at least 100000000000 crates to steal.  I know that all joy from such acts is only fleeting and that the only true path is that of cold, ruthless, multi-accounting efficiency. 

Thank you Thovex for showing me the error of my ways.

Offline BADPLAYER_old2

• Earl
  • Renown: 360
  • Infamy: 235
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Not a Bad player
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 12:56:51 am »
+7

chadz listens to this person about Strategus.

Makes you think~

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 12:59:46 am »
+5
chadz listens to this person about Strategus.

Makes you think~

Watch out Thomas, you just had your character being questioned by someone who has been repeatedly permabanned and has sold looms for RL cash, created the Hellowrold database incident and many other wonderful things.

Shit just got real.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
  • Renown: 718
  • Infamy: 217
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Tomas
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 01:10:46 am »
+4

Watch out Thomas, you just had your character being questioned by someone who has been repeatedly permabanned and has sold looms for RL cash, created the Hellowrold database incident and many other wonderful things.

Shit just got real.

Don't forget "awesome speed reader".  To read 645 words and reply in just over a minute is truly a sign of a higher power amongst us.  I must now confess to sinking to new depths in the realm of cheating.  I used that despicable and unforgivable cheat program called "wo*d c**nt".  See it is so bad that it can't even be uttered in polite company.

I must go now and cry myself to sleep yet again as I attempt to live with myself as a human being

Offline BADPLAYER_old2

• Earl
  • Renown: 360
  • Infamy: 235
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Not a Bad player
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 01:23:29 am »
+1

Shit just got real.

I'm talking less about morality and character and more his opinions on game mechanics, obvious clan bias and ect which are frankly terrible.

Offline Thovex

• Marshall
  • Renown: 851
  • Infamy: 210
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Thovex
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2012, 01:45:23 am »
+1
If I tried ringing Fallens in the middle of the night to react to Strat I would soon have no Fallens left.  On the other hand if i knew of a clan that was that sad I would constantly march naked armies up to their lands to piss them off :D

And now I wish to tell my side of this since Thovex has brought my involvement to light

I was sent the program and asked to look at it before anybody except Kinngrimm and its creator had it.  Kinngrimm wanted me to show chadz, check if it was allowed and also check if chadz would want to incorporate something like it into strat.  I passed it to Harald and chadz, who had a look and whilst chadz is still undecided on whether he likes the principle behind it, he did not disallow its use.  I believe Harald likes it and so at the time and until chadz makes a decision, use of this tool was allowed. I showed it to Rogue, forgot about it for a while and then a week or 2 later we gave it a proper test before discarding it for the time being due to its limited usefulness.  Less than 3 weeks later Nords were given access to it.

I am extremely sorry that for nearly 3 weeks I was able to see a few extra blobs on the map from the line of sight of between 1 and 7 other people.  Not only was I able to see how many troops these blobs had, but i was also able to randomly guess at their equipment level and number of crates.  I wish my level of debauchery had stopped there though.  Perhaps if I had my soul might have been saved, but instead I gleefully chose to stare and plan my actions based on the 4 hour old images of enemy armies on my map.  Using this info I happily celebrated the absence of the player who had spotted them, indulging my love of incomplete information and glorying in my ability to plan the downfall of each blob once my clan member showed up again at some unknown point in the next 1 to 48 hours.  My enemies never knew what hit them and to my eternal shame I was unstoppable.

My biggest regret is that my crimes went so far beyond those of simple multi-accounting.  You are wrong when you say that the use of this tool is just as bad.  It is in fact much worse.  Had I just been a naive multi-accounter then I would have checked my 10 or so accounts, spotted that one enemy was unarmed whilst another was a full army with 1000 crates.  There would have been no joy as I selected my closest account and moved in to lock my enemy straight away and no build up of anticipation as i selected a bigger army to go and reinforce.  Instead of hours of edge of the seat, thrill seeking pleasure and delightful anxiety it would have all been over in mere minutes, robbing me of hours of entertainment.  Oh how I wish now that I had resisted temptation and stayed on the righteous path shown to us by the now martyred Union (may they achieve the saint-hood they so clearly deserve).

But now thanks to the wondrous intervention of my new saviour I am saved.  The all-wise and benevolent Thovex has shown me the light and never again shall I sit waiting for 5 hours for the right clan member to show up, certain in my unfounded belief that my enemy has at least 100000000000 crates to steal.  I know that all joy from such acts is only fleeting and that the only true path is that of cold, ruthless, multi-accounting efficiency. 

Thank you Thovex for showing me the error of my ways.

Please spread your wonderful tool with the world of Calradia, people are suffering from restless hours and waking people up!

I should win an award for making people write entire essays within few hours over the internet.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 01:53:16 am by Thovex »

Offline Farrix

• Baron
  • Renown: 122
  • Infamy: 77
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 02:30:13 am »
+1
SO....just leave it open? It's not that hard.

This is a legitimate concern about the program. Easy solution though: Instead of the program automatically forwarding the information from an open browser to the leaders every ten minutes, require that the player must press a button within the program to transmit the information. Doing things automatically starts becoming questionable.

Offline MarktpLatz

• Baron
  • Renown: 100
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: MarktpLatz_HRE MarktPole_HRE MarktArcher_HRE MarktShielder_HRE
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 02:35:37 am »
As it was stated several times before: You have to be active in strat to submit this stuff... leaving the tab open won´t help in any way :P

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2012, 03:20:13 am »
Wow, here I am taking screenshots like a chump.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2012, 03:31:14 am »
It is cheating if its not global.

Implement this to STRATEGUS!  :)