Author Topic: Is archery bugged atm?  (Read 19306 times)

Offline BattalGazi

• Earl
  • Renown: 346
  • Infamy: 115
  • cRPG Player
  • Count the feathers on my Deli Cap!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans (GK)
  • Game nicks: GK_BattalGazi
  • IRC nick: BattalGazi
Re: Is archery bugged atm?
« Reply #165 on: November 01, 2012, 04:22:37 pm »
+5
"Yea, let's take away the natural advantages of a class and make it only disadvantageous, because fuck that class", this is the approach of nearly all whiners in this community and their fellow developer friends I guess. What the hell does, "you can shoot good when your horse is not moving" suppose to mean? This is a Horse Archer ffs, it is supposed to shoot while moving !

You know what, strategus is already going down because of the lack of dev's attention to real problems such as multi-accounting, and now they are screwing up all fixed solid mechanics in crpg, ... donkey crew is doing a real good job, really ...

I hope you have fun with new players who just have heard about this mod, because old ones are quitting one by one ...

Offline Apsod

• Duke
  • Renown: 698
  • Infamy: 98
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Donate a few denari to the farmers of Calradia!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Apsod
« Reply #166 on: November 01, 2012, 04:44:15 pm »
+1
Good luck, but... ehm, have you ever seen free respec in cRPG? I'm not an archer but partial free respec - possibility to remove skill points from ATH and put them somewhere else - would be fair move  :rolleyes:
There was a free respec once. They gave everyone a free respec in the huge patch that added upkeep. Though they will probably never give out another one :P

Offline Cris

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Merc_Cris, Cris, TestSubject
  • IRC nick: Cris
« Reply #167 on: November 01, 2012, 05:04:50 pm »
+1
There was a free respec once. They gave everyone a free respec in the huge patch that added upkeep. Though they will probably never give out another one :P

Upkeep wasn't the reason. In that patch the massively reduced levels. People like me in the low 40s ended up being high 20s after the patch. More than a respect it was a reset.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Boss_Awesome

• Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
  • I am the Kwisatz Haderach
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade (Not the Coalition)
  • Game nicks: Boss_Awesome
« Reply #168 on: November 01, 2012, 05:28:16 pm »
+1
Tried out some alternate builds and I am liking this new patch as an archer, now.  Can't kite anymore but can actually do some damage which is nice.  Having to shoot someone 3 to 4 times to kill them was kind of BS since draw speeds are so slow in this mod.  With the new builds now it kind of actually feels a bit like native, where archers are a very serious threat but can't really kite.   I just hope they leave archery alone for a while since it sucks having to relearn the class and come up with a different build everytime it gets messed with which is a lot. 

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #169 on: November 01, 2012, 05:30:59 pm »
Give respec for athletic only so I can put those points in riding.

You'd want some horse archery as well however. 

Really sad seeing all the whining on the forums for a month and knowing the next thing the dev's are gonna nerf.  Not because the whiners have a valid reason for their whine, it's just to appease the masses and put some grease on that squeaky wheel.

Give players the ability to work together as teammates (maybe a different game mode is needed), and all the previous whine about archers goes away.  Maybe some popups when you join a server that say "press P to join a battalion, press and hold F1 to move the flag for the battalion".  Maybe include "teamwork is encouraged to overcome obstacles in this game, not every class you encounter will be easily defeated.  They have strengths and weaknesses with their class, just as you do with yours, keep this in mind when fighting with your teammates".

Or here's a genius solution, fix your team balance to do a better job balancing classes evenly to each team.

Sure it's annoying to die to someone before you even have a chance to fight them, but that's part of the game.  Their strength just dominated your weakness. Every class and playstyle  has strengths and weaknesses.  If you minimize exposing your weaknesses to an enemies' strengths, you should be alright. 

There was nothing wrong with archery pre-patch that required making athletics lower their WPF in archery.  And if you really felt it was justified in making that change, you should allow people a free respec because you fucked over people who use archery and athletics, who now can't properly use their bow. 

Good job, that was very well thought out.  And I still contend that pre-patch, nothing was so ridiculous or overpowered that it required a nerf to tame it.  Nothing.  Bring your arguments to me and I'll shut them down every time with what to do tactically in that situation.  Generally the right answer boils down to "fight with teammates who compliment your weaknesses".  If someone is whining about archers, then they should have done a better job protecting their own ranged classes who can reach out and touch the enemy archers. 

The classes were very well balanced pre-patch.  I'm sure there were many people in the middle ages who felt it was "overpowered" to be able to hit someone from a distance before they can hit you.  You know what smart armies did?  They brought their own archers, or they brought shields, or they stopped standing around on the open field without any terrain to protect them.  They overcame the solution without whining about how "OP" something was, which is exactly what players need to do in game, but the dev's keep babying them instead of some harsh reality checks.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 05:34:07 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Mwahahaha

• Knight
  • Renown: 63
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Zero_Tolerance
« Reply #170 on: November 01, 2012, 05:39:03 pm »
Give respec for athletic only so I can put those points in riding.

no, we need  to retrieve an archery like 1 week ago. That was so good balanced. at least I agree about damage nerf, but about athl it's ridiculous.

Offline a_bear_irl

• Duke
  • Renown: 540
  • Infamy: 252
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 01, 2012, 06:03:40 pm »
qq
looks like someone respecced to a kiting archer just before the patch hit

also this patch was a giant buff to archery, stop whining
FREE ALLERS

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #172 on: November 01, 2012, 06:24:35 pm »
+3

Nope, I'm a 12th gen cav/polearm/1h/shield at level 32 currently.  I hate archers as much as the next guy both on my horse and on foot.  The difference is that I don't bitch and complain to the dev's to fix my own stupidity.  I try not to put myself in a situation where there's enemy archers on all sides, and I'm their only target.

Aww how cute, I'm a massive shit poster now.  How is it a shit post to suggest that instead of listening to the players whine, you tell them to learn how to adapt to conditions on the battlefield?  If you really think athletics lowering WPF for archery is the solution (which I wont' say is a good or bad thing) at least let them respec.  Or at least let the people over 31 respec for free...seems just as bad as the horse nerf from a while back (moved riding difficulty from 4 to 6 on courser).  It was a good move to do, but it really fucked over a lot of horseman over level 31 who never wanted to retire again.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 06:29:59 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline AluminumMonster

• Knight
  • Renown: 79
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: PRO_Flying_Dildos
« Reply #173 on: November 01, 2012, 07:07:07 pm »
How about the devs make range as challenging as melee.

yes, cuz archers top the charts and get valor all day. hop off the ambien and wake up bra
THE 99% WILL LOOK UP AND SAY "FEED ME"

AND I WILL SHOOT A DILDO DOWN YOUR THROAT.

Offline Boss_Awesome

• Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
  • I am the Kwisatz Haderach
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade (Not the Coalition)
  • Game nicks: Boss_Awesome
« Reply #174 on: November 01, 2012, 07:08:37 pm »
+2

The patch did indeed buff archery damage which is an okay trade off for loss of athletics.  I just worry that they will keep messing with things and nerf archery damage now, since archery gets a lot of attention.  Having to retire/respec is pretty annoying but has been a part of cRPG.  It will just suck really bad if after this patch they decide to change things again after people have already respecced/retired so that they have to respec/retire yet again...  Shit gets old ya know. 

Offline Apsod

• Duke
  • Renown: 698
  • Infamy: 98
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Donate a few denari to the farmers of Calradia!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Apsod
« Reply #175 on: November 01, 2012, 07:11:21 pm »
+1
Upkeep wasn't the reason. In that patch the massively reduced levels. People like me in the low 40s ended up being high 20s after the patch. More than a respect it was a reset.
I did not say that upkeep was the reason. I just said that we got a respec in that patch :wink:

Offline Iymore

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 104
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Balamir
« Reply #176 on: November 01, 2012, 07:12:05 pm »
nobody wants my horn bow now! fuck this

Offline justme

• Count
  • Renown: 188
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandits
  • Game nicks: Bandit_Elsupreme
« Reply #177 on: November 01, 2012, 07:12:52 pm »
yes , archery is bugged, they still cant miss me, and im dying from headshoot every 3rd round

Offline Iymore

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 104
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Balamir
« Reply #178 on: November 01, 2012, 07:14:13 pm »
+2
yes , archery is bugged, they still cant miss me, and im dying from headshoot every 3rd round
you guys want remove archery :lol: ofc you will be shooted by archers

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 01, 2012, 07:53:58 pm »
+1
You'd want some horse archery as well however. 

Really sad seeing all the whining on the forums for a month and knowing the next thing the dev's are gonna nerf.  Not because the whiners have a valid reason for their whine, it's just to appease the masses and put some grease on that squeaky wheel.

Give players the ability to work together as teammates (maybe a different game mode is needed), and all the previous whine about archers goes away.  Maybe some popups when you join a server that say "press P to join a battalion, press and hold F1 to move the flag for the battalion".  Maybe include "teamwork is encouraged to overcome obstacles in this game, not every class you encounter will be easily defeated.  They have strengths and weaknesses with their class, just as you do with yours, keep this in mind when fighting with your teammates".

Or here's a genius solution, fix your team balance to do a better job balancing classes evenly to each team.

Sure it's annoying to die to someone before you even have a chance to fight them, but that's part of the game.  Their strength just dominated your weakness. Every class and playstyle  has strengths and weaknesses.  If you minimize exposing your weaknesses to an enemies' strengths, you should be alright. 

There was nothing wrong with archery pre-patch that required making athletics lower their WPF in archery.  And if you really felt it was justified in making that change, you should allow people a free respec because you fucked over people who use archery and athletics, who now can't properly use their bow. 

Good job, that was very well thought out.  And I still contend that pre-patch, nothing was so ridiculous or overpowered that it required a nerf to tame it.  Nothing.  Bring your arguments to me and I'll shut them down every time with what to do tactically in that situation.  Generally the right answer boils down to "fight with teammates who compliment your weaknesses".  If someone is whining about archers, then they should have done a better job protecting their own ranged classes who can reach out and touch the enemy archers. 

The classes were very well balanced pre-patch.  I'm sure there were many people in the middle ages who felt it was "overpowered" to be able to hit someone from a distance before they can hit you.  You know what smart armies did?  They brought their own archers, or they brought shields, or they stopped standing around on the open field without any terrain to protect them.  They overcame the solution without whining about how "OP" something was, which is exactly what players need to do in game, but the dev's keep babying them instead of some harsh reality checks.

See crazycraka, now is the moment your logic fails. You always seem to be supporting not changing the game. But when the game changes, what are you going to support ?

If you support how it was before the change, then you are obviously supporting change, because going back to the old situation would be a change in itself.

If you support the new situation, then you have contradicting opinions with what you said a week ago, and your opinion means nothing whatsoever because it depends only on the current situation and does not try to reach an ideal balance.

If we get another patch in one month, what will you do ? Say this current patch you are bitching about now was the best patch ever ?

Mindfuck.

Our current balance is the result of years of balance tweaking. One particular patch is not more relevant than any other, especially considering the evolving metagame and the different needs of a different time.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 11:36:28 pm by Kafein »