Author Topic: Going dedicated versus hybrid as a crossbowman. (No longer in eyesore format!!)  (Read 3296 times)

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
But when they go melee, they aren't nearly as powerful as they could be if they were straight melee.
The only difference between arbalest user and pure melee with 15/24 build is wpf, which is more or less worthless for melee classes anyway. Mace is great weapon, even pure 2hers use it from time to time, especially on siege.  All in all arbalesters sacrifice only some wpf and possibilty to use most of 2h weapons. Not big deal I'd say.

Also, dunno about NA but currently on Eu1 at least 1/4 of the players use arbalests :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
crossbow should be 2 slots as well.  only light & hunting should be 1 slot

Offline Gristle

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BRD
  • Game nicks: Gristle_BRD
That is a blatant nerf, Digglez, and in no way makes the Arbalest better, nor does it help the Heavy Crossbow at all. Stop calling for nerfs and start calling for fixes. You are part of the problem.

Right now crossbows break down like this:
Hunting - poor people
Light - horse people
Crossbow - hybrids
Heavy - chumps?
Arbalest - dedicated and hybrid

Light and Crossbow are both perfect for their respective place right now. They are fine and do not need to be touched in any way. You should not nerf something that is working exactly as intended. You should leave it alone and buff the things that are not working as intended. That's the Arbalest and Heavy Crossbow. Leave my Crossbow alone.

The only difference between arbalest user and pure melee with 15/24 build is wpf, which is more or less worthless for melee classes anyway. Mace is great weapon, even pure 2hers use it from time to time, especially on siege.  All in all arbalesters sacrifice only some wpf and possibilty to use most of 2h weapons. Not big deal I'd say.

Also, dunno about NA but currently on Eu1 at least 1/4 of the players use arbalests :)

I'm 15/24, and I don't feel weak with either my 136 crossbow or my 129 1H.

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Recently I got MW arba and steel bolts and see enormous difference in damage inflicted with loomed stuff and normal ones. So I do agree that normal arba is rather undepowered but it's also probably cheapest item on the market (with a struck of luck and some patience it's quite possible to buy it for 900 k + tax), so even for newbies it shouldn't be a problem to buy +3 arba.

I'm 15/24, and I don't feel weak with either my 136 crossbow or my 129 1H.

In Eu it's probably a bit easier to make decent scores with arbalests as we have less str crutchers.

Offline dynamike

• King
  • Renown: 1212
  • Infamy: 187
  • Let's be friends again?
    • View Profile
    • The Remnants Clan Website
  • Faction: Stratia
  • Game nicks: Remnant_dynamike
crossbow should be 2 slots as well.  only light & hunting should be 1 slot

Don't diggle me like that.
For while the fire in the heart of a single Remnant still burns... can Stratia truly have fallen?

Offline Swaggart

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
After playing a little bit more, there's two things that are really bothersome.

Even with 150 wpf, my shots don't go straight off the arbalest consistently, plenty of times a bit to the left or right.

And the other thing is that delay. That being removed would make the arbalest a ton better.

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
2h/crossbow hybrid's fucking stupid. To much good shit for one player to have.
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline dynamike

• King
  • Renown: 1212
  • Infamy: 187
  • Let's be friends again?
    • View Profile
    • The Remnants Clan Website
  • Faction: Stratia
  • Game nicks: Remnant_dynamike
  • I agree that Arbalest needs more accuracy. Buff it so it's actually worth the 2 slots, and make the Heavy not worthless while you're at it.
  • Dedicated Crossbow will simply never be an optimal build unless you're a horse crossbowman. The long stationary reload is the biggest weakness in the game.
  • It is so EASY to hybrid as a Crossbowman that there's no reason NOT to do so. Really, what are you doing with all of those skill points?
  • I disagree that 1 handed weapons aren't good enough. Military Pick, Iberian Mace, and Military Cleaver are all good enough with 5 PS.
  • Leave my Crossbow alone.

• I
  • your
  • list
  • !
For while the fire in the heart of a single Remnant still burns... can Stratia truly have fallen?

Offline Darkkarma

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 106
  • cRPG Player
  • Slow your roll
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: DarkKarma
UPDATE:

After the latest patch, An arbalest with one stack of steel bolts is now at a weight of 9.3.

Perhaps we could make it so that an arbalest on the back reduces the damage of projectiles shot into the back like most shields since it now weighs more than every shield in the game?

Hell even the great maul is only 8.
This community hurts my brains, a lot.

Offline Dach

• Earl
  • Renown: 444
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dach_BRD / SNSD_Taeyeon
nah, give it a secondary mode...

melee mode with mallet stat!  :lol:
A lot of people in the NA community know that Dach rages and in the process of his uncontrollable rage, he tends to kick people.

You've been warned! :twisted:

Offline Gristle

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BRD
  • Game nicks: Gristle_BRD
Clearly kiting crossbowmen were a very big problem (to one very angry dev), and they have been balanced appropriately.

Seriously, this is the most pointless nerf I've ever seen. I personally haven't really noticed a difference. Maybe when it rains? I can't help but think that they gave power of the nerf gun to someone with horrible aim. He meant to target bow weight and simply missed! Hey, we all miss sometimes. It happens. How many months will we wait for him to correct his aim?

nah, give it a secondary mode...

melee mode with mallet stat!  :lol:

I had this idea today, too. Crossbow as melee weapon, but guaranteed to break. An "oh shit" emergency weapon.

Offline Tovi

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 251
    • View Profile
  • Faction: OdE
  • Game nicks: KrisTovi
Under rain, xbows were just non useable. Because slings were too slacky.

Offline Plavor

• Baron
  • Renown: 83
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
  • Yoshis are dragons, not dinos!!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Plavor
  • IRC nick: Plavor
They increased the weight of all crossbows.

The arbalest has now a bit less weight than a maul/mallet...

Arbalest is fine for me but it should get a slightly accuracy buff just to benefit from the choose of an arbalest :)

Offline Nightingale

• Balancer
  • Renown: 925
  • Infamy: 205
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Elderly Woman
  • IRC nick: Nightingale
It actually weighs .7 more than a mallet, and .3 less than a maul  :(

I am not 100% sure but I don't believe the missile speed was 58 before the patch and that affects the arch of the shot, Which didn't need a nerf in my opinion needed a slight buff and they decided to make it hard to keep up with the team, and less accurate. - accuracy is unchanged but the missile speed feels different. I am assuming I am not completely insane, which I might be wrong.

At the moment, the Heavy Crossbow almost the same damage as the Arb, Faster reloading, Cheaper, same range after figuring out how much more the arch in the shot is and it only requires 12 str meaning more wpf possibilities.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 12:52:29 pm by Scilla »

Mammonist

I'm going 15/27 arbalester w/o melee next gen.