Author Topic: Star Citizen  (Read 112667 times)

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
Re: Star Citizen
« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2012, 05:16:30 am »
+4
Its because chris roberts is a familiar name to many. People have faith that he can deliver his promices. Also the technical test preview was breath taking in terms of graphical fidelity.

Bear in mind as well that the crowd funding is simply one dource of finance in this project and there are large investors behind the project as well. All in all its a far more reliable, realistic and proffesional approach to indie development than most of the stuff you will find on kickstarter.
Turtles

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2342
  • Infamy: 469
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2012, 01:35:56 pm »
I didn't play wing commander. I dont have a huge hard on for generic sci fi spaceship lazer fights like y'all

and yet I am a big fan of sandbox mmos, if eve had a combat system where you aimed i'd be playing it.

so I am kind of hyped for this. unless its too instanced and doesn't feel like an actual mmo, sounds like it could be an issue to me.

PS
it shocks me how much support this project gets when every other sandbox mmo project is virtually completely ignored. don't really understand it, i always thought it was because the ignorant masses only liked themepark mmos.

Actually sandbox mmo's are doing quite well on kickstarter, better than most other games. But there's no point in giving few dudes 6 million dollars because they sure can't make it worthwhile. They are more than fine with 150-400k dollars to make the game of their dreams.

This is actually AAA game, but needed crowdfunding to succeed so they can get 20 million private funding (not publisher funding). It's supposed to end up with 25 million dollar budget which is on par with other AAA games like Assassins Creed and such. Difference is that Chris Roberts is making this game the way he (and community) wants it and no one will affect that.

Chris Roberts never made any console games, he was one of the greatest PC developers in early era, then company he was working (Origin) for got into troubles and was bought by EA. He left that company and started his own which was bought by Microsoft (Digital Anvil). First game they released was epic but isn't well known, it's actually one of the best space sim games called Starlancer. After that he started working on famous Freelancer which was supposed to be like this game but Microsoft fucked him up so game wasn't like he wanted it to be. During that time Microsoft shut down his and many other gaming studios who were working for them (FASA - Mechwarrior, Digital Anvil - Freelancer, Ensemble Studios - Age of Empires, Turbine - Asheron's Call, Aces Studios - Flight Simulator).

After that he left gaming and was producing movies for 10 years (most notable being Lord of War). Now he's back and wants to make this game. That is all.

About instances, I think it will work a lot like Guild Wars (not GW2, I'm talking about original GW) but he'll probably add a bit of Dark Souls multiplayer in it as well.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2012, 01:48:42 pm »
Even though you may not expereince the vcast numbers of peopel on screen as a traditional MMO you will definetly have the sence of being in a wide and expansive universie filled with a massive variety of people.
Turtles

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2012, 03:42:18 pm »
About instances, I think it will work a lot like Guild Wars (not GW2, I'm talking about original GW) but he'll probably add a bit of Dark Souls multiplayer in it as well.

From what I've pieced together, I think the closest thing to compare it to is All Points Bulletin but on a bigger scale. In the "open world" you can run into other people but not really directly interact with them in combat unless matched together and lobby/bar/spaceport areas are for all the trading, customizing, etc just like in APB. The original Guild Wars was like an inverted version of this where you could never meet or find other players in the "open world" unless already grouped with them from the common areas.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline Polobow

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoA
« Reply #94 on: November 20, 2012, 06:06:33 pm »
How is this different from Eve Online? Sorry, i haven't researched it too much.

Offline Tor!

• He's Tor!
  • Marshall
  • Renown: 739
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Tor
« Reply #95 on: November 20, 2012, 06:09:59 pm »
Cooties forced me to pledge before the timer went out or he would do bad things to me  :rolleyes:

Polobow; from what I've gathered the focus is more on the individual and small groups of friends (5-6) than these huge corporations Eve online has. Never played Eve myself, so correct me if I'm wrong  8-)
[00:53] <xant> i used to play on eu_1
[00:53] <xant> then i took an arrow to the knee

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2925
  • Infamy: 2315
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 20, 2012, 06:29:55 pm »
How is this different from Eve Online? Sorry, i haven't researched it too much.

It's action shooter, not Diablo in space like Eve Online.

Offline Polobow

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoA
« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2012, 06:35:52 pm »
Okay, that's pretty awesome! Though, promises can always be made...

I'll keep an eye out on it, who knows.
Thanks for the answer.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 421
  • Infamy: 1489
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2012, 06:37:27 pm »
Cooties forced me to pledge before the timer went out or he would do bad things to me  :rolleyes:

Polobow; from what I've gathered the focus is more on the individual and small groups of friends (5-6) than these huge corporations Eve online has. Never played Eve myself, so correct me if I'm wrong  8-)

There will probably be corporations at some point. Main difference is that space isn't open like in Eve, just like Strategus map isn't open in cRPG. Reasons for that are physics calculation and graphics fidelity. Eve lags like a boss every time many players are fighting at the same spot and Eve has WoW like combat system.

Roberts said it won't be possible for 60-100 people to be in the same instance. One way to interpret that is "up to 60-100 people can share a mission/battle". But that's just mine wishful thinking.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1379
  • Infamy: 2133
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 20, 2012, 06:38:55 pm »
Though, promises can always be made...

That's the whole point...

You don't want to know everything they promised for launch, because you'll hardly believe even half off that will be actually implemented.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 20, 2012, 06:40:40 pm »
Shit man 2 years and 20 mil or whatever in backing + crowd funding, i have faith in the development.  I just don't have faith in my ability to afford a rig that'll handle it. :P
Turtles

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2848
  • Infamy: 1937
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 20, 2012, 07:06:15 pm »
He said that current Intel i7 and GTX680 will be able to handle the game on max settings without breaking a sweat.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1439
  • Infamy: 2950
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 20, 2012, 09:09:06 pm »
General features:

1)  Full orchestral score (I personally suggest Bear McCreary (BSG, The Walking Dead) or Thomas Bergensen (Two Steps from Hell) as both candidates have the chops to compose epic scores!)
2)  100 systems to explore in persistent universe (single server like Eve Online, post-single player campaign World. See below for full blog post by CR on instancing mechanics and how PvP will work. Take note you WILL be able to create private servers and mod them to your heart's content)
3)  50 SP branching missions in Squadron 42 campaign
4)  Professional mocap
5)  Celebrity voice over (at least one original cast member will return. MARK HAMILL COME ON OVER!)
6)  Extensive peripheral support (MFD, multi-monitor, Oculus Rift, pedals, chairs, etc.)
7)  Tablet app for Android and iOS (check inventory, missions, newsfeed, etc.)
8)  Monthly updates on progress of game development (Town Hall meetings CR called them)
9)  Largest playable ship in the online persistent universe hosted by RSI: Bengal Carrier (5.5M stretchgoal)
10) Multiple types of bases (see below for more details)
11) A Lamp
12) Cockpit decorations (including bobbleheads with realistic physics, dinosaurs)
13) Mod tools
14) Private servers
15) AMX-1 Repair Droid "Thanks to a network of nine telescoping flex arms, the AMX-1 can access and repair any standard ship system with ease. Though it lacks the full speech boards and the emotional memory cores of more expensive models, the trademark whirring and beeping of an AMX is a welcome sound for anyone charting a path between the stars."
16) A Lamp
17) Multiple classes/types of ship: bomber, interceptor, general purpose fighter, destroyer, carrier, transport, pirate ship
18) Extensive trading system
19) CR would like to add crafting as well, but it will never approach EO complexity as this is not what he wants for SC. No details for now.
20) Purchase of in-game credits with real money. Planned conversion rate is 1$ = 1000cr
22) No monthly subscription to play on persistent server
23) Ship-to-ship capture and boarding with FPS elements, Melee & Heavy Weapons, Zero-gravity Simulation, Suit HUD Options, Increased Customization, Outside-the-ship combat (magnetic boots on a hull; think Moonraker)
24) First/Third Person movements on big ships (Bengal Carrier, RSI Constellation)
25) NPC interactions on stations and bigger ships
26) Planet landings (scripted)
27) Ability to fly through a planetary atmosphere to siphon hydrogen to use as fuel
28) Manual take-offs and landings on carriers
29) Fully modular ships. Damaging key components will affect flight capabilities. Although built slightly simpler than the smaller ships, capital ships will have sub-targets we will be able to destroy to incapacitate or disable it.
30) Multi-person ships. The RSI Constellation (250$+ tier or available via add-on) can be piloted by a single person, but has room for 3 more. The ship has a dockable P52 fighter friends can use, as well as two mannable turrets (think Millenium Falcon). It has not been confirmed whether crew ships can be manned by NPCs if friends are not available to drop-in your ship and control the fighter and turrets.
31) Tractor beams
32) Choose between male and female avatars, and they will be customizable, though not to the extent of Skyrim
33) A frakking lamp! In the frakking ship!

http://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/13gjvq/simple_list_of_all_were_getting_as_of_6m/

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #103 on: November 21, 2012, 07:49:30 am »
+2
20) Purchase of in-game credits with real money. Planned conversion rate is 1$ = 1000cr

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #104 on: November 21, 2012, 01:14:32 pm »
It'll just add to the realism.

We can't have peasants flying around in big manly ships, simply unheard of. They'll have to man the different functionalities instead :wink:
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!