Author Topic: Star Citizen  (Read 115243 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Star Citizen
« Reply #1110 on: December 17, 2015, 02:18:23 am »
So not going to justify the BS you're spewing? Not surprised, since it's clear it's all emotional.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 185
  • Infamy: 634
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: December 17, 2015, 02:23:42 am »
+1
lel

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: December 17, 2015, 02:41:16 am »
That's what I thought.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
« Reply #1113 on: December 17, 2015, 03:06:00 am »
Story...which isn't terrible thing because it sucks in most video games.
No. Unless you´ve never looked for games outside the tripe A field, but you´re wrong with this one.

Our teachers have already warned us that gamers are the most overreacting and merciless customers there is. Either a game is the best thing in the world or it´s the worst shit in the universe; there´s barely something in between.

I neither hype this game into the heavens, nor say that it´s going to be an apocalyptic rip-off because the game isn´t even out yet. Since I´m planning to work in this field, I´ve been reading through some development logs of some games and it´s upright frightening that there is barely a game out there which hasn´t been in at least some minor distress during the production (or had shady/crappy working conditions/politics, etc). Or do you think the oh-so-beloved Skyrim hadn´t had any drama? Was World of Warcraft the game everybody wanted and loved when it came out? Or did it first of all unleash a tsunami of boiling diarrhea onto everybodys head with broken mechanics, unresolved bans, etc? (btw people still shiver when they hear "WoW" and "vanilla" within one sentence). 

In the end, the only thing which is going to count is the game itself and if it´s seen as "good" by the customers or not. Hell, if a gaming company would run their pcs by burning orphans, but would deliver a really enjoyable game, nobody would ever care about what-there-weren´t-any-orphans-gosh-look-at-the-game. Even FEZ is still a beloved game although Phil Fish, simply spoken, shouted out "Fuck you" to everybody.

Let´s just wait and see. Don´t praise the game (Xant), don´t curse it(Leshma). It´s not as if blabbering on random internet forums would change anything.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 03:13:00 am by Ikarus »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 133
  • Infamy: 2632
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: December 17, 2015, 03:39:23 am »
You're right about the last part. Depends on the forums tho. Posting in certain places can get you banned on official Star Citizen forum. Not that's having a privilege posting in there is anything you should look for, just pointing all the possibilities.

I compared this with DayZ, with best possible intention. Someone brought up Mortal Online. Not sure we're doing a service to this game by comparing it with those two marvels of software engineering...

Procedural generation tech demo is kewl. Obviously done by Crytek guys, because rest of those muppets can't code for shit (think of cmp vs rest of chadz crew). Best thing about it, being done in that overhyped pile of garbage that is Cryengine (now I know why devs avoid it like plague). Obviously took ideas from that French university study on planetary generation that has been open sourced eons ago. Demo was cleverly built and played out to hide shortcomings of early tech. They'll need their own groundbreaking concepts to deal with problems of pre-made props rendering nicely at high altitudes. Elite cleverly avoided it by splitting planetary rendering into phases, with stops serving as hidden loading bars they need to transfer data from servers to client.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: December 17, 2015, 04:47:37 am »
I'd love to see Leshma's proof that "none of the other muppets can't code for shit." Yeah, somehow I think it's just more emotional crap that he "feels" like is the truth.

And Ikarus, why should I not praise a game that I like? It is playable right now, you know.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 587
  • Infamy: 124
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: December 17, 2015, 05:20:29 am »
Since when you're so obsessed with emotional states of other people, Mr Logical? As for Le Truth, I'm just making assumptions based on information gathered and processed. To know true situation, one needs to have a firm lead on this project which is something I'm not doing, obviously. Not sure Chris Roberts is that guy. Being so out the loop of current "playable" game status and showing unprofessional behavior on camera aren't pillars of proper project management. Hopefully we'll reap some rewards from that, making game more accessible while maintaining that magical realism they are striving for.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: December 17, 2015, 05:39:03 am »
Since when you're so obsessed with emotional states of other people, Mr Logical?
When they're the only basis of someone's arguments, say?

As for Le Truth, I'm just making assumptions based on information gathered and processed. To know true situation, one needs to have a firm lead on this project which is something I'm not doing, obviously. Not sure Chris Roberts is that guy. Being so out the loop of current "playable" game status and showing unprofessional behavior on camera aren't pillars of proper project management. Hopefully we'll reap some rewards from that, making game more accessible while maintaining that magical realism they are striving for.
OK, so you're just talking out of your ass but leaving out all the "I think", "I guess", "In my opinion", "maybe", "probably", etc. I.e., as if you were stating facts.... when you're not.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Ikarus

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: December 17, 2015, 08:09:56 am »
Aha. I still don´t understand why you personally have such a grudge against this game, Leshma. If there are obvious reasons, PM me.

You two could at least continue your tête-a-tête stuff in another thread or via PMs :? Looking back this thread it´s mostly you two jerking each other off, really really aggressively
I smell a lot of popcorn in this thread aswell
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 08:13:55 am by Ikarus »

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: December 17, 2015, 08:41:22 am »
+1
Well Xant is right in that Leshma isn't presenting any facts or proof to what he's claiming and so it sounds mostly like nonsense or plain assumptions. All this feels weird though because last I checked Leshma was pro-SC actually and nonsense and false assumptions are for Derek Smart & Co.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: December 17, 2015, 10:00:12 am »
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 11:32:16 am by Vibe »

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 250
  • Infamy: 1713
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: December 17, 2015, 02:07:02 pm »
Well Xant is right in that Leshma isn't presenting any facts or proof to what he's claiming and so it sounds mostly like nonsense or plain assumptions. All this feels weird though because last I checked Leshma was pro-SC actually and nonsense and false assumptions are for Derek Smart & Co.

I was pro-SC but it's kinda hard to keep it that way when dark destiny is looming above this project. My money is on the line, although not being much and possibly already went down the drain and never to be seen again.

Some things you should know about last night livestream. First, they were caught up in a lie red handed. CR was stating how he played Star Citizen PTU 2.0 for an hour, yet when they setup it for him he was like "what the fuck is this shit and why it isn't working". So much for that...

Planetary landing demo was designed in a very specific way. Focus was heavily on atmospheric scattering, presumably because it is beautiful but it's there because of two things.

First being fact that Horizons which released two days ago as full working expansion doesn't have it. Because every planet in Horizons is barren rock without atmosphere. They don't want to add it before everything is finished, including atmospheric flight mechanics.

Planet in demo is called Levski and moon so close to it (lel) is Delamar. Thing about Levski though, it has been shown awhile ago as part of Nyx landing demo and in that demo it didn't have any atmosphere. Like it shouldn't. But they slapped atmo on it to show off what competition doesn't have.

Second reason is to hide basic terrain, which is rather flat and uniform. Something many computer graphics graduates do in their free time as part of their master thesis. There is nothing groundbreaking about that terrain, you can find plenty of similar examples all over youtube and internet. Interesting part is where premade terrain and props blend with procedurally generated terrain. It's not done too shabby but you can see the difference clearly. If whole planet had those pointy, believable rocks instead of wavy hills then we could call it advanced. Then comes generation of other things, for terras with life. Something they most likely don't have at this stage.

Coolest part of that demo is that in orbit space station. Looks hella cool and better than current stations in alpha. Worst part is complete absence of gravity on planet which means that space can't orbit it and probably never will. Also something about mass is way off in their physics engine, ships are too damn light.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: December 17, 2015, 02:35:19 pm »
Planetary landing demo was designed in a very specific way. Focus was heavily on atmospheric scattering, presumably because it is beautiful but it's there because of two things.

First being fact that Horizons which released two days ago as full working expansion doesn't have it. Because every planet in Horizons is barren rock without atmosphere. They don't want to add it before everything is finished, including atmospheric flight mechanics.

Planet in demo is called Levski and moon so close to it (lel) is Delamar. Thing about Levski though, it has been shown awhile ago as part of Nyx landing demo and in that demo it didn't have any atmosphere. Like it shouldn't. But they slapped atmo on it to show off what competition doesn't have.

Pretty standard business practice to try to beat your competition, don't see anything wrong in it. I had a lol at the size of the moon as well, though.

Second reason is to hide basic terrain, which is rather flat and uniform. Something many computer graphics graduates do in their free time as part of their master thesis. There is nothing groundbreaking about that terrain, you can find plenty of similar examples all over youtube and internet. Interesting part is where premade terrain and props blend with procedurally generated terrain. It's not done too shabby but you can see the difference clearly. If whole planet had those pointy, believable rocks instead of wavy hills then we could call it advanced. Then comes generation of other things, for terras with life. Something they most likely don't have at this stage.

Well obviously this is still early, but they have something to show. The generation/planets will still require work but it think it was nice to show that you're already able to take a spaceship from a station and land it on a planet. Seamlessness and everything. People are excited about the video on the webpages I browse.

Offline Ikarus

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: December 17, 2015, 03:33:58 pm »
So you don´t like it because a lot of people say that it might be a gigantic fraud and some parts in their development seem to point into that direction? Could be, anything´s possible, but before I join the dramahungry masses I´ll just wait and see. Only spent 25 bucks on it and yet already got more entertainment than from other things for the same money.

If it´s gonna be a fraud, well, historical event in video games and Roberts will have to flee to Mexico and change his name to Raoul. If it succeeds: sweet, we got a nice space game.
The only thing I don´t like are people who are like "no, stahp it NOW!". Because stopping now would be like my WoW-diarrhea example mentioned before: shitty for everybody. Except maybe for Derek Smart, who will be found dead 4 days later because of dehydration due to nonstop masturbation  :lol:

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: December 17, 2015, 03:48:49 pm »
So you don´t like it because a lot of people say that it might be a gigantic fraud and some parts in their development seem to point into that direction? Could be, anything´s possible, but before I join the dramahungry masses I´ll just wait and see. Only spent 25 bucks on it and yet already got more entertainment than from other things for the same money.

If it´s gonna be a fraud, well, historical event in video games and Roberts will have to flee to Mexico and change his name to Raoul. If it succeeds: sweet, we got a nice space game.
The only thing I don´t like are people who are like "no, stahp it NOW!". Because stopping now would be like my WoW-diarrhea example mentioned before: shitty for everybody. Except maybe for Derek Smart, who will be found dead 4 days later because of dehydration due to nonstop masturbation  :lol:

I think claiming the whole Star Citizen thing is a fraud at this point is as ridiculous as the size of the moon in the planetary landing video.