Author Topic: Star Citizen  (Read 115873 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2588
  • Infamy: 2658
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: Star Citizen
« Reply #765 on: August 10, 2015, 12:10:35 am »
question is when

General rule seems to be, every time you ask that question add two years to current date.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2592
  • Infamy: 1011
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: August 10, 2015, 12:21:41 am »
Looks awesome, hope there's a lot of bigger ships as well, not just fighters (the one in the demo seems decently big, the one above it even better). Any other demos like this that I've missed?

The one flying above at the end (Idris) will be fourth largest playable ship at start, it is roughly three times longer than ship they flying in video (Retaliator).

Retaliator is 70 meter long bomber, Idris is 240 meter long frigate. Largest flyable ship in multiplayer will be Bengal, about 1000 meter long carrier.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: August 10, 2015, 06:16:58 am »
I didn't invest in Star Citizen since it looked way more like an hoax than anything else at first... :P

Just watched their multicrew demo and I must say this look impressive.  :o

Yep multicrew in multiplayer isn't new per say (Example: Battlefield vehicle)

But doing that in an open world ish game is kinda crazy and I love it.  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xSOzEWsHOs
Battlefield vehicles are on a very, very different scale than what SC is doing.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: August 10, 2015, 10:12:43 am »
The one flying above at the end (Idris) will be fourth largest playable ship at start, it is roughly three times longer than ship they flying in video (Retaliator).

Retaliator is 70 meter long bomber, Idris is 240 meter long frigate. Largest flyable ship in multiplayer will be Bengal, about 1000 meter long carrier.

I guess I can work with that. Did they confirm there won't be any bigger ships than these, or is this just what we know so far? Are they done with the ship 'roster'?

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #769 on: August 10, 2015, 12:34:47 pm »
+3
Every time Roberts wants a new house or supercar they'll announce a new ship.
Turtles

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 754
  • Infamy: 570
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: August 10, 2015, 01:14:15 pm »
There will be more ships I believe, not sure will there be more additions to capital ship class. There is at least ten more non playable ships, because they are of alien origin. Unless they decide to make it possible to capture them and infest their software with virus like they did with Scythe.

Biggest non playable ship is few kilometers long and will feature in Squadron 42 campaign somewhere down the line (Idris will be main ship in first campaign they are going to release next year). Second largest is Vanduul Kingship, alien carrier.

If you are fine with size of Retaliator, there is a ton of ships that have various roles between size of Retaliator and Idris.

Originally with all the variants, it was planned somewhere around 20 ships if I recall right. Right now that number is at least three times as big.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: August 10, 2015, 01:18:50 pm »
I guess I can work with that. Did they confirm there won't be any bigger ships than these, or is this just what we know so far? Are they done with the ship 'roster'?
Work with what? Any more bigger ships than what? You must be misunderstanding something because the ships go from 1 player only to needing a crew of hundreds.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: August 10, 2015, 01:51:15 pm »
Work with what? Any more bigger ships than what? You must be misunderstanding something because the ships go from 1 player only to needing a crew of hundreds.

Work with that as in 'ok that's decent enough'. Any more ships around the size of Bengal (or bigger than Idris I guess). Bengal needs a crew of hundreds to operate?

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1589
  • Infamy: 981
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: August 10, 2015, 02:11:18 pm »
Supposedly. Idris is at 10 man max crew, Javelin at min 23, not sure about Pegasus.

Offline Senni__Ti

• Earl
  • Renown: 472
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Senni_Ti
  • IRC nick: Senni
« Reply #774 on: August 12, 2015, 05:48:38 am »
All the demos (videos) from gamescom are here now:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14891-Gamescom-Wrap-Up

If you missed them.

Offline Nordwolf

• Earl
  • Renown: 492
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Nordwolf, 4 other Nordwolfs, Wolf_in_the_Van Victory, Earngrim, Core, Farewell, Akaio_BlackSpear +**
« Reply #775 on: August 14, 2015, 09:15:23 pm »
If anyone wanted to try Star Citizen without investing, you can now. (At least till ~24 of August)

http://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-arena-commander-free-to-play-this-weekend/

It works, I'm flying around in commander mode right now, just be prepared to download 24 gigs just to explore hangar and fly around in dogfights :)
TBH I really enjoyed spaceship handling and at first it felt really unusual because of some swapped controls (at least for me, something like rolling with A&D and strafing with Q&E, when I'm used to the opposite, you can't switch controls atm you can actually -_-), but then you realize you can do all kinds of things with it.

PS: if you have a weak PC, you're just gonna waste your time since it's not completely optimized yet. Although it's Cryengine and it's still better optimized than some other games (like ARK).
PPS: Hangar has almost half the fps I get in commander mode :DDD
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 09:35:16 pm by Nordwolf »

Offline Senni__Ti

• Earl
  • Renown: 472
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Senni_Ti
  • IRC nick: Senni
« Reply #776 on: August 14, 2015, 09:17:02 pm »
+1
Pretty sure you can change the controls, go into the advanced/keybindings tab (far right iirc).

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 430
  • Infamy: 1972
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: August 14, 2015, 09:38:55 pm »
Hangar has almost half the fps I get in commander mode :DDD

Hangar stopped being actively developed years ago. There were redesigned but that's all. They spent way more time on AC. You can expect social module and FPS module being better optimized.

With social module, hangar tech should be changed and I expect better fps in hangar too.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2558
  • Infamy: 2351
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: August 29, 2015, 04:03:40 am »
For the first time in history of Star Citizen, they released something before last given release date. Although original date was spring 2015, they changed it recently to before end of August 2015 and guess what? It happened right now. First, although very small and unremarkable piece of Persistent Universe puzzle is released, Social Module 1.0

Next to come is FPS module, but PU team will be mostly occupied by growing Social Module and adding components that will make it come alive. Arc Corp is the name of starting location, next to come is mining complex Nyx. Arc Corp has only third finished so far. Nyx showed on video should be complete. Biggest location will be Terra Prime landing zone which should three times as big as any other location. From what I've seen in sneak peaks before, it is almost like GTA3 size.

There may be more locations to follow in next six months. I expect at least five fully finished planets before end of 2016, with full functionality and maybe around twenty planets (locations) in total but unfinished (which means not everything is accessible and not missing props and textures). That will mark start of something called Star Citizen Persistent Universe Alpha or something very similar to open beta testing of every other MMORPG. Add few more years to that and game will have promised 125 or maybe even more planets and possibly even planetary exploration without limits. But economy and everything else should work in Persistent Universe Alpha. Think of it like smaller portion of finished game with all the needed mechanics to make the game work as intended. All the mechanics in but not all the content.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: August 29, 2015, 05:20:39 am »
The social module is looking really good, though, even if you can't do much in it. Everything in it is well made and stuff works smoothly.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.