Author Topic: Star Citizen  (Read 132450 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Star Citizen
« Reply #780 on: August 29, 2015, 05:28:08 am »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 536
  • Infamy: 316
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: August 29, 2015, 06:03:41 am »
I'm into this

Best looking armor in game imho

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: August 29, 2015, 06:05:47 am »
And you were so skeptical about SC not so long ago.

Oh, ye of little faith.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 979
  • Infamy: 1423
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: August 29, 2015, 01:04:01 pm »
I've stopped being skeptical when they announced Large Worlds engine update is finished. That was the major component to make game work as they pitched it and didn't look plausible before they hired former Crytek engineers and formed a studio in Germany. From that moment onward, it is just matter of adding mechanics and content. Major technical challenges are behind them.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: August 29, 2015, 04:00:48 pm »
You are a liability, my friend.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #785 on: August 29, 2015, 06:03:08 pm »
I must admit, SC is such a vast and complex task that I was skeptical from the get go, but I am edging more and more towards getting involved with this. Though my only issue is that I am not really into spending large amounts of money on controllers ( like expensive stuff for flight sims/ space sims ), I think I have an old Saitek Cyborg Evo somewhere which was pretty cheap when it was made, YEARS ago, it's probably worth fuck all now but I am not really inclined to get anything more decent, will this be a massive disadvantage? I actually sadly played a lot of these games with a keyboard and mouse too lol.

Offline Senni__Ti

• Earl
  • Renown: 472
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Senni_Ti
  • IRC nick: Senni
« Reply #786 on: August 29, 2015, 06:04:16 pm »
+1
It's currently best played with a mouse.

I do enjoy using a joystick though.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: August 30, 2015, 05:01:27 am »
+1
Yes, a mouse is actually the best input device, much to the chagrin of the joystick fanbois on the SC forums.

And I too had my skepticism because of how ambitious the project is, but especially after the Gamescom stuff, I'm now very confident they can pull it off.

The best part to me is that ALL of their work is so high quality. Everything looks great. And the FPS... the FPS which is just one part, looks to have the potential to be the best FPS "game" out there by itself. So many features that no other game has really managed to pull off.

All the environments, also, look fucking fantastic. Going to be so much fun just exploring space in SC.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Eugen

• Count
  • Renown: 180
  • Infamy: 26
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Postla
« Reply #788 on: August 30, 2015, 09:20:46 am »

Elite Dangerous with Wings and Powerplay now is a good story. Well populated, well made - maybe a little bit of a timesink, but enjoyable.

Play with Controller or full sapce rig and enjoy - space piloting, trading, bountyhunting, smugglers and some kind of strategical warfare in powerplay in solo or multiplayer enviroment - its all there.

random gamefootage:

[youtube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4fN9J_ZshHM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: August 30, 2015, 09:49:35 am »
+2
Get the fuck out of here you silly ass motherfucker. If we wanted to play Boring: Dangerous we'd be in the Boring: Dangerous thread.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: August 30, 2015, 02:21:40 pm »
First time I actually got to take a proper look around the social module.

So hyped for this. Everything is high fidelity like if it was a singleplayer game, except there isn't any SP game that looks this good. Having a skill-based open world PvP game with cool exploration like this is pretty much my dream game.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1711
  • Infamy: 1669
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: August 30, 2015, 02:24:20 pm »
Hahahaha, Xant doing God's work in here. SC fanbois would be proud of you. Now if we only could arrange duel between you and Derek Mr Smart, that would be glorious :mrgreen:

Thing about Elite: Dangerous, it will be immeasurably vast when done but much lower attention to detail will make it look bland compared to Star Citizen. People are already bored by space stations, no matter how glorious they once looked there is only couple types and they look virtually the same. Imagine same story with planetside stuff...

Another important detail, regarding both games. Even though Elite will be much larger content wise (despite the fact it actually has less unique props), Star Citizen will also be too big for its own good. Starting area that has been released need to be populated with mechanics and AI (currently it is nothing but pretty scenery). When it happens bar will work, you'll be able to interact with other players on meaningful level never seen before in MMO and also with AI which will be like in Elder Scrolls (going home, doing work, having personality etc.) After they add everything planned that somewhat small looking area will become big enough. Problem is that is only third of that particular planetary landing area and one of the smaller ones. In that Star System there are three more planets, and there will be at least 65 Star Systems (with names and history so far, promised 125). Not every Star System will have a city attached but it safe to stay there will be at very least 50 cities and some of them will be much bigger than ArcCorp Area 18 (currently present).

What I'm trying to say it that final Star Citizen will be too big for even player community such as World of Warcraft's. Even World of Warcraft can feel empty at times and that map is gonna be tiny compared to Star Citizen explorable areas. That is why they are developing decent AI to populate universe, 20 million actors to be precise. If Elite doesn't do the same after planetary landings project has been fully finished, it will feel even more like ghost town that it does feel right now.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: August 30, 2015, 02:29:18 pm »
Elite is just crap all around. Boring planets, boring missions, boring gameplay.

Looking at the SC concept art for planets and space stations etc, all of those look really good. Would take actually designed areas over some procedural shit any day - not to mention the fact that SC graphics will actually make those locations look stunning. Though SC will have procedural stuff too at some point.

As for feeling empty, it depends. There'll certainly be hubs where people congregate and where you can always find a ton of players.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: August 30, 2015, 05:05:21 pm »
Xant why u mindkeel?

Offline Eugen

• Count
  • Renown: 180
  • Infamy: 26
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Postla
« Reply #794 on: August 30, 2015, 06:21:54 pm »
oh, dont worry Leshma. I just know how to annoy Xant very well: jump into a discussion, post right after him, ignore what he said, write something loosely related and possibly contrary and watch Xant rant.

Trolling mission accompished .

Sorry. Coulndt resist. Was a long time.

I am off playing Boredom Deluxe and having some fun there  8-)

Cheers.
And enjoy Star Citizen as well. It will be a blast of a game when ready. Shure.

and, whats mindkeel???