Author Topic: Darkfall Unholy Wars  (Read 24535 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Darkfall Unholy Wars
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2012, 03:17:45 pm »
How is there no excitement for this?

This is something I'm wondering as well, the game should appeal to this community if you ask me.

Offline Pollux

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2012, 10:31:56 pm »
I played DF when it first came out and had a good time.

They should have put an effort into making it F2P, that sub fee is a huge turn off.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2012, 03:03:52 am »
+2
I played DF when it first came out and had a good time.

They should have put an effort into making it F2P, that sub fee is a huge turn off.

Actually it's a good thing in my eyes. F2P always means a horrible community and a cash shop, and it's rarely just cosmetic stuff in there.

Offline Pollux

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2012, 10:01:01 am »
Actually it's a good thing in my eyes. F2P always means a horrible community and a cash shop, and it's rarely just cosmetic stuff in there.

I've already paid for the game, but I understand how desperate their company is for immediate income

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2012, 02:20:25 pm »
I wouldn't mind if they added "meditation points" for offline skill gains to a cash shop.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2012, 04:27:34 pm »
This is something I'm wondering as well, the game should appeal to this community if you ask me.

Yes the community should transfer over quite nicely. The drama that game generates is immense..when people can lose their stuff that they might have spent hours saving for (or in the case of whole cities, weeks or months) you get some intense PVP and crazy drama. Backstabbing, power blocks forming, empires getting toppled, ego's going into overdrive and clashing.

Full loot + player skill pvp + player owned cities & resources makes for some unique gameplay. The main thing I am worried about is if the new class system actually results in fun and player skill based pvp, and if the grind is truly reduced to manageable levels. I expect it to be extremely unbalanced between the classes too with no beta (they probably can't internally test it and play it how the actually players will, and AV have a bad track record for this stuff). Would be nice if the racial alliance system and being blue/red (murderer) had some impact on the game too.

I will be extremely surprised if its in a playable state on the date they gave for release. Everything AV says with dates you should times by 2-4 usually

End of

If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2012, 07:16:14 pm »
+1
must admit strategus seems like a pointless casual mini game after playing darkfall.

I don't understand how there can be drama for strategus, its so meaningless. you take a holding in strategus, what do you get? some pointless text title and ownership of a 2d icon on a webpage.

In darkfall they were actual tangeble parts of the world you walked in. They were where you lived, literally. They were your base where you respawned and banked. It wasn't just a flag it was your home.

They actually mattered alot, maybe not enough as they should have. But taking peoples homes from them, or defending your own really created some gameplay non existant in any other game.

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2012, 12:20:11 am »
Honestly the only thing from stopping me from being excited for this game is not being able to put hours and hours of grinding skills into it.

Unless they changed the skill rate leveling to be MUCH faster than I would greatly consider it as I loved the PvP in the game, it was the only game that actually got my adrenaline going.

Offline mofugga

• Knight
  • Renown: 60
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Longrod_Von_Hugendong, Sexual_Chocolate, FussyBritches, Hebrew_Hammer
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2012, 01:06:51 am »
Honestly the only thing from stopping me from being excited for this game is not being able to put hours and hours of grinding skills into it.

Unless they changed the skill rate leveling to be MUCH faster than I would greatly consider it as I loved the PvP in the game, it was the only game that actually got my adrenaline going.

The grind will be WAY less than before.

- The general rate of skill-gain should be much higher than the original release.

- The amount of skills/spells per school sounds like it will be much fewer than in the previous game.

- You can only use one "role" at a time. So you only need to level the skills/spells for that particular role.

I've always been surprised that more players from the crpg community don't show interest in Darkfall... and vice versa. These are the only 2 games I've played regularly over the last few years.

Anyway, Darkfall Unholy Wars comes out November 20th (supposedly  :wink:). Since this is Aventurine, I'm cautious in my optimism, but really looking forward to release either way.

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2012, 01:39:05 am »
I actually came to C-RPG from Darkfall. I ran into Darkwulf and Sylauris here which was funny because I use to be in their clan back in old Darkfall days.

I tried to go check how much the game would be but I can't seem to purchase it....did they disable it for now?

Offline mofugga

• Knight
  • Renown: 60
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Longrod_Von_Hugendong, Sexual_Chocolate, FussyBritches, Hebrew_Hammer
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2012, 01:47:18 am »
I tried to go check how much the game would be but I can't seem to purchase it....did they disable it for now?

If you purchased the original game, you won't need to buy the new one, just pay the monthly sub.  :D

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2012, 01:51:02 am »
If you purchased the original game, you won't need to buy the new one, just pay the monthly sub.  :D

Yah....problem though is that I was like...16?ish when I last played this game and since it required a credit card I didn't use my own...I don't have access to this CC anymore so when I tried to recover my account they wouldn't give me it even though I could provide all the details about my character.

Ima have to repurchase which is fine, I'd just like to know how much it costs...

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2012, 08:37:38 am »

wait so you actually want the massive grind? :/

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2012, 02:24:16 pm »
Think he means he doesn't have time to spend grinding like in DF1. Check this for why grinding should be lessened:

In previous discussion with the community, you said that ..." Skills no longer benefit from macro-ing or scripting in the way they did in Darkfall 1.0". Can you elaborate on any changes that may have been made to the way skills increases work that will make macroing either ineffective or unviable means of progression?

Well for one, it will be a lot faster for a player to reach the famed viable state. With only one role being active at any given time, a player that focuses on a specific play style will be able to become viable and competitive in a very short amount of time. Because of this, the need to macro will be greatly diminished. At the same time there have been many changes to skills and the way they affect and other skills. To give one example, in the first Darkfall, the skills that where macroed quite a lot where movement skills like run sprint and swim because of the benefits they provided to relevant passive skills. In Unholy Wars this will not be the case as movement skills can no longer be leveled up.

This interview is worth a read: http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Paragus1/102012/24100_Darkfall-Unholy-Wars-Interview-with-Aventurine

Or the individual responses are discussed here, with some other info too: http://forums.darkfallonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=68
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Radament

• King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • ☑Yes ☒No
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction
  • Game nicks: «Radament» «Miasma»
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2012, 02:43:00 pm »
good old macro days

if you had no time macro was a temporary solution but i disliked this method , even if i macroed like a ninja inside rocks , constructions , jungle , mountains etc..

Most players used macros to fight , no skill , just press the right button , to much pew pew , all mages/tank/archers/polearmist/... no cap no fun.

Finally Tasos decided to listen to players (only when df 1 failed) and tried to resume a potentially good mmo.