Author Topic: Darkfall Unholy Wars  (Read 23977 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Darkfall Unholy Wars
« on: September 20, 2012, 10:09:17 am »
+3
Aka Darkfall 2.0, as they called it. Supposed to release November 20th.

http://www.darkfallonline.com/blog/?p=3302
http://darkfallonline.com/uw/

Never tried Darkfall myself, was put off by the ugly graphics (not saying bad or outdated, just... ugly) and bad reviews it got, but am definitely looking forward to trying the new/improved version.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
Re: Darkfall Unholy Wars
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 04:48:56 pm »
I dunno what to think really. I played DF for a solid year and a half and quit when I got sick of the lying Greek devs and lack of content updates.

It was still a decent game, great PVP combat but lacking content, terrible UI, and not much to do besides fight and grind gear but because of lack of updates and it was very newbie unfriendly (very steep learning curve while facing a long tough grind) the population was in a long term decline.

This "Darkfall 2.0" is really all the content they never patched for the last 2.5 years, that they saved up instead for a re-release (while charging people a subscription), actually it's really even the content that shoulda been put in place by end of beta, cuz it woulda made Darkfall a polished game at release, so I am still not very happy with the devs. There are also other issues with DF2.0 that supposedly for something being released in 2 months there are basically no gameplay videos and no word of any kind of player testing going on which is quite odd. So overall I am pretty skeptical.

That said they've promised a lot of stuff that would make Darkfall overall a much better game. Complete combat rebalance to add more specialization which will also cut down the grind (currently you basically need to know all magic schools). Gear/magic rebalance, also adding momentum so combat will be less spazmatic, and also changes to fall damage so you can no longer "ski" across map at like 100km/h which created tedious hit&run&chase gameplay. New UI, lighting, sound systems, new models, animations & textures, etc. All should make the game more appealling too.

So I dunno, a lot they need to address still, like a complete feature change list, show some real gameplay videos (seriously how hard is it for a dev to run playclaw for a min and then post it?) also pricing, are they gonna try and charge me 50$ for the client again to try this "new" game out?

After 3 years of lies and the somewhat underhanded practice of charging people subscriptions while not updating game content, I'll believe all this stuff when I see it.

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 06:03:37 pm »
What are the gameplay mechanics like? I did a two second search on gamefaqs and all I could see was that the original got a 2 out of 10 on Eurogamer, haha.
And how!

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 06:21:41 pm »
On top of what Turboflex said about them constantly lying about having about these awesome expansions and lack of content, I REFUSE to pay for a full game and monthly subscription for the chance of it tanking yet again. I've kinad given up on Darkfall, amazing PvP but that was about it.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 06:26:05 pm »
+1
Darkfall players get DF UW for free, as I heard, since it's actually the same game just "redone". This are the supposed changes:

**Visual Updates**
- New motion-capture animations
- New character models
- Citys/Hamlets/Villages redesigned, relocated and renamed.
- Full world redesign NPC/Chaos Citys included (based off the shape Darkfall 1 map had)
- New dynamic light system
- Plethora of new and revamped item skins

* New sound system
* New Crafting System (including recycling system?)
* Introduction of market (auction house)
* Newbies start the game cut-off from the world during their tutorial while they familiarize themselves with the game.
* You're no longer allowed to attack anybody in NPC cities, even clans that are at war. But as soon soon as you step outside NPC city, you turn grey and are a fair game for anybody.

**Character Development**
- Role System - You can pick (and change whenever you want) a basic role for your character, for example, Warrior, Mage, Skirmisher. These "roles" will define what armor you will be allowed to wear. Different roles will provide different bonuses or penalties towards different armor types (heavy, medium, light).

- Specialization System - You can no longer be jack of all trades, master of everything. You will have to specialize in certain discipline, or disciplines. For example, you can choose to specialize in Water Magic as your primary and Earth magic as your secondary discipline. This is different then having Earth as your primary and water as secondary.

Furthermore, opposite schools will lock one another, so if you pick Fire, you can not pick Water at the same time, or if you pick earth, you can not pick air at the same time. The same number of specs will be available for warrior and skirmisher roles.

There are many specs to chose from, including a "healer" spec for example.

It's important to note that you can switch between specs by talking to NPCs. This also means that you can still master/level everything in the game, but you can only use certain amount of abilities at any one time. This will make it so new players can quickly and easily develop their character in a certain spec and be just as effective as every veteran, while at the same time, veterans that put more time into developing their character can switch back and forth the specs if the chose to develop more than a single spec.

**PVP**
- Resource Monoliths, where people get rare materials for controlling an area
- Movement Momentum mechanics. You can't turn 180 instantly if you're running.
- Wobble mechanics. The faster you move, the harder it will be to aim.

* Territory control by linking player villages and player Cities.
* Features to make battle preparation easy and intuitive
* More features that reduce downtime after death, including limbo system.

* New GUI!
* Revamped Dungeons, with traps and other obstacles leading up to Bosses.
* New world bosses
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 06:31:30 pm by Vibe »

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 07:05:08 pm »
+1
What are the gameplay mechanics like? I did a two second search on gamefaqs and all I could see was that the original got a 2 out of 10 on Eurogamer, haha.

The Eurogamer thing was a bit of a scandal cuz it's not that bad. I think the review was written by a hater, some kind of Warcraft fanboy or something, very biased.

It's basically a full action MMORPG. No tab targetting, fast paced combat (faster than cRPG, closer to quake/tribes). You level up by using skills, like to raise fireball spell you hit mobs with it, it raises your fire magic skill, fireball skill. Clans takeover cities and hamlets, use them as bases for territory control, good ones have nicer hunting spots, dungeons nearby. Other clans can siege them, raid them ,etc.

The combat system is REALLY good, great physics, lotsa skill needed, and fun. The game just had other major problems:
-the biggest was that you basically needed to learn everything to compete against vet players so it was a ridiculous grind newbies. Huge block to get new players in, especially 1 year in.
-Everything was kind of half-ass, basic beta level stuff. Dungeons, city designs, combat balance (naked spellcasting was OP vs actually gearing up), crafting, resources in gameworld, npc areas, economy/markets/vendors, stuff full of design flaws and screaming for overhauls. Nothing too serious by itself, but when you take it all together, and combine with basically no serious content updates/patches for 2 years, people started heading for exits.

What the Greek scoundrels did was string people along with false expansion promises when they were really holding back all these ovrhauls for one giant "relaunch". I get their logic, cuz it's gonna make a much larger marketing splash as "Darkfall 2", combined with a wipe, maybe being on steam, etc. But they really hosed over their existing players by not gradually improving the game as most MMOs do.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 07:11:34 pm »
+1
Yeah, I read the forums a bit and the vets are saying that Darkfall 1.0 is basically the beta for Darkfall Unholy Wars :D

Offline GreasySausageSandwhich

• Knight
  • Renown: 37
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Flint_Beastwood, GreasySausageSandwhich, NFL_QB_AaronRodgers, etc.
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 07:48:46 pm »
Yeah, I read the forums a bit and the vets are saying that Darkfall 1.0 is basically the beta for Darkfall Unholy Wars :D

They are right, but keep in mind Darkfall probably had one of the most trollish communities EVER.

I loved Darkfall, but the unimaginable grind really kept me away from playing long term.  I also seriously hated their devs.  I hope they turn it around, because Darkfall could be EXTREMELY fun. 

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 08:58:57 pm »
Well darkfall despite is NUMEROUS flaws was still the probably the funnest game there ever was. the developers are pretty clueless and its likely they will fuck this up, but if they pull it off this could be the best game of all time. so fuck me am I excited, literally waiting 2+ years for this. best part is ive finished uni so I dont care if it consumes my "life" anymore.

The Eurogamer thing was a bit of a scandal cuz it's not that bad.

The scandal was they proved the reviewer didn't even play the game.

Offline mofugga

• Knight
  • Renown: 60
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Longrod_Von_Hugendong, Sexual_Chocolate, FussyBritches, Hebrew_Hammer
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 01:42:21 am »
Everyone here should play Darkfall.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 09:19:48 am »
There will be a character wipe for DF:UW

"These are different games and the DFUW character system is incompatible with the old characters. These are two completely different worlds, there is a different skill acquisition system, different skills, different stats, all the way down to the story-line; everything makes them incompatible," explains producer Tasos Flambouras.

Offline mofugga

• Knight
  • Renown: 60
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Longrod_Von_Hugendong, Sexual_Chocolate, FussyBritches, Hebrew_Hammer
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 12:20:57 am »
It should also be noted that anyone who purchased the original Darkfall will receive the "new" game for free (other than the monthly sub fee of course).

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 02:43:37 am »
I check everyday.  still they give no good info  Q_Q

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 07:40:11 am »
I check everyday.  still they give no good info  Q_Q

Yeah so very little info and videos considering this thing is getting released in mid November...

Offline Techno

• Count
  • Renown: 212
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Gecko
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 03:00:44 pm »
Long live The Desperate Housewives