Author Topic: You can get banned for posting *spoilers* in chat?  (Read 5724 times)

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
Re: You can get banned for posting *spoilers* in chat?
« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2012, 08:51:18 pm »
+2
Smooth, you're exaggerating.

Spoilers aren't serious business.

But I do understand why you banned the dude. Because he's a dick.

And that's the only important thing here.

I'm not a spoiler chocolate chip cookie here, or a chat fascist.  Pretty much any trolling in chat just gets a mute if I'm on and someone complains or its especially awful, a "meh" and a warning if its a first time complaint or not too bad in a ban request.  But when you're an admin on these small servers for long enough its easy to remember trouble makers and hand out responses that are fair to the circumstances, which include's a player's ban history or repeat behaviour.

We keep track of notorious griefers in our pro secret Official Server Admins Forums lounge, and the spoilerer in question here is a steam friend of mine who I chat with, and told him I'd ban him if I got more complaints in the future.

There is a shocking amount of common sense put into most admin decisions.  Common folk shouldn't worry themselves too much about it.  We know what's best for all of you.  Go back to your homes and stop posting immediately.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline djavo

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 120
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Salut
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HDZ_wing
  • Game nicks: Djavo
  • IRC nick: Kebab_Monteno
« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2012, 08:53:56 pm »
So what if I tell you for example that last boss in Duke Nukem is Sarevok who killed your father?

Offline gazda

• Earl
  • Renown: 483
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • Its almost harvesting season.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Saracens
  • Game nicks: Gazda_the_Swine
  • IRC nick: gazda
« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2012, 09:44:52 pm »
+2
On the serious side,

Banning someone for giving out spoilers is the lamest, dumbest, shittiest, most idiotic thing to do!

So, lets start from the statement that giving spoilers is griefing.
In order for something to be griefing, the  other party needs get annoyed, irritated etc. Now, if someone gives spoilers about tv show, or something else, some people will get irritated, in which case to them it is griefing, and some won't, in which case its no offense at all. Now, we already have a split conditional offense.
  Should my neighbour be arrested for having bbq that produces smell which bothers me? or should I just close the window? Now, what about those who do find it offensive? should a man giving out spoilers be banned , or should those who find it offensive just mute him?
  Offense he did, was personal, and it CAN be solved personally. Global punishment is only for something that that individual cannot resolve himself.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2012, 09:48:56 pm »
On the serious side,

Banning someone for giving out spoilers is the lamest, dumbest, shittiest, most idiotic thing to do!

In order for something to be griefing, the  other party needs get annoyed, irritated etc. Now, if someone gives spoilers about tv show, or something else, some people will get irritated, in which case to them it is griefing, and some won't, in which case its no offense at all. Now, we already have a split conditional offense.
  Should my neighbour be arrested for having bbq that produces smell which bothers me? or should I just close the window? Now, what about those who do find it offensive? should a man giving out spoilers be banned , or should those who find it offensive just mute him?
  Offense he did, was personal, and it CAN be solved personally. Global punishment is only for something that that individual cannot resolve himself.

This my friends is what I call the "AS A WHITE PRIVILEGED MALE IT IS MY *RIGHT* TO SAY (n word) WHENEVER I WANT!!1" defense.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 09:52:46 pm by Smoothrich »
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2012, 09:50:37 pm »
PPl giving out spoilers should be banned as much ppl should be banned who come with "Then I took an arrow to the knee.." sentences, however those don't really exist anymore. That ain't cool anymore.
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #80 on: September 04, 2012, 09:55:57 pm »
On the serious side,

Being a douchebag is not against the law IRL (in most countries).  However being a douchebag at a private store or company, could easily result in you being throw out, or banned for life. 

I'm glad I could show you how your analogy was facetious. 

If someone is trying to be a douchebag and posting spoilers about something as epic as Game of Thrones (or A song of ice and fire books) they should be punished (muted, and if repeated over and over, banned).  24 hours isn't the end of the world, stop acting like a douchebag and you won't get banned.

It's pretty simple.  I try not to act like a douchebag in game, and I've never been banned.  It's not hard to avoid being banned.

*SIDE NOTE*

If a book series as epic as A Song of Ice and Fire can get my 27 year old bro to read 5 books totaling over 4200 pages, when he hasn't read a book since the 5th grade, I'd say it's fucking epic, even if quite nerdtastic. 
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Skyline

• Knight
  • Renown: 64
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • My youtube
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Skyline
  • IRC nick: Skyline
« Reply #81 on: September 04, 2012, 09:57:36 pm »
Being a douchebag is not against the law IRL (in most countries).  However being a douchebag at a private store or company, could easily result in you being throw out, or banned for life. 

I'm glad I could show you how your analogy was facetious. 

If someone is trying to be a douchebag and posting spoilers about something as epic as Game of Thrones (or A song of ice and fire books) they should be punished (muted, and if repeated over and over, banned).  24 hours isn't the end of the world, stop acting like a douchebag and you won't get banned.

It's pretty simple.  I try not to act like a douchebag in game, and I've never been banned.  It's not hard to avoid being banned.

rofl no TV show is "epic"
Common sense is not so common.

"Anyways, there is no TK in this screenshot.  Only one guy killing another"  - Smoothrich

Offline Miwiw

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 04, 2012, 10:01:06 pm »
+2
Who the hell cares about the TV show? It's far from being epic. The books are it! They are one of the best I've read. Not the best to note.
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 04, 2012, 10:24:34 pm »
rofl no TV show is "epic"

The book's sure as fuck are, I've only seen the first season of the TV show, and am only about 1/5th into the 2nd book, but I still really liked the first season on TV.  It's not nearly as epic or in depth as the first book, but the visuals are awesome, you get people who are acting, and you can see the actual fighting and sparring taking place.  There's +'s and -'s to both formats, although the book is way more in depth (you get insight into what characters are thinking).
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #84 on: September 04, 2012, 10:26:58 pm »
+1
I'm still waiting to be banned for talking about the Hobbit book when the three movies are being released  :lol:
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Miwiw

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 04, 2012, 10:27:54 pm »
+1
Ehm, people had more than 60 years time to read the Hobbit book. That's another story. :P
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 04, 2012, 10:37:16 pm »
+1
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 10:41:19 pm by Smoothrich »

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 04, 2012, 10:37:22 pm »
Since Tears and Skyline both +'ed Gazda's post, they must not realize the difference between something being against the law, and something being against a private companies policy.

It might not be illegal to walk around smelling like shit, but if you show up to your job reeking of alcohol and shit, you're probably going to be asked to leave, and never return.

*EDIT*

That was fucking epic smoothdick.  I'd never seen anything from the Rome show before...guess I'll have to check it out now.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 10:45:35 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Skyline

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • My youtube
« Reply #88 on: September 04, 2012, 10:39:05 pm »
The book's sure as fuck are, I've only seen the first season of the TV show, and am only about 1/5th into the 2nd book, but I still really liked the first season on TV.  It's not nearly as epic or in depth as the first book, but the visuals are awesome, you get people who are acting, and you can see the actual fighting and sparring taking place.  There's +'s and -'s to both formats, although the book is way more in depth (you get insight into what characters are thinking).

Which is why i said TV show..... i know the difference between a book and a movie lol.

People take shit way to seriously in here..

"Anyways, there is no TK in this screenshot.  Only one guy killing another"  - Smoothrich

Offline Skyline

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • My youtube
« Reply #89 on: September 04, 2012, 10:42:21 pm »
+1
Since Tears and Skyline both +'ed Gazda's post, they must not realize the difference between something being against the law, and something being against a private companies policy.

It might not be illegal to walk around smelling like shit, but if you show up to your job reeking of alcohol and shit, you're probably going to be asked to leave, and never return.

No the reason i +ed is is because it makes no difference to my game play.  Which is what the admin should be worried about not QQing and banning over a "epic" tv show lol.

And your logic is valid, but doesn't apply here BECAUSE ITS A FUCKING GAME not rl..... no one gets paid to be admin here, no one gets paid to play the game, mute the fucker and move the hell on.