Author Topic: You can get banned for posting *spoilers* in chat?  (Read 5515 times)

Offline DrTaco

• Count
  • Renown: 179
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
  • Your eternal reward
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swashbucklers
  • Game nicks: Magical Toaster
Re: You can get banned for posting *spoilers* in chat?
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2012, 12:41:25 am »
+3
If you can get banned for saying a spoiler for a TV show...

I break down and cry every time someone posts a spoiler to a TV show I watch (Or maybe am addicted to, though I never read the book). Because (I presume) I went to the admins for long enough, or yelled loud enough, the guy who posted spoilers that MAY OR MAY NOT BE TRUE is now banned.

I'm not sure, but this seems a bit ridiculous.
Don't take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2012, 12:46:44 am »
+10
the book has been out for a long time now. how long untill it isnt a spoiler? do we get banned for talking about The Hobbit incase some kid wants to see all the films and not read the book first? where the does madness end :D

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Bryc3ee

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: _AoW
  • Game nicks: Mjolnir
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2012, 01:15:16 am »
Thax has taken a liking to using chat stir up arguments about race (borderline racism in most cases) and regularly spamming with spoilers to later Game of Thrones seasons for several months, solely to grief, and if I searched his chat logs I would probably find even worse things that weren't posted.  I have warned him repeatedly in the past to behave, have muted him when I'm on, and told him that he will end up being banned when people start complaining.  If you recall, Zisa had a breakdown on these forums because Thax, on alternate accounts, went on racist rants daily and provoked Zisa into tk'ing him and being banned for it.

This time, he was griefing.  Spamming the chat with spoilers to anticipated or popular things is griefing.  For those who don't know, griefing is just finding ways in a multiplayer game to ruin the enjoyment for others, often without in game penalty (except from server admins who catch and prevent it)

http://forum.meleegaming.com/announcements/official-server-rules/
No abuse of in-game chat (racism, insulting, griefing...)

He's breaking the rules.  He has a history of doing the same thing.  I banned him for 24 hours.

That's my excuse.  What's the excuse for this thread, in general discussion, posted by one of the most notorious Ban Request Forum trolls?
Calm down nerds.

Nice Smoothrich. If you're going to throw out accusations to justify your nerd rage why don't you back it up with some evidence?

Offline TugBoat

• Earl
  • Renown: 430
  • Infamy: 211
  • cRPG Player
  • TotallyTugBoat on Steam
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BOAT CLAN
  • Game nicks: TugBOAT
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2012, 01:17:09 am »
the fuck i read the spoiler.  fuck this shit. deserved ban,  god i am pissed now fuck.

Most of what has been said that is a spoiler is pure speculation.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2012, 01:27:57 am »
+4
Its someone trolling/abusing chat to make some people very mad or upset and probably not want to play on the server anymore, who received warnings and bans for the exact same thing in the past.  GoT book spoilers is textbook griefing method number 1 on the internet, its not even original.  I have been seen people on somethingawful post gigantic images just listing who dies in the middle of TV discussion threads, which leads to instant bans.  Same treatment on Reddit.  If you did this in public, you'd probably be punched in the mouth by some ex-marine who just got in the show or something.

Just because YOU personally don't care about spoilers doesn't make it not griefing.  It means you have no empathy for other human beings, a terrible sense of perspective and logic, and probably no soul.  Shame on you all.

By the way, I've read the books so it's not like I'm personally mad.  You people are ridiculous, at least the ones who aren't simply blatant EU trolls (90 percent of people in this thread)
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2012, 01:42:04 am »
I haven't seen "The Dictator" yet. So if ppl are talking about it in the server would it be a legit reason to cry for a ban?
Pock gobblers

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2012, 01:56:04 am »
+5
I haven't seen "The Dictator" yet. So if ppl are talking about it in the server would it be a legit reason to cry for a ban?

He wasn't just talking about GoT with some other fans.  He was just listing major events/twists that happen next season often in all caps, so people would be forced to read it and ruin some of the show for them.  This isn't the first time.  I've been on to mute people doing this before, but after so many times a mute might not do the trick for a person.

Everything should be judged fairly and with common sense.  A friendly conversation about something (like this ever happens in cRPG chat) wouldn't be treated the same way by bullet-point spoiler notes being spammed in all chat by someone with a long warning and ban history of trolling and griefing in chat, trying to provoke as much anger as possible.

Also, this was a 24 hour ban to tell him to knock it off and stop spoiling the show for everyone, including innocent people who logged on to play cRPG for a half hour after work, and probably would never bother posting in this thread like you spergs.

Why do people even care so much lmao, its a day break from a dumb videogame server for being a dick in chat.  I've seen people get lifetime bans from cRPG servers for standing in shield walls on the ATS servers, and lifetime bans for cursing in WW2 shooters if its "christian administrated"

If anyone legitimately thinks I am some warped power-hungry admin who bans to grief because of this, then.. I guess you're right.  Now I will ban everyone who shit talked me in this thread.  Starting with you, Havoco.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Havoco

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2012, 02:15:57 am »
All I was doing was asking a question. I'm sry though, this whole rule seems silly to me. It's just my opinion, but I wouldn't give a shit about what he said even if I watched game of thrones. Although it's funny that u think I'm shit-talking you.

And yes, this has happened to me b4. Ppl "spoiling" the primary quest for skyrim for example. I really don't give a shit about spoilers.

Pock gobblers

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2012, 02:21:35 am »
All I was doing was asking a question. I'm sry though, this whole rule seems silly to me. It's just my opinion, but I wouldn't give a shit about what he said even if I watched game of thrones. Although it's funny that u think I'm shit-talking you.

And yes, this has happened to me b4. Ppl "spoiling" the primary quest for skyrim for example. I really don't give a shit about spoilers.

You don't care, that's fine.  But others do.  That's my entire point, and why I think people's complaints here are so silly.  Its just somebody trying to piss people off with whatever tools they have at their disposal.  Spoilers for popular thing is a common one.  It doesn't matter what your personal attitude towards hearing a spoiler is, or what my personal reaction is.  Its just abusing the chat to grief, because odds are someone out there cares, which is breaking the rules.

It's basically like arguing "As a white privileged male, I'm not offended by the n-word.  Why should it be bannable?"  This argument has been made by cRPG players countless times too lmao

Offline Havoco

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2012, 02:44:58 am »
Sounds like ppl get too tied into the suspense and less into the true enjoyment of the episode. (unless u find suspense enjoyable.  :rolleyes:).

So, can we also ban ppl that say gf, gg, all of that nonsense just to grief others? Thats chat abusing too, and I find it really irritating and it ruins my enjoyment of the game!

Anyways, this is a controversial topic;and I'm not the only one that questioned ur ruling.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 03:47:52 am by Havoco »
Pock gobblers

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2012, 04:30:53 am »
+1
I'm too dumb not to read the entire post before opening spoilers, but I have enough mental control to forget what I saw.

Sounds like ppl get too tied into the suspense and less into the true enjoyment of the episode. (unless u find suspense enjoyable.  :rolleyes:).

Tbh, suspense is a big part of the pleasure of reading, but it depends on the genre. I'm quite sure I'm like many people and I tend not to be as enthusiastic about books/shows such as game of thrones when I already know what will happen.

Of course if it was family guy, skyrim or superman I wouldn't really mind.

The "do not be an asshat" rule has it's uses, and I think this is a good one.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 04:37:17 am by Kafein »

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2012, 05:55:41 pm »
This is fucking ridiculous... :|

No it's not...Game of Thrones is serious business.  I'm only a few chapters into the 2nd book, I don't want some douchebag spoiling the ending of the 5th book for me...that shit should be bannable.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2012, 07:50:52 pm »
Smoothrich you're catering too much to the emo vote.

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2012, 08:12:42 pm »
+1
Im sorry but you guys are calling for spoilers:

(click to show/hide)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2517
  • Infamy: 1330
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2012, 08:37:36 pm »
+1
Smooth, you're exaggerating.

Spoilers aren't serious business.

But I do understand why you banned the dude. Because he's a dick.

And that's the only important thing here.