Poll

Your opinion on the turn rate nerf?

I like it.
70 (27.3%)
I liked it how it was.
130 (50.8%)
I'd prefer adjustments to the current settings (please state which).
56 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 255

Author Topic: Turn rate nerf  (Read 10455 times)

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Turn rate nerf
« on: September 02, 2012, 05:39:51 pm »
+22
What does the community think about the turn rate nerf?

I'm just curious and can see arguments both for and against - please take this as an invitation to debate and not to flame post.

At first I thought it was great; no more roflcopter spinning and silly lolmoves, and I thought the irritating restricted feeling would diminish with time as I got more used to it.

It hasn't though. The free form fighting system that I love about this series seems obstructed somewhat and it limits the skill ceiling as far as I can see, making the game slower and clunkier, where faster less limited movement makes for more room to experiment and do 'advanced' (without too much emphasis on the wording here..) attacks and tricks the turn rate nerf makes combat more predictable - though arguably prettier and more 'natural'. As a case in point, players now do side swings more than any other attack (though this also has to do with the b0rked stab and overhead hitboxes, at least for 2h swords), and I see people complain about team wounding and tk's that wouldn't have happened before the nerf, something I also experience myself, and you would suppose people have accustomed themselves to the lower speed by now. The camera moves faster than the character model imposing an intrusive feeling of dragging your character after the POV, which I guess is what confuses people when trying to land their (primarily overhead and stab) attacks now.

Usually I'm all for 'realism' over arcade gameplay but this may be the one exception, because unlike most other games I play the combat system is my main reason for playing the M&B games and I simply think the current limited turn rate subtracts from the fun factor, which is probably also why TaleWorlds didn't go through with it when it was attempted in one of the beta patches (where it was also downvoted by beta testers).

On paper this seems like a good idea, imo, but as a gameplay mechanic I have personally begun to dislike it, and I think pro and con arguments should be based not on 'realism' or 'lolmoves' which though important is (to me) less central than the feeling of character control, which right now seems much slower and awkward than it used to, emphasized by an already slow game experience compared to most other modules. But admittedly, my experience with it may also be affected by more than 3 years of WB, or me primarily being a 2hander, though I have really tried to get used to the change. But mainly I see no reason for it, let people look stupid if they wish and the rest of us feel less restricted.

Thank you for your time and please share your thoughts.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 05:50:23 pm by Angantyr »

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
Re: Turn rate nerf
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 05:47:21 pm »
+2
After everyone learned how to adjust to it instead of bitching about it it's fine. The overhead nerf though..
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 05:48:22 pm »
+11
Was completely unnecessary to nerf overhead so hard, especially for short/light weapons. It wasn't even OP attack, so no urgent balancing was achieved, all that happened was combat diversity was reduced.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 05:48:44 pm »
+4
ya,  overhead nerf is what pisses me off and takes away again quit some freedom and possibilities
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 05:50:38 pm »
+1
ya,  overhead nerf is what pisses me off and takes away again quit some freedom and possibilities

I wouldn't have to post anymore if you posted more Torben :D

ps. voted for 3rd option. My opinion is to keep the stabbing limit, but ease the nerf on overheads. I know it was done because of the ezimode maulers turning their overhead to the target after they've missed the hit and the animation is at the ending part. Is it possible to keep the overhead limit on mauls and remove from other weapons?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 05:57:57 pm by Son Of Odin »

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 05:51:40 pm »
Yeah, I'm mostly concerned about the overhead nerf myself.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 05:53:44 pm »
+2
I wouldn't have to post anymore if you posted more Torben :D

: ) 

well than you post some more so i can retire.  my fingers are getting old,  every letter i write seems to shorten.. my... life..... eehrg.
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 05:54:25 pm »
M&B is such an amazing game
CRPG was fucking amazing when i started it, i had a lot of fun because i could play how i want and wasnt forced to use range, i was using an elegant poleaxe with 98 speed, i could duel with it and would rape every shielder in battle... sure it wasnt the best for duel, but god damn was it fun in battle...

it had the same melee combat as native, animations werent clunky, bouncing was way way way less "dominating" (less goretooth like herp derp rely on bounce to get kills) and yes there was a couple of player who sucked ass and were still in the top 3 of every map (beatrix, kesh, etc), but atleast i wasnt afraid of fighting them because i could flawless them without being afraid of my trust bouncing due to fucking retarded animations and screen turning speed, you could kill every bads in second because the game actually promoted single player skill and you could feint/abuse twitchy animations combo to make bads spin their screen around to not see anything.

now my fucking poleaxe has 92 speed, the mod is clunky as fuck and overhead (my favorite swing) is barely usable unless you do no twitch at all (so killing a bad now takes 5 years) and you just get zerged down because nobody kills nobody otherwise because mod is clunky, everybody stacks str and armor looms, mod is slow as hell and animations are just plain fucking retarded compared to native.

now that melee is boring and doesnt get the job done to kill people fast enough to not get zerged, cav numbers are increased, which makes playing melee even more frustrating so those who find cav boring go archers, because they dont want to quit such a great game where you have so many good memories, but little do they know is those memories are long gone, just like player skill in battle.

only legit post ive ever done on these forums, yall bads anyway, nobody ever duels on native, gotta crutch on this slowness/clunkyness/levels/armor some more jellybean.

In other words stop catering potheads and seniors with the reflexes of a zombi...
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Wojtek_the_Kurwa_Great

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Wojtek
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 05:58:37 pm »
+3
This thread is pointless.  It absolutely doesn't matter because cmp will come in here and say "combat seems fine to me, no hitbox issues here i know because i play"

.... just like he did in the original turnspeed nerf thread.

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 06:03:52 pm »
It should be adjusted acording to the weight of the weapon.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 06:12:16 pm »
This thread is pointless.  It absolutely doesn't matter because cmp will come in here and say "combat seems fine to me, no hitbox issues here i know because i play"

.... just like he did in the original turnspeed nerf thread.
...and CMP will be correct...
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline sF_Guardian

• Marshall
  • Renown: 738
  • Infamy: 254
  • cRPG Player
  • In honour of Pepe the kindest baguette
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sad Hobo Guild, Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Peso, Dondergod, Hobo_loves_Pepe, Ras_Putin_the_stronk, FrenchBow_le_tarlouze, Forrest_Trump...
  • IRC nick: Peso
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 06:20:36 pm »
Turnspeed should be the same like before for all but long stabby weps like Pike or Long Spear, weps over 160 lenght should stay restricted to prevent lolstabbin a bit.
I don't want to give a feedback to molly neither i want to ban him,I wanted to give advise high authorities to take his admin rights.Panos you monkey wrench where would u put this topic enlighten me you cancer fuck.

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 06:26:18 pm »
+4
It was probably changed due to QQ about longspear, maul and lolstab, but it has just made everyone fight like cripples. It was perfect the way it was before.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 06:41:26 pm »
I'm really dissapointed by the turn nerf, but im not sure if there was another possibility for the dev to nerf the lolstab without acting on the turn speed.

The main problem of that nerf is that it is almost impossible to fight a gank squad when you are heavily surrounded, old turning speed was very rewarding for people who had very good reflex.

Offline Ptolemy

• Weeaboo
  • Count
  • Renown: 257
  • Infamy: 182
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja
  • Game nicks: Nomin
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 06:54:54 pm »
+7
Reverting isn't a bad thing, nor is it admitting a mistake was made. An idea was tested, it's been unpopular with the majority, thus it should be removed.