Author Topic: EU1 These Days.  (Read 15840 times)

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
Re: EU1 These Days.
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2012, 10:34:23 pm »
+2
Archers are squishy, easy kills. And they barely do any damage, I approve of more archery.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2012, 10:35:09 pm »
+2
The game is balanced right now. The only issue is there has been a shift in the METAGAME. There are more archers and cav now, which means we need more shielders, hoplites, etc. it'll balance itself out back to a different % of player base being different things.
This is not an issue with balance. This is an issue of What do YOU want to see the battle be? Be it.

This is true.

But who wants to be a hoplite or shielder once you mastered manual fighting? Where's the fun in that? Then it's easier to say fuck it and become a cav or archer yourself. I'm afraid that that is where the metagame is going.. And to counter it we need some changes.

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2012, 10:38:04 pm »
+3
Time to make fake changes to shift the metagame again.

Wait..
Monkeys!

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2012, 10:40:03 pm »
This is true.

But who wants to be a hoplite or shielder once you mastered manual fighting? Where's the fun in that? Then it's easier to say fuck it and become a cav or archer yourself. I'm afraid that that is where the metagame is going.. And to counter it we need some changes.
Glad you understand my worries.

As for 2h and manual block mastery, I know that feeling... to 2hs out there: fFr the last year and a half or so long, I've recommended in all my 2h/pole builds 1 point in shield. So you can carry it on your back and use it for transit to battlegrounds and protection from archers.
I still recommend it. And people always put that point in ironflesh or WM instead. That shield helps sooo much, especially now.

And there is nothing worng with being a hoplite/1h shielder and putting your shield away as soon as you're not being shot at. Eghh
Time to make fake changes to shift the metagame again.

Wait..
(click to show/hide)

No, but really, our maps need WAY more cover. All of them. It'll make them more fun, and fix this problem. Metagame and map issue /thread.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 10:43:08 pm by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline HUtH

• Baron
  • Renown: 94
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2012, 10:45:52 pm »
Recently I went mounted with bastard...(second respec), because of my poor machine(30 fps isn't often for me...) and therefore problems in fighting(and I will never use permablock shield) and because it's real fun to bump people and get fast in most places on map... generally it's easier to avoid shooters and infantry mass and "hit and run" tactics work well usually.
Generally being footman without shield or fuken big sword/pole and heavy armor is tough... being only supportive with pikes or throwing stuff isn't very satisfying for me... but I shot people 10 years in CoD etc., so choice of cav is obvious.
Sorry
for
my
terrible
English

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2012, 10:47:35 pm »
+1
lol yes, they have been so much nerfed that their number increased (or at least remains stable) ... Stop repeating ranged propaganda

We've been so nerfed that we actually need to be more than 30% of the server population to be able to do something without getting slaughter right away. And when "archers" OWN the server, you can actually only see 2 archers per team in the top 10. Then there's average cav/melee, depending on the map.

Also, at the moment, i really feel like hoplites are the class that gets most advantages from the score system. But our 2handers hero would never complain about them, cause it would be accepting the fact that they died to a oneAttack-direction guy with a shield. Unacceptable.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Swaggart

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2012, 10:47:43 pm »
that's your opinion, in ma case i found being an archer far more challenging, having no wfp in 1hander and managing to kill a full geared polearm/2hander/shielder is better then just having to run around as infantry and doing the same thing over agein.

What does killing someone in melee have to do with archery being hard?

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2062
  • Infamy: 1974
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2012, 10:54:30 pm »
+1
As of lately I play EU2 or EU7. Great fun, great atmosphere.

EU1 is toxic.

Offline Lezard

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 9
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2012, 10:59:24 pm »
+1
FYI Paul is very very good at the game. Probably one of the best, if not the best.. Especially dueling. :)

There is one player I really respect in this game, and that is Paul. However, to be blunt, he's skill in archery and cavalry play is lacking compared to his melee skills. Obviously melee is easy mode from his point of view because he's so good at it.

Just throwing that out. I can't agree with people saying archery or cavalry is harder than melee. Different skill-set, but definitely not harder or deeper than melee gameplay.

As said many times before, the problem with ranged and cavalry are when their numbers gets too high. Too much ranged and cavalry sucks. It's not fun to play against as melee. Doesn't matter if you have a shield or not.

No idea how to "fix it" without nerfing ranged and cavalry to the ground, other then putting a cap on the number of cavalry and ranged allowed...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 11:46:56 am by Lezard »

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2012, 11:04:06 pm »
How about more accuracy, Less ammo. Let people hit as long as they make a good shot but get rid of archer spam. I don't like RNG determining if someone hits or not, let them be accurate but have some negatives to go with that. The good archers will get hits, bad archers will get better or play melee/cav
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2012, 11:04:32 pm »
+1
More cover, more city maps, etc will fix it.
too many open village maps. Villages are fine, but all these villages are so strangely empty! Not enough equipment and general- living things around for an old village from both realistic and balance standpoint. Need more Clutter. For example, Every building should have a huge woodpile somewhere within 15 feet lest they want to freeze to death in the winter. Place them so they are convenient cover for advancing ifnantry, people jumping behind from cav/archer fire, archers to peak aorund, etc. USEFUL PROPS.

Fuck I need to learn mapping don't I. be the change you want to see eh? I'll be moving to a place with shit internet in a week, convenient eh...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 11:16:27 pm by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Lansamur

• Count
  • Renown: 232
  • Infamy: 46
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lansamur, The_Prisoner,Beer_Storage, Carebear_Ravenei
  • IRC nick: Lansamur
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2012, 11:26:32 pm »
+1
lol yes, they have been so much nerfed that their number increased (or at least remains stable) ... Stop repeating ranged propaganda

To compensate nerfs, they increased their numbers. Their fault? Hardly. It's like the question of what came first, the egg or the hen?

I am currently not even playing any ranged chars, nor do I have any at my disposal. But I remember the hardship archery has been when I tried it out for about 2-3 generations. You all seem to forget, or actually never have known, that not all arrows fly straight. People whine the hardest about ranged teamhitting them, while probably ranged teamhits won't even cause 30% of the overall teamdamage done per round. Learning curve in archery? I'll give in to the point that it's mainly just point and click, but you never seem to count in human factors. Reaction time, enemy movement, enemy dodges, server-weather, all things factors that give me a headache everytime I'm starting a ranged char. The hitratio of an average archer is maybe 3 out of 10, if he gets lucky, and 1 will probably be a teamhit. You simply don't have those problems as a meleer. 9 out of 10 strikes hit the target (enemy AND friend), in some way you almost always stun (ever so slightly even) your enemy/friend, whether in duel or battle doesnt really matter. In great numbers EVERY class will be OP and cause cascades of whine to fall down on the devs. Again, get real.

[22:17] <@chadz> congratz cmpxchg8b, you managed to put 995 errors into the item sheet!
[22:17] <@cmpxchg8b> epic winning
[22:17] <@cmpxchg8b> beat that Fasader

Offline Youhou

• Knight
  • Renown: 54
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Youhou
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2012, 12:04:13 am »
I have played as 2hander many gens but I also used to play archer. When I started cRPG I went archer because I sucked at melee. As archer I could get decent scores with low amounts of deaths. Playing as an archer I ran into melee fights sometimes and I really enjoyed them and after my build got nerfed (didnt know how to make good one) I went full 2hander. I enjoy having fights against 2 or more people and still coming out as a winner. For me melee is most enjoyable class.

Ranged today is really effective. I can be 2 shotted by dedicated archers which are damn accurate and usually there are more than one archer shooting me. Getting close to them is hard because of their speed. I have few options:

1. I wait when the round starts so amount of ranged have decreased
2. I use my skillpoints to shield, which slows me down
3. Use my team as meatwall
4. Dance like retard and still get hit

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2012, 12:12:04 am »
+1
You know what, this badly made sketch is  the most accurate interpitation of C-rpg ive ever seen in my life. I exactly ran trough that sketch the entire time of my Crpg playin time. Currently im stuck in the endless fight part of the sketch.

But yea...been avoiding EU 1 and C-rpg overall for a while now. Rangednerf is way bigger than before. Cant really get into proper melee these days and im quite sad.

And did someone acctually mention archery being hard. Well yea...mybe at first. But once you get MW bow and MW arrows with a good archer build  you'd might as well type /god in some console. Cause than archers do about as much dam as a freaking arbalest. Even if lacking any type of aiming skills, that alone would guarantee you a top at the scoreboard if you ran from fights like a coward and shot pointblank.

So why are most archers NOT on top? Even counting the loomed ones who are almost always BELOW the loomed Cav or Front-Line Infantry? I'm talking both Kills as well as Score points here.

We apparently play two very different games as a significantly larger portion of the melee base has higher scores then the range base does on average. When the devs released the "Total Damage Done By Weapon" stats a while back, bow damage was about 9% of all damage for both NA and EU, so... Where is my Godmode?

New Archer =/= Old Archery.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Ad1no

• Count
  • Renown: 165
  • Infamy: 284
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Of The Codex
  • Game nicks: The_Sosarian_Knight
  • IRC nick: Sosarian
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2012, 12:18:35 am »
+1
So why are most archers NOT on top? Even counting the loomed ones who are almost always BELOW the loomed Cav or Front-Line Infantry? I'm talking both Kills as well as Score points here.

We apparently play two very different games as a significantly larger portion of the melee base has higher scores then the range base does on average. When the devs released the "Total Damage Done By Weapon" stats a while back, bow damage was about 9% of all damage for both NA and EU, so... Where is my Godmode?

New Archer =/= Old Archery.

This is such failed logic it hurts my brain. Why does melee do the most dmg in a round? BECAUSE THEY ARE HITTING OTHER MELEE!

Obviously they are not chasing down archers for top scores.