Author Topic: EU1 These Days.  (Read 15863 times)

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
Re: EU1 These Days.
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2012, 09:57:17 pm »
+1
Hack & slay means completely different stuff. Teeth pretty much rounded it up. You are complete crap if you just consentrate on duel. In battle you have to be full aware while also trying to block, dodge arrows and cav. Melee is really the only thang that kept us playin.

Cav with lance is just pokey pokey and backstabbing less aware players, not particularly hard. Just seriuslly expensive class.

Archery is just endless shooting. Personaly I hate archers due to them using dirty tactics. Getting shot in the face during a fight is fine by me. But when last players of the round are some shitbag archers who just jump far away from melee fighters and pointblankshoot is what really draws me away from the game completely. If it was up to me id make those damn bows wieght atleast 80. :twisted:

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2012, 09:57:36 pm »
+1
It's this kind of attitude that sickens me. Developers who aren't good at the game and out of touch with the community who refuse to be corrected.

A hard head makes for a soft ass.

FYI Paul is very very good at the game. Probably one of the best, if not the best.. Especially dueling. :)

He's also very stubborn.

In my opinion we are discussing this from the wrong perspective.

We should have an opinion of what gives the most fun to the most of players. Then we will have a good game balance.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 10:01:49 pm by Thomek »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2012, 09:58:01 pm »
Pretty much this. Archery is the most challenging class cRPG has to offer. Being a Kuyak-Greatsword hero isn't hard, same as abusing speedbonus as agi-whored swashbuckler (without the buckler).just point and right- or leftclick as you please, then hit "S". Chambering isn't that hard either as you make it out to be. I taught someone to chamber in less than an hour, and his playtime in cRPG was about 3 hours beforehand.
Respectfully disagree sir, ever tried stone thrower? That shit is hard.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2012, 09:59:28 pm »
FYI Paul is very very good at the game. Probably one of the best, if not the best.. Especially dueling. :)

He's also very stubborn.

I think people forget just whats involved with melee in this game, simply because they played so long and are so good at it. when you're personally very good at it yourself you miss what most players are going through as they play. It becomes second nature. Simply stringing some manual blocks together takes more skill than firing a bow and sometimes hitting stuff, imo ofc
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Babelfish

• Knight
  • Renown: 62
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2012, 10:00:02 pm »
Developers who aren't good at the game

Offline Lansamur

• Count
  • Renown: 232
  • Infamy: 46
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lansamur, The_Prisoner,Beer_Storage, Carebear_Ravenei
  • IRC nick: Lansamur
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2012, 10:00:08 pm »
Respectfully disagree sir, ever tried stone thrower? That shit is hard.

Yup. 10 PT Catapulteer at your command!
[22:17] <@chadz> congratz cmpxchg8b, you managed to put 995 errors into the item sheet!
[22:17] <@cmpxchg8b> epic winning
[22:17] <@cmpxchg8b> beat that Fasader

Offline karasu

• King
  • Renown: 1751
  • Infamy: 316
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • D̶͎̳͒́͗͋ẹ͕̲̠̳̄̃͂ͤ͑ͮṃ̮͎̗̦̏̿͊ͤi̥̪̼͕ͦ̀̊̐ȗ̘rͩ͋̅̊gͭ̿̋
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2012, 10:00:30 pm »
* karasu points at his signature.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2012, 10:04:58 pm »
+1
(click to show/hide)
Paul uses a shield.

Again, I am not talking about the strength of archery or cav, I am just talking about the melee combat being the best gameplay I've ever played and the cav and ranged gameplay not quite being able to compare. That is my opinion, but I think it's the melee combat that ultimately made this game last for most of us for such a long time. That is all. I am well aware that topping the board is not that hard as melee, actually as a swashbuckler it's somewhat challenging.

Chambering isn't that hard either as you make it out to be.
I can count the people that regularly chamber on two hands, and thats on duel.

Archery has a different skill curve then melee. You reach near the top of your potential skill level as an archer in like ten hours. It's the true mastering of the class thats going to take you hundreds of hours. With melee you can consistently improve on so much different aspects, the skill curve is more gradual, but true mastery is never reached at all.

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2012, 10:07:18 pm »
+1
It's this kind of attitude that sickens me. Developers who aren't good at the game and out of touch with the community who refuse to be corrected.

A hard head makes for a soft ass.
(click to show/hide)
As long as what you're discussion is all based on opinion, with no real evidence to support either claim then it's all about belief, there is no fact, there is no right, there can be no correction.

EDIT: The spoiler contains a complete incoherent rant caused by me being frustrated by the idiotic elitism of Ad1no, outside the spoiler the remaining part of my post still stands.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2012, 10:10:02 pm »
+1
Nothing has changed much since the last great archery discussions I see ...

Thinking that archery is about "point and click" is the very reason for it to be viable in the first place, as this statement only reveals the lack of knowledge and insight about the class to counter it.

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2012, 10:17:27 pm »
Thinking that archery is about "point and click" is the very reason for it to be viable in the first place, as this statement only reveals the lack of knowledge and insight about the class to counter it.
Yeah, archery is also W key for an hour then point and click again.  :mrgreen:
Seriously though, archery is far more difficult than melee, while it may not be as unique then it's still more difficult and just 'cuss you consider melee more fun to play doesn't mean archery needs to be pushed out of the way 'n' shit and I guess I'm wrong in my belief that the mod would be more fun for everyone if kiting was removed, I'll always believe no spots on battle maps should be 100% unreachable for cav and still be reachable for regular players, but this is purely due to believing that nothing should 100% counter something else and fuck, I just don't know... I don't like not being able to fight anything I guess, that's how I think all meleers would feel about kiting, but eh...
...fuck?

Offline Bonze

• Knight
  • Renown: 47
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Anti-Fagcher-Liberation-Front (AFLF)
  • Game nicks: King of FF bump
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2012, 10:25:48 pm »
For me melee is easy mode on EU1. Always top section of scoreboard, low ranged pressure even with many archers around, biggest impact on round outcome. Actually playing an archer and doing well is challenging - doing it as melee, either cav or on foot is not.

Out of touch with reality.

That's why we had every week 100.000.000.000 threads about ranged ..since 2 years .. :twisted:
Got no Balls? Play archer. Got no sex? Play horse archer.

Offline Bonze

• Knight
  • Renown: 47
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Anti-Fagcher-Liberation-Front (AFLF)
  • Game nicks: King of FF bump
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2012, 10:27:04 pm »
Nothing has changed much since the last great archery discussions 2010 I see ...

:wink:
Got no Balls? Play archer. Got no sex? Play horse archer.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2012, 10:28:04 pm »
+7
What?

You can say lots of things about the different classes.
As someone who plays them all, is a pretty good melee duelist, and my main is currently an archer for nearly three months...

Archery is lots of things, but it isn't hard. You can hype it up all you want, but it really is just point and click and easy kills. Melee combat is soo much harder and more intricate -- However with that said, to get kills you only have to be better than who you are going AGAINST to get kills. So since most people aren't good, you'll get tons of kills easily, but still not as easily as archery.

And cav picks all their battles due to maneuver and speed, so a smart player can get 20-1 easier on cav, than that same player could as archer or melee. With the new valour system, smart cav have an advantage due to the ability to rack up tons of points by picking fights and dishing out damage safely.
(click to show/hide)
But cav aren't really that OP either. A single slip up in attention will get you dehorsed and killed. It is simply a Different skill-set.

The game is balanced right now. The only issue is there has been a shift in the METAGAME. There are more archers and cav now, which means we need more shielders, hoplites, etc. it'll balance itself out back to a different % of player base being different things.
This is not an issue with balance. This is an issue of What do YOU want to see the battle be? Be it.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 10:31:27 pm by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Renegat

• Baron
  • Renown: 105
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2012, 10:31:19 pm »
PPS: Renegat: Really? Archery not nerfed? That has to be... the first patch since the last 20 that it has not been nerfed in any way. Get real.

lol yes, they have been so much nerfed that their number increased (or at least remains stable) ... Stop repeating ranged propaganda