Author Topic: Stop this pike madness!!  (Read 5279 times)

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
Re: Stop this pike madness!!
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 09:43:00 pm »
pretty sure if im half a foot away from someones face they shouldn't be able to gut stab me with a pike.....

You are right. That's why you can't stab people directly in front of you with a pike. The weapon has no "hitbox" there (?).
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Ragnar

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Angron; Primarch of the World Eaters
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 09:48:24 pm »
You are right. That's why you can't stab people directly in front of you with a pike. The weapon has no "hitbox" there (?).

that was sarcasm, both the longspear and pike for some reason can haft stab at that range for full dmg, maybe not anymore on battle? but on siege has always been like that
"Yes, they were eaters of cities, but we, lord, shall be eaters of worlds."

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 10:39:15 pm »
pretty sure if im half a foot away from someones face they shouldn't be able to gut stab me with a pike.....

seems like ppl just accept ridiculous things we've had all along in place of arguing over new shit

pretty sure if I stab your face the weapon at your waist shouldn't be able to block it.....

seems like ppl just accept ridiculous things we've had all along in place of arguing over new shit

Offline Ragnar

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Angron; Primarch of the World Eaters
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 11:11:25 pm »
pretty sure if I stab your face the weapon at your waist shouldn't be able to block it.....

that has to do with the animation you silly cunt, did you even read the issue? down block for thrusts fine, you really think if your up against someone you should be able to hit with the tip of a weapon thats about 6 feet away, behind your target
"Yes, they were eaters of cities, but we, lord, shall be eaters of worlds."

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 11:30:14 pm »
Can you imagine Craftybadger being pretty much the only one who was a pure piker (longspear) over a year back? Back then it was way faster, sheathable, had fast turnrate, had floorstabbing, more damage, had an overhead and wasn't unbalanced. Yet I looked at him piking and I thought, wow that is amazingly hard to pull off. How can the longspear be way more popular now while being so much more shit? Metagame is a strange thing.

Oh they are pretty well balanced now.

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 12:55:17 am »
that was sarcasm, both the longspear and pike for some reason can haft stab at that range for full dmg, maybe not anymore on battle? but on siege has always been like that

Incorrect, the longspear can do this, the pike cannot. It literally has no hitbox until about 4 feet away from the user, which is why it can stab through people.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 02:47:52 am »
+1
that has to do with the animation you silly cunt, did you even read the issue? down block for thrusts fine, you really think if your up against someone you should be able to hit with the tip of a weapon thats about 6 feet away, behind your target

So you being close to the model of the longspear/pike and still getting hit by the shaft of it has nothing to do with the animation. Block down, grow up, and get a life. Pikes and long spears have one attack direction, if you they trouble so much go play an easier game or grab a shield.

Also, Zerran is correct. Easy tactic i've done with Relit while using a Pike is hump my teammates back and stab clearly through his body at the guy he is fighting.

Offline Lech

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 08:14:14 pm »
If they block me when I do this, I'll be vulnerable for almost a full second because of the extreme thrust-stun the slow weapons have.

All weapon have insane thrust stuns. It's more visible when you have just one or two direction, but as 1h i died so many times because i stunned myself or glanced.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 09:29:33 pm »
All weapon have insane thrust stuns.
Not 2h, just sayin'.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Lech

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2012, 09:56:12 pm »

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2012, 10:09:24 pm »
Duration of the thrust stun is dependent on weapon speed. You can mostly recover from the thrust stun to even block chambers as a 1h.

Offline Tore

• Item Manager
  • Renown: 882
  • Infamy: 329
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2012, 10:15:34 pm »
- Pikes are three slot weapons
- Pikes are not sheathable (= no shield possible)
- Pikes have only one attack direction
- Pikes got affected the most by the turn speed nerf
- Pikes are unbalanced
- Pikes have the lowest speed ingame, except of a few crushthrough weapons
- Pikes are more dependant on other players than any other class ingame (this point counts at least ten times more than any other)
- Pikes do have the greatsword stab values, which are absolutely mediocre. Compare with other polearms. I don't see the point in your comparison.
- Pikes glance in at least half of all cases
- Pikes do NOT do a ton of damage (look above, the greatsword vs. pike point), unless the player is a strength crutcher. In this case, any weapon will cause severe damage.
- Pikes are unusable in narrow spaces or on slopes like hills. Thank god hills are so rare on maps  :rolleyes:

I encourage you to create a STF character and try playing pike yourself. You will cry rivers. Going to a battle equipped with a pike or equipped with a wienerwurst should be about the same fun. Perhaps the wiener is even to prefer, because it won't hurt that much when your enemies shove it up your ass.

This. Pike/Longspear should actualy be buffed a bit imo..

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2012, 12:42:50 am »
+3
Same goes for longspears.

Their thrust damage is the same as danish/german gs, combined with the high speedbonus those weapons get for being so slow the damage is just too much, not to mention the new polearm stab and their reach. All together, pikes and longspears have become one of the best melee weapons in game. Those weapons are meant to be used as support weapons in melee fight or as anti-cav weapons, not some 1hitting monsters.

So i came up with one solutions that might return those clumsy poles back to their place, while they still could remain usefull as support/anti-cav weapons.

Firstly, nerf their damage to ground!  :twisted:  I'd start with -4 to their damage for starters, then see how things go. Damage nerf simply to reduce the killing power of these things. Pikes can still be used in melee fights to force the enemy to hold his downblock or risk getting hit and stunned, but they no longer take 70% of your hp in 1 hit.
Now ofc, pikes and longspears would become even more useless against cav. So some changes need to be made so they can kill horses once again. And my solution will bring the wrath of all cav players down upon me, but I'm ready to take that burden for myself to carry  :wink: :

When a horse is forced to rear (stand up on it's hindlegs) by a polearm's thrust or the horse running into a wall, the horse will take damage. The amount of damage done should ofc depend on the horses speed. Not sure how much damage would be reasonable, since adding something like would probably change the way cavalry needs to be played. But something like this would be bring an interesting change towards a morealistic battlefield (no more players riding into walls when couching others), and the change would probably be just as big as the weapon slot system  :wink:
I'm not if this is possible to do, since I'm no modder. But as a thought it sounds nice to me.

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Lech

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2012, 03:47:26 pm »
Duration of the thrust stun is dependent on weapon speed. You can mostly recover from the thrust stun to even block chambers as a 1h.

You aren't stunned after chambers at all if you didn't noticed it yet.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2012, 04:10:31 pm »
Can you imagine Craftybadger being pretty much the only one who was a pure piker (longspear) over a year back?
wat