Author Topic: Dark souls: Prepare to Die edition  (Read 63996 times)

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
Re: Dark souls: Prepare to Die edition
« Reply #495 on: April 14, 2013, 06:20:03 pm »
+6
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 14, 2013, 11:47:01 pm »
If PC is actually considered lead platform then I'd expect proper control over movement, I want my character to strafe left when I press A, not to turn left and run. Aside from many other ridiculous problems that's one of the reasons I didn't bother with original DS, dumb controls meant for a thumbstick.
Mods compatible with cRPG. New crosshairs, textures, sounds, yay.

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #497 on: April 15, 2013, 12:13:59 am »
If PC is actually considered lead platform then I'd expect proper control over movement, I want my character to strafe left when I press A, not to turn left and run. Aside from many other ridiculous problems that's one of the reasons I didn't bother with original DS, dumb controls meant for a thumbstick.

The controls on Dark Souls are perfect, nothing wrong with the movement.

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 15, 2013, 12:47:28 am »
You can't strafe. Like I said, movement structure meant for a thumbtstick is unacceptable in the environment where you have 8 possible movement directions and the system is meant for fluid 360 control. That's to begin with. Mouse control is horrible, what does it tell about devs if some random guy on the internet makes a fix for their game that makes mouse even usable.

Dark Souls has probably the worst controls I have ever seen in a PC game.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 01:53:10 pm by Tot. »

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #499 on: April 15, 2013, 02:36:21 am »
You can't strafe. Like I said, movement structure meant for a thumbtstick is unacceptable in the enviroment where you have 8 possible movement directions and the system is meant for fluid 360 control. That's to begin with. Mouse control is horrible, what does it tell about devs if some random guy on the internet makes a fix for their game that makes mouse even usable.

It was a port ONLY made because of a petition that got 1 million signatures. They ONLY did it because of that, it was not even meant to be on the PC. They even admitted it won't be great as it's there first time ever porting to PC and that they only had a limited time frame to do so what can you possibly expect?

Dark Souls 2 is going to be PC as the lead platform so if you still hate the controls then when they're properly implemented then you can hate, otherwise Dark Souls IS meant to be played with a controller but from what I hear the DSMouse and Keyboard fix works fine.

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: April 15, 2013, 03:33:05 am »
+5

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 15, 2013, 04:21:36 am »
I'm interested in getting involved in some PvP, whats the best way to go about this? I don't even know where to start.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 04:28:07 am by SeQuel »

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 15, 2013, 05:48:27 am »
I'm interested in getting involved in some PvP, whats the best way to go about this? I don't even know where to start.

Standard PVP level is anywhere from 100 to 120, but that's primarily for duels. If you want invasions instead, like darkwraiths, aim for SL 30 to 60 and invade in the Depths, Sen's Fortress, Anor Londo, etc. If you wanna be a real ass ravager make a SL 12 (Highest level than can still invade all other characters of all levels) and invade the Undead Burg.

PVP builds themselves are a lot different than PVE builds. It's easy to get by in PVE without much health, but base vitality is asking to get rocked on a PVP character (Unless you're a Perma-Power-Within build, in which case whoever gets hit first gets rocked). And that's just one example. Other factors include DPS (you have to have a enough to be able to trade hits with the guy you're fighting unless you're a badass), roll speed (Ninja flips are the best, but midrolls and fatrolls are really good against dark magic) and for those with less time on their hands (like me :P)- how quickly and easily one can make the build. To expand on that point, starting a cleric and getting the Astora's Straight Sword right off the bat as well as the red eyes under the Firelink elevator make for some pretty quick and fun Burg invasions.

The quickest and easiest way to get into some really fast PVP is to join the forest covenant and try not to die. There are lots of level 700s there that are really easy to kill (because they're really bad). Often times some other PVPing dude will show up and kill them for you mid-invasion for an easy 800k+ souls. Probably the best way to level up a character early game, lol.

Here's a half decent SL 30 build I just whipped up that you can start building if you want:
http://mmdks.com/1w09

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 15, 2013, 07:31:14 am »
How does the Forest Covenant work anyways?

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #504 on: April 15, 2013, 02:31:18 pm »
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: April 15, 2013, 02:51:09 pm »
If you want to host. Go to Anor Londo, kill Gwynevere, and you will get lots of invasions at prime time. One time I got invaded by around 6 guys in less than 10 minutes

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 15, 2013, 03:33:10 pm »
It was a port ONLY made because of a petition that got 1 million signatures. They ONLY did it because of that

More like they smelled easy monies and decided it's not worth to bother with a proper port. PC players are idiots and will buy anything when there's hype.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 03:37:08 pm by Tot. »

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 15, 2013, 04:17:33 pm »
More like they smelled easy monies and decided it's not worth to bother with a proper port. PC players are idiots and will buy anything when there's hype.

the reason for the hype on PC was because of the DLC. If it wasn't for the DLC and they just did a pure port with no extra content, the PC version would no doubt have sold less.

Offline Polobow

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoA
« Reply #508 on: April 15, 2013, 05:32:11 pm »
+1
You can't strafe. Like I said, movement structure meant for a thumbtstick is unacceptable in the environment where you have 8 possible movement directions and the system is meant for fluid 360 control. That's to begin with. Mouse control is horrible, what does it tell about devs if some random guy on the internet makes a fix for their game that makes mouse even usable.

You can strafe if you are locked on a enemy. It is unnecessary to strafe when there are no enemies close by (or you WANT to move sideways, to get a better chance to hit enemies).

The devs indeed did a bad job on the port, but so what? It got fixed by some guy. The fact alone that devs ported it was good enough for me. I played it on PC, had loads of fun and is in my top 5 games ever played. You are really missing an experience here.
If you hate the port, why not just buy it for PS3/Xbox360?

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 15, 2013, 06:31:59 pm »
You can strafe if you are locked on a enemy. It is unnecessary to strafe when there are no enemies close by (or you WANT to move sideways, to get a better chance to hit enemies).

It's about having a control system that relies on PC peripherals (mouse) to reliably control the character, not about ability to strafe in general. You can't reliably control the guy when you have keyboard 0-1 controls taking over a system that was meant for a fluid thumbstick input.

The devs indeed did a bad job on the port, but so what? It got fixed by some guy.

It's not fixed at all. Mouse controls are terribad, still barely usable. Not to mention the rest of the interface and tooltips telling me to "press A" to do something.

The fact alone that devs ported it was good enough for me.

The fact how they ported it and how much of an insult and obvious cashgrab this is is enough for me to never even consider buying anything made by Namco.

I played it on PC, had loads of fun and is in my top 5 games ever played. You are really missing an experience here.

I played it. Got to Undead Parish, died on the way on numerous occasions in combat when I couldn't control my guy properly (stupid target locking system), when didn't metagame to know about scripted bullshit with no way to see it coming beforehand (wyvern), got roflstomped numerous times due to not going where the game wants me to go (giving you free hand in exploration and throwing in stuff that kills you in one hit everywhere but where you're meant to go) and actually fell off a cliff/bridge couple of times because mouse negative acceleration decided to kick in while I tried to turn slightly and did a 720 instead.

If all that wasn't enough there's of course also the checkpoint system which forces you to replay the filler part of the content over and over again by respawning all mobs. No thanks, got better things to do than grinding in a singleplayer game, although the world, atmosphere and story seems to be really interesting, shame gameplay sucks so badly.

Music is also quite ear-grabbing.

If you hate the port, why not just buy it for PS3/Xbox360?

You mean to buy a console to play one game? Really?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 06:42:32 pm by Tot. »