Author Topic: Archery  (Read 3345 times)

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
  • Renown: 1023
  • Infamy: 306
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Hermann_von_Krems
Re: Archery
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2012, 12:36:06 pm »
Never said we had teamplay. But I want it

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2012, 12:41:10 pm »
The "Teamplay" you're talking about is just ganking. There is no "teamplay" in cRPG.

Ganking is by definition "people in the same team attacking the same player."
Teamplay is "people in the same team playing together"

Counter example :
Team of three ranges
Range A focused any cav from North, to West to South, coming too close.
Range B focused any cav from North, to East to South, coming too close.
Range C focuses melees.

Of course, for melee, teamplay is usually ganking. But it's needed, since game has become slow thanks to most of the players having learned how to block.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2012, 01:02:53 pm »
Shooting the same target, hitting the same target isn't teamplay by my definition. Teamplay is not achievable in cRPG.

In my book teamplay means that there has to be a certain mix of "classes" using their strength to achieve a certain goal. The only goal in cRPG is to kill as many as possible.
The only difference are strat battles where shielder have to block arrows from shooting the builder... just as an example.

The only thing I can imagine as teamplay in battle/siege is the shielder blocking arrows from the reloading xbowman. Other than that? And even that is a rather rare sight.

Don't get me wrong, I am not blaming anyone. It's just the whole game doesn't need teamplay at all. Archers shoot their best opportunity for a hit, piker will try to get a horse, xbowmen will try to aim for the head and probably on rather long distance, 2h will try to get on the outside of a clusterfuck, polearms will try to stay on distance and so on. Everyone is just playing their weapons. But teamplay? Not really. The gamemechanics, winning conditions and playerbase aren't made for real teamplay.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2012, 01:13:44 pm »
+1
To a certain degree there is teamplay. And pretty easy to be done if people would stop being one man armies. You've already started with shield protecting xbow.

I currently play polearm. I try to support shielders with longspear, have attack readied to make pressure on opponents while shield tanks him. I'd say thats teamplay, on a very small scale though.
Longspear protecting an archer on a rather open map, did that too often, works great.
Archer shooting into melee, if the melee guy is aware of that and acts accordingly - teamplay.
Tactical horsebumping to help an archer run away from melee guys or to give his melee ally a free hit on a grounded enemy - teamplay.

Now this happens from time to time, often just by chance and then its called "killstealing". But if you already start the round knowing that you have support from certain allies would also change the playstyle.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2012, 01:29:48 pm »
Yea, shielder protecting xbowman was just one example.

If I see a horse coming to the enemy in front if me I try to change the angle in a way the enemy is facing his back to my cav guy. When I see an archer aiming at my enemy, again, I try to change the angle, try to time my attack with the reload of the archer.
We all know those kind of situations and yes, that is teamplay but that is the only teamplay happening and in 90% it's just by accident and happens once a week.

I'd love to see this kind of behaviour more often but you would need a smart inf, a smart archer and a smart cav for it to work and the smart-part is exactly the point I have high doubts when it comes to this community.
Atm the inf want the kill badly, the archer wants the kill badly and so does the cav too. Ends in teamwounding, ragepolling and cursing like a truck driver. That is the cRPG-reality.

The fact that actually everyone can easily kill as solo-hero isn't really helpful either. One of the reasons I hate the idea of making the game faster and that way even "harder" for "normal" players and better for all those elitist-2h-hero-wankers...
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2012, 02:10:43 pm »
I'd love to see this kind of behaviour more often but you would need a smart inf, a smart archer and a smart cav for it to work and the smart-part is exactly the point I have high doubts when it comes to this community.
Atm the inf want the kill badly, the archer wants the kill badly and so does the cav too. Ends in teamwounding, ragepolling and cursing like a truck driver. That is the cRPG-reality.

Well that pretty much sums up this game... at the moment. I hope that it will become super-awesome after some major changes... We'll have to trust chadz on this  :mrgreen:

Also chadz, häng dich rein, wir zähln auf dich  :D

Offline Pejlaen

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Pejlaen
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2012, 05:14:20 pm »
I got horseBUMPed today
skilled individuals, putting them together can create a very deadly and effective team.

The bow, it represents, that a skilled archer can pick a mighty man at arms off from a distance.

Offline Sultan Eren

• Count
  • Renown: 217
  • Infamy: 113
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
  • Game nicks: Sultan Eren
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2012, 06:06:15 pm »
+2
I like that formation buff thing for all classes. +1
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Stormcrow

• Knight
  • Renown: 61
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player
  • The spirit is willing, but the body is weak
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Stormcrow, Ragnarok
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2012, 07:47:55 pm »
+2
archery doesnt need a buff in anyway. It is fine the way it is

You can top the score board if you're good and if you suck then you deserve to be at the bottom

end of story
Gen 19 lvl34 archer

Offline OssumPawesome

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2012, 08:47:39 pm »
I think archer volleys would be sweet, but there are several problems.  First of all - op's suggestions are not at all practical.  Also a key part of crpg is having different weapons and classes - meaning different damage and firing speed.  I think maybe the best and easiest solution to this would be some chat command to form archer firing line.

On that note chat commands are way messed up.  Some of the letters even overlap - I am attacking their equipment and I am attacking the right flank are both mapped to e so you can only attack equipment and never the right flank =(.

Offline JennaHaze

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 147
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: 2Bach
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2012, 08:49:48 pm »
Why dont 2handers get berserk bonus when they stand close?

Offline OpenPalm

• Baron
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 18
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Thes
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2012, 09:18:14 pm »
Archers get an implicit buff by being in formations already.  Would you want to try and take a flag that had a hallway leading to it, and 4 archers on the other side without a shield?
Quote from: Smoothrich
Racism against our chinese gold grinding brothers.

Offline Froto_the_Loc

• Count
  • Renown: 252
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • CRaPGame
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Locia
  • Game nicks: Froto_the_loc
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2012, 10:46:47 pm »
+2
I could totally see archer formation, and cavalry formations added.
Hooray for customization and hybridization!
Down with monotonous pure classes!

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2012, 11:19:53 pm »
+1
Archers get an implicit buff by being in formations already.
Not exactly. It is 50% base damage for strat +10% per adjacent archer to a max of 100%, so it is like they have a nerf if they don't stand in formations.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline haxKingdom

• Knight
  • Renown: 27
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2012, 01:49:20 am »
they should remove the impact having a shield on ur back does for 2hs to defend against archers