Author Topic: Archery  (Read 3349 times)

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
Re: Archery
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 05:04:03 pm »
And what about throwing which got to low accuracy to reliably headshot?
OP is "Archery" not "throwing shit around for lulz".

I used to love throwing, loved my MW War Darts, probably the first one on the server. But let's be honest, throwing always was a joke compared to everything else and that won't change. It's not loved by devs and because of that it will stay just "for lulz".
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Pejlaen

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Pejlaen
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 06:08:05 pm »
Easy to learn - hard to master?

Make body shots the same minor damage as limb hits and boost head damage even further.

(click to show/hide)

If you have just recently started playing as an archer, standing in line with other archers and accomplishing a common goal seem to be something realisticly obtainable if you ask me. That way, there is always a place for you to be effective for your team, you do not have to be an hardcore/top noch archer that jumps out of the way of cav while headshotting them to be effective for your team.

The one thing I can think of on how to make it more easy to learn - hard to master is to improve the hitboxes. A plate wearer should have very good protection from arrows that is not specifically designed to bring him down. It should take skilled or lucky shooting to hit the weaknesses of his armor and take him down.
Easy to learn: Being an average archer with average shooting skills, being able to kill enemies wearing low or medium armor, and staying back in the archer ranks firing volleys.
Hard to master: Having the ability to shoot and wound/kill any enemy and also being effective on your own outside the Volley zone.

Also, if there were a certain stationary zone for the archers to get the benefits, I doubt that the melee fighters that wish to engage in melee with the enemies melee units will have the same interference of ranged into their duels/fights since there wont be as many stray arrows flying from every directions.

skilled individuals, putting them together can create a very deadly and effective team.

The bow, it represents, that a skilled archer can pick a mighty man at arms off from a distance.

Offline Shadowren

• Count
  • Renown: 255
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player
  • It isnt sufficient that I succeed-others must fail
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Shadowren_ATS
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 06:16:41 pm »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I play with a sniper :D ( if you don't like being an Archer you can always try crossbowmen )
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Away with you, vile beggar.

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 06:19:09 pm »
Hmm, so it would buff standing together, but would it nerf anything with current archery?
Pock gobblers

Offline Pejlaen

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Pejlaen
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 07:45:01 pm »
Hmm, so it would buff standing together, but would it nerf anything with current archery?

I dont think so, the way I feel is that it would reward dedicated archers that puts time into training
skilled individuals, putting them together can create a very deadly and effective team.

The bow, it represents, that a skilled archer can pick a mighty man at arms off from a distance.

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, 08:00:03 pm »
My problem is that there either too many archers or they are dealing too much damage. Giving them an opportunity to even multiply their damage with some aoe-buff doesnt appeal to me.

Currently I have 18 strength and 6 IF, wearing a Mongol Armor +2. After being hint 2 times to the body I am dead or so low on hp that a sneeze by someone could kill me. Take the hilarious shooting speed of archers into account and you might understand my frustration with 20+ ranged on EU1 regularly.
And it's not just me or some 2h-heroes complaining. There is a common "dislike" on the server for the amount of ranged. Not necessarily the kiting, the reload speed or the damage. The problem is the amount of them.
No surprise that people start to play siege more often or even start to roll archer/crossbowmen and shoot back. EU1 barely reaches the 100+ playercount anymore. I remember times when I had to ask a teammate on the server to make the admin kick specs so I could join. Hell, Franky got banned 48h for excessive spectating with the reason that "he is denying others to play". Now we have a shiny 200 slot server which has as much players as NA1 at times it used to crowded before.

So in short: Yes to everything that gives archers a harder time as now and if it leads to a decrease in archer population. No to everything that would make it even slightly "cool" to play and attract even more.

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 01:29:33 am »
+3
I hate to say it but the solution is for people to stop this optimized build madness. It is time for 2H to carry shields again.

It hasn't happened for a long time but 1H being the most powerful class has got to start pulling its weight again.
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Winterly

• Count
  • Renown: 230
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • I play with Quiet Mode On.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2012, 02:53:03 am »
+1
I don't even play archer and I hate archers as a cav player but I like this idea of cooperation so much that I'll support it....

-How about for every 1 archer next to each other, add 2-3 effective WPF?
         So a line of 5 archers will grant an extra 10-15 WPF which translate to 1.5% dmg increase + accuracy bonus for all archers in the line
Winterly's Stuff(selling Courser/buying head and foot armor)
I love how most EU players insert an imaginary "f" into my name: Winterfly.
"Life is kind of like peeing into the snow in a dark winter night, you probably made a difference, but it's really hard to tell" - Joe Wong

Offline owens

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2012, 03:33:08 am »
That was one great thing about NW having certain classes near you was an advantage eyeglasses gave nearbye infantry better accuracy for instance, drummers reload speed. These are useless classes in actual combat but i think adding some special items/area effects to cRPG couldnt hurt.

Especially since the bonus's are not worth the sacrifice of a soldier uneless the benefiting group is massive.
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Torost

• Count
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 109
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2012, 04:15:30 am »
I always wanted a mechanic that was more intuitive, aim and draw bow and the same time, the longer you hold in the LMB the more force you use on the bowstring. Release LMB = releasing the arrow. Instantly. Arch and missilespeed calculated from angle and force.
This is possibly too hard to implement in crpg.

A variation is: slower missile speed, making it arch much earlier.
Anything above closerange would be indirect fire. Volleys. Higher rate of fire would make for a rain of arrows if 5-6 archers teamed up, leave the sniping to the crossbows.

Putting the Arch back in Archery! :)

Offline owens

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2012, 04:53:02 am »
Forcing in team play is not fair. Stick to positive reinforcement
PK is back

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
  • Renown: 1023
  • Infamy: 306
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Hermann_von_Krems
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2012, 11:05:28 am »
Adding factors that reward teamplay is what we need. At the moment Battle rather feels like deathmatch.

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2012, 12:10:19 pm »
Adding factors that reward teamplay is what we need. At the moment Battle rather feels like deathmatch.
It actually has never been different. Just because 8 players (mostly 2h/pole) maraud over the map sticking together doesn't mean they are teamplaying.

Offline bredeus

• Earl
  • Renown: 392
  • Infamy: 85
  • there must be Peace
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templars since 1096 AD
  • Game nicks: Templar_Brede
  • IRC nick: Brede
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2012, 12:17:11 pm »
Some people and clans are always trying to fight as a team and sometimes it can make the difference.

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2012, 12:28:40 pm »
The "Teamplay" you're talking about is just ganking. There is no "teamplay" in cRPG.