Author Topic: Mod is choppy  (Read 2370 times)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Mod is choppy
« on: August 11, 2012, 05:36:45 pm »
+34
choppy = dead

Compare duelling on Native to duelling on cRPG. There is an enormous difference in smoothness even though I am running both with 123 fps consistently, maybe this is just me but I doubt it. Ofcourse Native duelling has its own problems, but as far as smoothness goes it definitely beats cRPG. Everything in cRPG feels really dodgy and unresponsive.

Gameplay smoothness should be high priority, cause the gameplay is probably why most of us are still here. Maybe all these added scripts and whatever it is the devs do under the hood is making the base gameplay less stable and smooth? If it was up to me I would rather play duel without points for example than sluggish duel with points.

Then there is another issue I have. Animations do not always fully match the hits they do. I mean that you get hit before or after you see the enemy hitting you. This happens to all kinds of attacks, but I can mostly blame this on lagging or server hiccups. Stabs though, in whatever form they come, seem to do this a lot since the new stab hit detection thingy. It hits you early, very early. Try to chamber a 2h exactly when you see your weapon hitting the incoming 2h. This used to be rather easy and reliable, now its kind of a gamble, cause you can't really trust the visual cue anymore.

Guess my main goal with this thread is to ask the devs to not forget the gameplay we all love and that they should make sure it works smoothly above any semi-useless stuff, cause it is a rather vital part to my and I hope other's enjoyment of the game.

Offline gazda

• Earl
  • Renown: 483
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • Its almost harvesting season.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Saracens
  • Game nicks: Gazda_the_Swine
  • IRC nick: gazda
Re: Mod is choppy
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 05:43:27 pm »
+1
only difference i can notice is that everything is faster in native (which doesnt mean smoother)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline _GTX_

• I <3 Shemaforash
  • Duke
  • Renown: 535
  • Infamy: 960
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • O===((:::::::::::::::>
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmarunionen
  • Game nicks: GTX
  • IRC nick: GTX
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 05:46:11 pm »
+1
(click to show/hide)

I see alot of people chambering my stabs, even when i delay em.

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 06:30:55 pm »
+4
I agree Teeth, especially lately...feels choppy and things get slightly "sticky" or "stuck" here and there.  Also, sometimes get hit before I see the swing come....it often now feels like im playing with 100+ ping but im at 50 (which my ping before the last patch was like 42, not sure what happened).

Not sure what is causing this.
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • Renown: 672
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Rhekimos
  • IRC nick: Rhekimos
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 06:35:02 pm »
+1
+1, this is definitely something worth paying attention to.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 07:23:45 pm »
just testet and confirmed, native duel feels a lot smoother (hate it still).

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 08:08:56 pm »
+1
I've noticed it on battle and siege also.  It's kind of a stickiness, when you stab someone, you think you missed but then the result comes a half second later.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 08:29:20 pm »
+1
Definitely, been thinking alot about this lately and I'm glad others feel the same way, I have been quite afraid that my favourite module would change too much of the gameplay I have fallen in love with in the MB series by attempting to add too much polish to core mechanics.

Perhaps it is due to the new turn rate, decreased hitbox size for overheads and stabs (or whatever was changed here besides the 2h animation, feels like the hitboxes have become smaller..), or perhaps the new armor bouncing. Mostly I think it is due to the turning rate, as I remember the same restricted feeling back when TW tried it in beta.

I understand for balance's sake many of these changes but to be frank it has (to me at least) slightly decreased the overall fun which is the fluidness and general responsiveness of combat. Not saying it was perfect before, and was undoubtedly less 'natural' (though I hesitate to use that that word in a gaming context I hope you know what I mean), but an attack like the stab has really become odd and I don't think it's just because I recently retired because I played with it a good while before that; sometimes it connects too early or too late (despite good ping and fps) and other times you aim right at an opponent and it just doesn't connect or it glances off strangely. Perhaps these things have just been taken a tad too far in what is otherwise the right direction.

Offline Gricks

• Knight
  • Renown: 58
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 08:36:01 pm »
Probably has something to do with the widespread ping increase since the last few server patches. Getting ~20 ping higher on official servers last few weeks, and I've done everything on my end to fix the problem.

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 08:40:03 pm »
I've noticed it as well. It's quite fine when you're in battle and the primary method of engagement is not dueling, but rather sneaky hits and ganks. However, when I am in a 1v1 situation, I find that I cannot fight as effectively as I could previously. It just feels...off, I guess. I've had 40-50 ping ever since I've started playing the mod, and my ping has not increased once. I'm also not an authority or and expert on anything in cRPG, so I could not begin to tell anyone what exactly is wrong. It just feels off.

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Torost

• Count
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 109
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 08:45:27 pm »
I use the visual stagger as confirmation of hit when I play my archer.nosound.
It seems abit off, on longshots im thinking damn I missed that.. and 1 sec later.. hey someone else hit him.....no I hit him.. hmmmm

I might be wrong in this, just feels something is off..

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 10:39:11 pm »
+2
I have to agree here.

It sound like generic whining but it really gets worse every patch. Especially archery feel absolutey off for me.

At first I thought it wouldnt last long but as far as I remember this is going on for months now. Some time ago bugs occured just every now and then, but now it seems the occurence of bugs determine the outcome of a fight more every day. I log into a game just to shoot though people, getting killed through a block, walking through other players who then kill from "inside", even fall through solid objects lately, getting hit half a second before the swing animation shows up (if it even shows up at all), get hit by attacks which are definitly not in range and so on.

I know that devs working on this mod is a service, not a right. But wouldnt it be lovely to get the existing things to work before adding new stuff ?

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 11:21:50 pm »
Huh, was afraid this "off" feeling was just me....glad its not.
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline LastKaze

• Baron
  • Renown: 126
  • Infamy: 38
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: LastKaze
  • IRC nick: LastKaze
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 11:22:14 pm »
Choppy, and the hitboxes need reanimating.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 11:44:32 pm »
Only thing that gets me is when animations randomly speed up. It's been like that for a long time now, so I'm not sure if that's the same thing.