Author Topic: Pew! Pew! Pew!  (Read 16792 times)

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
Re: Pew! Pew! Pew!
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2011, 10:59:06 pm »
All i'm saying is that the whole "ghosting" remark was about the silliest thing i've read thus far.
It stands to reason that ghosting is going to benefit shooters; they're the ones who get sneaked up on most. So many people are on TS (or some variant) now that you can never sneak up on anyone (notice how there are a lot fewer ninjas, because ghost cheating has destroyed their whole raison d'être) and the elimination of this risk can only encourage more people to take up shooting.
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2011, 11:31:17 pm »
I doubt people are ghosting as much as you make it sound; if anything I could see ghosting be more prevalent with a small group of people (you friend dies so he ghosts you, but probably not some huge clan orchestrated ghosting).

Anyway back on topic, I heard that one of the EU servers had some statistics showing who kills who with what weapons, and in the past melee vastly outnumbered range kills by a large number.  It would be interesting to see if those stats have changed somewhat or if they're still relatively similar.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2011, 11:34:11 pm »
Anyway back on topic, I heard that one of the EU servers had some statistics showing who kills who with what weapons, and in the past melee vastly outnumbered range kills by a large number.  It would be interesting to see if those stats have changed somewhat or if they're still relatively similar.

I think melee still racks up more kills than ranged, but those ranged deaths worth three melee deaths, seriously.

Dying to roof-camping groups is painful. (Stupid village maps/laddder abuse.)

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Wallace

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WallaceBRD
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2011, 11:46:47 pm »
I don't think the problem in question is really archers... High damage pierce throwing that can near one shot players with maxed out armor and health is retarded... even the highest damage pierce MELEE weapons don't come close... in fact I survive couched lances more often than i do throwing lances

Offline Darkkarma

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 106
  • cRPG Player
  • Slow your roll
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: DarkKarma
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2011, 12:39:39 am »
It stands to reason that ghosting is going to benefit shooters; they're the ones who get sneaked up on most. So many people are on TS (or some variant) now that you can never sneak up on anyone (notice how there are a lot fewer ninjas, because ghost cheating has destroyed their whole raison d'être) and the elimination of this risk can only encourage more people to take up shooting.

From the perspective of one shooter  with teamspeak and full ghosting capabilities, more often than not, being warned doesn't do much good if the guy is right on you, especially when most MIC programs are about a second or two on delays. Also, considering that range used to be even more over powered pre-patch coupled with the fact that ninja gankers still ran around confidently should prove that Ghosting and range are NOT the reason we are seeing a drop off in ninja gankers(assuming there is even a significant drop off present, to which I seriously have my doubts.) Ghosting has existed for as long as there has been organized gaming and gankers have gotten along just fine. I don't but that argument for a moment,mate; sorry.
This community hurts my brains, a lot.

Offline Rhade

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: BkS_Rhade
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2011, 02:15:24 am »
I doubt people are ghosting as much as you make it sound; if anything I could see ghosting be more prevalent with a small group of people (you friend dies so he ghosts you, but probably not some huge clan orchestrated ghosting).

I guarantee you 90% of my deaths are range people who never want to engage in melee; and never have to.

It's ridiculous.

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2011, 03:22:13 am »
From the perspective of one shooter  with teamspeak and full ghosting capabilities, more often than not, being warned doesn't do much good if the guy is right on you, especially when most MIC programs are about a second or two on delays. Also, considering that range used to be even more over powered pre-patch coupled with the fact that ninja gankers still ran around confidently should prove that Ghosting and range are NOT the reason we are seeing a drop off in ninja gankers(assuming there is even a significant drop off present, to which I seriously have my doubts.) Ghosting has existed for as long as there has been organized gaming and gankers have gotten along just fine. I don't but that argument for a moment,mate; sorry.
Before the patch things were even worse I agree; you had spam archery coupled with all the 1 wpf crossbow guys. But back then, banner balance was rare so the ghosting opportunities were more limited.
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.

Offline Boss_Awesome

• Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
  • I am the Kwisatz Haderach
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade (Not the Coalition)
  • Game nicks: Boss_Awesome
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2011, 03:44:24 am »
I guarantee you 90% of my deaths are range people who never want to engage in melee; and never have to.

It's ridiculous.

You run around in plate mail and expect to be able to catch some guy in his pajamas?  Now that's rediculious.  Truth is, everyone has such a boner for strength builds, heavy armor, and the need to one shot everyone that they don't build their characters to have a chance of chasing.  Those crazy fast ninjas can catch me, they just have become pretty rare with the agi nerf.

Offline kongxinga

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Farmers
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2011, 03:58:34 am »
I think the paper horses we are forced to use is part of the problem. High tier horses can basically ignore arrows, and only worry about throwing lances, jarids and crossbows. although eventually when people retired every week (constantly getting stronger) and horses remained the same, we started having people one shotting plated chargers at generation 8. Thankfully retiring is fixed.

A few shields up armoured horses crashing into the enemies archer lines, either from the front or back, provides just the amount of cover and distraction for the rest of the team to advance, thus cutting short the missile duel. You can even die in silly ways before reaching that line, but the armoured horse is going to hurt a lot of people with charge damage, like they should, and disrupt a lot of people's aim. Not a good idea to try if enemy light cav were properly screening the lines, but the heavy cav charge did quicken up a lot of ranged duels.

Don't even think about approaching the crossbows these days the paper horses. Even the nerfed bows are going to hurt. Don't even mention the throwing situation. Dodge? You can dodge 1 or 2, but can you dodge 5+ missiles properly spaced out?

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2011, 04:11:50 am »
You can dodge 1 or 2, but can you dodge 5+ missiles properly spaced out?

Nerf teamwork.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2011, 04:20:18 am »
Ah yes, and lets not forget the plated chargers that crashed into the melee lines knocking everyone down who tried to fight and the plated horse archers. Now that was balanced, if he managed to miss his 60 arrows he could still make 20 attempts of trampling you dead before his horse went down.

Offline Rhade

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: BkS_Rhade
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2011, 04:37:45 am »
You run around in plate mail and expect to be able to catch some guy in his pajamas?  Now that's rediculious.  Truth is, everyone has such a boner for strength builds, heavy armor, and the need to one shot everyone that they don't build their characters to have a chance of chasing.  Those crazy fast ninjas can catch me, they just have become pretty rare with the agi nerf.

I actually only wear plate about 30% of the time.
Thanks.

Offline kongxinga

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Farmers
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2011, 05:46:05 am »

Got to agree with your ghosting observations. You can barely backstab clannies on teamspeak since someone will be ghosting you out on their voice chat. This is not mentioning other fun stuff such as ghosting out your location behind walls etc. A large part of many clans prowess comes from the ghosting, which is not supposed to happen (else we should be able to type chat when dead in-game). Many would like to say it iss not ghosting, but superior skill (maybe) or even superior tactics (far fetched for large majority) that makes up the abilities of a clan. but just hop on to one of the clan servers to hear the ghosting. It gets a lot worse when something is at stake ie strategus or a x5.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2011, 04:11:02 pm »

It's ridiculous.

You're also an exceptional melee player.  Most players probably die to melee the majority of the time, although I wouldn't be surprised if people like you, harmless_peasant etc have a great % of your deaths from ranged.  Still, you're probably dying a lot less than the average.

I know that when I build as an archer there are some people I simply won't be able to beat in melee due to both player skill disparity and my having 1 wpf in melee and 3 PS.  So while I'd like to think I'm slightly more manly than the average archer who runs from every melee fight I'd still rather be shooting you than swinging at you :P
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Darkkarma

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 106
  • cRPG Player
  • Slow your roll
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: DarkKarma
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2011, 07:43:35 pm »

It's ridiculous.

People in general don't melee you for the same reason they don't melee goretooth or harmless unless they have to.
This community hurts my brains, a lot.