Author Topic: Pew! Pew! Pew!  (Read 16761 times)

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
Re: Pew! Pew! Pew!
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2011, 12:45:28 am »
Dude with crossbow shoots, hides to reload, watches a 2 on 1 melee 5 feet in front of him.
Yes, happened a matter of minutes ago on EU1 in fact. There's also the problem of a team that's doing badly deciding the best option is a quick charge straight at the enemy and then there is no charge because what happens in practice is that half the infantry stop and start shooting their crossbows. The ones who have charged are ganked.
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2011, 01:57:12 am »
So people are saying range > 2h > shields
then shields = 2h

so the easy conclusion is range > all.

:mrgreen:

NERF RANGE

Offline Darkkarma

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 106
  • cRPG Player
  • Slow your roll
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: DarkKarma
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2011, 02:21:07 am »
then shields = 2h

NERF RANGE

Good one!
This community hurts my brains, a lot.

Offline Rhade

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: BkS_Rhade
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2011, 02:27:02 am »
then shields = 2h

NERF RANGE

Range isn't "OP", it's the fact I've stated many times before:

It scales exponentially better in groups than melee does. The maxiumum amount of melee players who can attack you is 4; ranged players is unlimited. In essence, once a critical mass of ranged is achieved, it doesn't necessarily matter how "good" those players are, as it's similiar to a shotgun blast; something is going to hit if they're all shooting in the same direction. This waters down the skill required to be effective, and frustrates many.

Throwing is the only thing I would say is "OP", and people having the ability to use xbows with such ease.

Throwing, imo, needs a nerf and crossbows should be like bows in the sense that you have to specialize in them to use them with any kind of efficiency. Archery is fine.

Offline Kophka

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • for the final ride
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Kophka/Koschei
  • IRC nick: Kophka
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2011, 03:04:30 am »
What exactly about throwing needs a nerf? I agree that there are some aspects of that need some changes, ie: Lances and OP Builds, but can you be specific? A blanket nerf on throwing really isn't needed,  just a reduction in the number of people throwing, imo.

Offline Darkkarma

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • Slow your roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2011, 04:36:32 am »
What exactly about throwing needs a nerf? I agree that there are some aspects of that need some changes, ie: Lances and OP Builds, but can you be specific? A blanket nerf on throwing really isn't needed,  just a reduction in the number of people throwing, imo.

Incredibly stupid accuracy while running on the move? No offense, but if Sylarus can make it work that well with her throwing, then we've got a problem. Mix that in with their ridiculous rate of fire and you have a huge fucking headache for anyone playing against them.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 04:39:48 am by Darkkarma »

Offline Rhade

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: BkS_Rhade
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2011, 05:30:17 am »

The "weakness" of throwing is in it's small ammo stacks, yet there are so many throwables littering everywhere that that weakness no longer applies.

Throwing lances are obviously ridiculously OP, as well.

Throwing axes and any throwable with a melee mode toggles way too fast. You would think that to kill a thrower, you need to close the distance and melee but they can easily switch to melee mode, exchange a few swings then just run away and keep throwing almost instantaneously. Their sheer flexibility is ridiculous, and it's extremely too easy to "stance dance" between the two modes.

Furthermore, even in full plate with 24 STR and 7 IF, I lose half my HP to a single throwable. In my mind, this isn't acceptable.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 08:23:52 am by Rhade »

Offline Boss_Awesome

• Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
  • I am the Kwisatz Haderach
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade (Not the Coalition)
  • Game nicks: Boss_Awesome
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2011, 05:58:47 am »

Offline Native_ATS

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2011, 10:38:04 am »
The "weakness" of throwing is in it's small ammo stacks, yet there are so many throwables littering everywhere that that weakness no longer applies.

Throwing lances are obviously ridiculously OP, as well.

Throwing axes and any throwable with a melee mode toggles way too fast. You would think that to kill a thrower, you need to close the distance and melee but they can easily switch to melee mode, exchange a few swings then just run away and keep throwing almost instantaneously. Their sheer flexibility is ridiculous, and it's extremely too easy to "stance dance" between the two modes.

Furthermore, even in full plate with 24 STR and 7 IF, I lose half my HP to a single throwable. In my mind, this isn't acceptable.
if you let a thrower run away you fail at the game, you should just uninstall...
throwers are the slowest people in the game. they have lower wpf then other classes, when they go into melee mode they have a shitty melee weapon, someone with skill should have np owning them...
crying about a all str build doing 50% damg to you is dumb, if i hit you with a bec i bet i would still do 50% your hp, maybe dont go all str... and be soo dependent on IF, i mean didnt u say allers was bad because he had so much hp... seems ur the same :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 10:43:19 am by Native_ATS »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2011, 11:15:58 am »
The problems with throwing are essentially their lack of realism. The reload time, accuracy, range and damage are sometimes too good, depending on the build and the throwing junk used.

But reload time is certainly the main problem for me, especially when I play my cav guy. Just taking another throwing lance from your magic pocket doesn't make much sense. Additionnaly, I think throwing weapons should see their weight increase to slow down people using the massive ones. Also, adding if possible a chance for the weapon to break and become unusable when it touches a surface. The most irritating thing with throwers is their virtually infinite ammo.

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2011, 05:29:56 pm »
Pew in action: http://www.vimeo.com/22211963
...and of course, now we have a lot of ghosting which is of greater benefit to archers and crossbows than it is to infantry or cavalry.

Offline Darkkarma

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • Slow your roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2011, 06:43:07 pm »
...and of course, now we have a lot of ghosting which is of greater benefit to archers and crossbows than it is to infantry or cavalry.

You should just stop posting. It's like every time someone makes a valid objection to ranged mechanics in the game, you come in and just throw off the curve.

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2011, 06:53:12 pm »
You should just stop posting. It's like every time someone makes a valid objection to ranged mechanics in the game, you come in and just throw off the curve.
Whatever that means, I wasn't objecting to ranged mechanics, only to there being too many people shooting and not enough fighting. That's about the character creation mechanics.

Offline Darkkarma

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • Slow your roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2011, 08:17:28 pm »
Whatever that means, I wasn't objecting to ranged mechanics, only to there being too many people shooting and not enough fighting. That's about the character creation mechanics.

All i'm saying is that the whole "ghosting" remark was about the silliest thing i've read thus far.

Offline wamken619

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Adalbuhr
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2011, 08:38:56 pm »
I really don't have too much problems with range. I'm a pretty slow two-hander/polearm user, with my shield skill at 3. What I do is keep my shield up, move from cover to cover, and/or run through the rain in a spontaneous pattern and hope for the best. Switching from my shield to the weapon I have sheathed is all about wise judgement; I somewhat learned when to switch depending on who's closer (melee or range), who's distracted, and who's not a threat (farmers/low-levels aren't my priority). Then, when I have my weapon out, I usually will face a group of melee's (3-5) with my allies (0-5); there'll be one or two rangers not too far away. My strategy at this point will be to eliminate the immediate threat, then kill the rangers. If I survive the melee (I usually do), I'll switch back to shield and go up to them (sometimes, if I'm lazy, I'll just run up to the archers). At this point, I may or may not be battered up depending on my armor/playability. Either way, the only way to die here is to get shot or get stabbed from behind (that's why it's nice to have a finger on the "~" key). I'll switch back to weapon ONLY after they've fired their last shot; if they're stalling, I'd bump them then switch. There, I will proceed with an overhead, then maybe we'd go into a duel. This would be one of my good runs, which I encounter not too often, but not rarely. After dispatching the rangers, I would go on to another fight or take down ladders if it was a siege game.

There are scenarios where I go straight for the rangers, letting my teammates fight the enemy melee. There's one time a crossbowman, one roof away from me, shot me once for over half my health. So for payback, I walked up the ladder, over the roof, knocked out two of his mooks, and gave him a bonk on the head.

I have no real complaints about cRPG and it's mechanics; I often rant about, to my brother, "Why can't there be a West Coast server?" or "Medium speed? Why not faster?", but mostly "Gawddaummut, lag!" I find rangers not to be that much of a problem (I often do get headshotted by both allies and enemies during a melee), but if I have to fight against 50+ rangers, then I'm screwed. Still, I can dodge plenty of arrows despite my sluggishness. Just deal with the problems; the world's not going to change for you (whoever's complaining about rangers), YOU have to change for the world (or learn2block, it's always my advice).

semi-TLDR: You know what we surfers here say, "Go with the flow, bro."
RL: I fuckin love shields!
IG: Omigawd, dat 2hand-bonker!