Author Topic: Is Arbalest OK?  (Read 4777 times)

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
Re: Is Arbalest OK?
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 12:57:50 pm »
Not so long as it keeps headshooting me from medium range.
inb4 you claim that's impossible with an arbalest.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2012, 02:06:56 pm »
Did I?

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 02:19:02 pm »
inb4 you claim that's impossible with an arbalest.

It's definitely possible with an arb, but with an arb you get 1 shot and then have to reload. With throwing you can just try again and again until you're out of ammo.

xbows and bows are at a very good point balance wise, throwing... not so much. It's not that it gets tons of kills or anything, it's that there's so little you can do against it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2012, 03:14:03 pm »
+2
It's definitely possible with an arb, but with an arb you get 1 shot and then have to reload. With throwing you can just try again and again until you're out of ammo.

xbows and bows are at a very good point balance wise, throwing... not so much. It's not that it gets tons of kills or anything, it's that there's so little you can do against it.
arbs got better accuracy, more damage, more ammo, flatter flying curve, and less requirements, and lawl at you claiming there is little you can do against throwing.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline korppis

• Earl
  • Renown: 404
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2012, 03:35:57 pm »
+2
And this is why I'd love to see more detailed score than just plain K/D. MW arbalest with MW bolts hurts like hell, without fully loomed gear I'd get 1 shot, but now it only takes 70-90% off my health with one bolt. It may not always give epic scores since it's slow to reload and leads to having to shoot different target next time, but it helps team a lot. But, bottom line is; you shouldn't stare at kill score too much.  :)

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2012, 03:44:16 pm »
arbs got better accuracy, more damage, more ammo, flatter flying curve, and less requirements

Agreed of course, but with arb you just have to dodge that 1 shot. Unless you have to deal with allies, they won't likely get another. With throwing they can easily get 4-5 shots before you can reach them. I'm not that bad at dodging, but chances are one of those will hit and take 40-60% of my health. I'm not trying to say throwing gets kills, but unless that thrower is absolute shit, chances are they'll take a huge chunk of health out of their opponent, regardless of what that player does.

Offline Tor!

• He's Tor!
  • Marshall
  • Renown: 739
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Tor
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2012, 03:56:27 pm »
My STF with armoury +3 arbalest and regular steel bolts had no trouble racking up kills, on average I'd say between second or third bolt fired was a kill.

[00:53] <xant> i used to play on eu_1
[00:53] <xant> then i took an arrow to the knee

Offline Nightingale

• Balancer
  • Renown: 925
  • Infamy: 205
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Elderly Woman
  • IRC nick: Nightingale
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2012, 04:07:24 pm »
+1
Arbalest is pretty well balanced  at the moment.

Throwing needs to have one thing about them changed.... That stupid little thing they do when they are being chased that Backwards jump throw...  - lack of better term

I have been using MW arbalest and MW steel bolts for quite awhile and I cant say it isn't easy to get kills. You just have to be patient which most are not able to do at all.
it is also a myth about  this weapon 1 shotting almost everything. I can survive sometimes 1 bolt given it black bars me but I survive non the less

I have a total of 37 body armor and 0 iron-flesh, so have more than that and you will be fine

In the Rain... Dont even bother bringing your arbalests unless your just spawning with them for chadz text

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2012, 04:10:46 pm »
Throwing needs to have one thing about them changed.... That stupid little thing they do when they are being chased that Backwards jump throw...  - lack of better term
The thing all ranged can do?

Offline Arrowblood

• Duke
  • Renown: 508
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Arrowblood
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2012, 04:14:51 pm »
well, its  realistic to jump and throw.

Offline Nightingale

• Balancer
  • Renown: 925
  • Infamy: 205
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Elderly Woman
  • IRC nick: Nightingale
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2012, 04:16:21 pm »
The thing all ranged can do?

You mean the one thing only throwing can do?

Yes Throwing while Jumping at your target can be realistic... Jumping away backwards is not....

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2012, 04:21:19 pm »
The point is that throwing can hit as hard as a lot of Xbows, can be held like an Xbow, and can fire faster than a bow. The two downsides, low ammo count and inaccuracy can't really be exploited by an opponent in a skillful manner in the same way the downsides of Xbows (Very long reload times) and Bows (Have to fire as soon as the bow is drawn) can. It's just luck, and that really sucks.

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2012, 05:09:09 pm »
It's just luck, and that really sucks.
While you can't headshot-aim with throwing from decent distances it's definitely not luck.

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2012, 08:23:59 pm »
While you can't headshot-aim with throwing from decent distances it's definitely not luck.

Again, they do that to me. Since Im an archer I have to stay still to aim, so yeah, it's not luck.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2012, 02:45:02 pm »
There are several dedicated arbalesters that routinely top scoreboard on NA siege. I think the key is to focus on people that have already taken damage and/or enemy archers.

Loomed arbalest also has a feature that other ranged lacks; the ability to shoot through most shields at short range. I have a +3 Heavy Round Shield and 6 shield skill, and it's not uncommon for fully loomed arbs+steel bolts to penetrate right through the middle of my shield.