Author Topic: Trading on marketplace (EU vs NA vs ASIA)  (Read 1189 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 976
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: Trading on marketplace (EU vs NA vs ASIA)
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 03:50:22 pm »
Actually if you want to make money on the marketplace, "cheaping" someone is exactly what you have to do. Are you telling me you made gold by buying heirlooms for exactly what they are worth (in your opinion) then reselling them for the exact same price (i.e, what you think they are worth)? Of course not. Just like in RL the traders and speculators provide exactly nothing of worth, no labour and no resources beyond basically fucking over their "customers". They "create" wealth out of other people's labour then tell themselves they are titans of industry, instead of the worthless leeches they are.

I meant to say, cheat :D

You know, abusing unintentional mistakes. I'm willing to revert the trade if anyone asks me few hours after it's done or maybe a day but no one ever asked.

Of course I'm "cheaping" but not much. My usual price is 60k when I want to make gold by trading equal item for an equal item.

If I ask more that's because I think that my item worths more. In my eyes, good horses and armor will always have higher value than weapons.

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 03:53:17 pm »
+1
Unless the trade was obviously a mistake (selling a +3item for 150k instead of 1,5mill), there's no need to revert a trade as the marketplace rule also wont take place.  :P
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2805
  • Infamy: 2083
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 03:56:00 pm »
Well, if someone feels that he made mistake I'll do it, regardless of that rule.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 04:09:37 pm »
+2
I once bought a heirloom point from Templar_Vincent_Ruth for 625 gold. I gave it back but only got stones in return. Vincent owes me 623 gold :evil:
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 04:25:52 pm »
I'm not a huge trader but have dabbled when I need to and have 23 loom points for 17 gens. To make a lot of money you gotta spend a lot of time watching market. But some things I've noticed...

As others said, patience. Show your cards leave out your bids and offers and eventually someone will bite. The market here is low volume with wide spreads, so if you're willing to be what on the stock exchange is called a "market maker" you will have impatient people. It's not cheating people it's just working the low and high ends of the spread. The spread is generally a 2:3 ratio of unused loom points to final loomed item + some gold throw in.

Right now people have a poor concept of value as Leshma said. You can buy loompoints for 550k, so why is anyone trying to sell items for more than 1.6 million? Still stuck in past of 6 months ago with looms at 700k... A rare but very good +3 isn't worth more than 1.55ish million, a common +3 isn't worth much more than 1.2m.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2012, 04:43:38 pm »
It's not cheating people it's just working the low and high ends of the spread.

I don't actually have as much against speculators and traders as my loathing filled words might suggest, but yeah, that's literally the definition of cheating someone. Working as the middle man you do actually provide some valuable service, such as getting the right items to the right people at the right time, the only off part being the "right" price. The only valuable part of the whole enterprise is acting as a type of escrow. You could make the case that those getting cheated are trading their money not only for the item but also for their time, but proportionally they probably only have a small fraction of the wealth of the traders getting their cut. Just because some people are idiots doesn't make fucking them over (even if they are willing participants, because they are idiots) morally just.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 04:47:30 pm by Oberyn »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1684
  • Infamy: 1443
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2012, 04:49:11 pm »
Just because some people are idiots doesn't make fucking them over (even if they are willing participants, because they are idiots) morally just.

You really believe in that?

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2012, 04:52:55 pm »

You really believe in that?

Do I believe that acting as a predator to other people, manipulating and scamming them is morally unjust? I'd say it's pretty self-evident. Unless you dress it up in social darwinian retardedness to justify it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • Renown: 454
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard, ex Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Mlekce, Sergius
  • IRC nick: Mlekce
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2012, 05:01:50 pm »
i think there is some cind of cartel here of traders who sell some stuff,and then lower the price of that item to buy it back,and sell it for more money.
take +3 mail gauntlets for example. 1 month ago that item worth almoust as 3 loompoint,but now it is like 1500k.
Ok prices went down,but others are asking 1700k for other gloves that are much worse and worth less.
First light kuyak worth shitloads of money,now it is almoust like 2 loompoints. There was short period (about one week) when everyone was buying sarranid guard armor,servers were full of ppl wearing it. Now it is so much rare to see.
If i sold kuyak 2 moths ago,i could buy back +3 kuyak and +1 item for that money now.
Rouncey was worth also a lot of money,now nobody want to buy it.
Market is so free that 4-5 ppl with 20 looms could make cartel and steal ppl looms.
Baby wolf is ruining market and getting filty rich. I don't trade because i don't want to give ppl my hardly earned looms for free.
+3 sword 1 milion gold. I would buy it,just to have it because it is so fucking cheap.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 416
  • Infamy: 1507
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2012, 05:10:51 pm »
Baby Wolf had to pay 120k+ gold today, for cancelling his auction :D

Offline 3 Tears

• Baron
  • Renown: 138
  • Infamy: 125
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2012, 05:12:39 pm »
I'm really bad at trading. I have shitty deals with jews, i've lost billions of gold and etc.
BUT only thing that make me to continue trading is Kapikulu's
That guys believe that their loom are priceless. Their requests and offers make my day.
Im really thankful to that guys, they make me laugh ---> make my life longer)))
[16:51] == Exeo [[email protected]] has joined #mount&blade-crpg
[16:52] * Exeo slaps Sekra around a bit with a large fishbot
[16:52] == Exeo [[email protected]] has quit [Signed off]

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • Renown: 454
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard, ex Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Mlekce, Sergius
  • IRC nick: Mlekce
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2012, 05:15:40 pm »
Baby Wolf had to pay 120k+ gold today, for cancelling his auction :D

nvm he bought 100 +3 gs for 1milin gold and sold ithem for 1300 or 1200k. he ownes the market now.

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2012, 05:23:02 pm »
When I want a certain item, I will put a decent chunk of gold on top so it gets accepted quicker. As infantry, its almost impossible to lose gold, so it has no value to me other then getting people to accept trades, or buying looms. I would rather have what I want then a bunch of random stuff, because it was cheap to buy or whatever.

To me, I would rather spend my time playing then scouring the market for deals. If I wanted to spend the time to play the market, I would rather do so on the stockmarket where I could make actual money.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2012, 05:29:48 pm »
I don't actually have as much against speculators and traders as my loathing filled words might suggest, but yeah, that's literally the definition of cheating someone. Working as the middle man you do actually provide some valuable service, such as getting the right items to the right people at the right time, the only off part being the "right" price. The only valuable part of the whole enterprise is acting as a type of escrow. You could make the case that those getting cheated are trading their money not only for the item but also for their time, but proportionally they probably only have a small fraction of the wealth of the traders getting their cut. Just because some people are idiots doesn't make fucking them over (even if they are willing participants, because they are idiots) morally just.

the crpg market is low volume and wide spread, this kind of market allows a patient trader lots of opportunity to arbitrage this spread. It is NOT cheating people if anything it is helping the market by creating volume and more stable prices. If this arbritrager is creating bids a +3 item at the low end of around 1.1 million and an offer at 1.5 million he is not cheating anyone who accepts these, cuz it's within the natural spread of the items. This is a very honourable form of trading and merchants/traders have been doing it for 1000s of years.

A different moral arguement could be made for more "predatory" traders who only made money by seeking out ignorant people who listed their items at liquidation prices (like a +3 for 900k) or were dummies buying at 1.8m (over the price of 3 loompoints). Taking advantage of the desperate or ignorant on the surface is less honourable than smartly arbitraging, although it's not 100% the traders' fault as the person shouldn't really be trading in the first place if they are that bad at it. As W.C. Fields said "Never give a sucker an even break" but the crpg market isn't really supposed to be a shark tank, just a community tool, which is why it was good the no exploiting entry mistakes rule was created.

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2012, 05:33:02 pm »
I lack the patience to try and game the system here. Used to play the market more in eve and wow, but then its not exactly hard there.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps