Author Topic: Ranged nerf  (Read 3181 times)

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Ranged nerf
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 08:14:13 pm »
...because a Youtube clippppp of some semi-scientific "test" for the LULZ-generation has def more weight ;-)

Has more weight than a shitty history book with for all we know no proof whatsoever. Also this game is about BALANCE not historical accuracy for fuck sake, if you want historical accuracy go do some LARP shit.

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 08:22:53 pm »
If you have a problem with archers even without a shield then you just need to l2p. Some people just never learn :(
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline Nemeth

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nemeth
  • IRC nick: Nemeth
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 08:29:17 pm »
Why would you put quotations around the word history?

Because I don't believe a proper history source would feed you that kind of crap.

Offline warpoobz

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • BAM!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Societas Draconistrarum
  • Game nicks: Dracul_Warpoobz
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 08:41:07 pm »
Because I don't believe a proper history source would feed you that kind of crap.

Because plate armor is completely invulnerable against arrow fire? No. Pick up a book, I personally recommend something about the Hundred Years' War or Why the English Had Such an Early Advantage Against Bumblefuck Tincan Cavalry

One can't argue for historical accuracies in this game because there is no set time-line, or historical model for that matter, to follow. While bows played a pivotal role in a great deal of medieval combat, eventually blacksmiths were able to discover formulas to make plate armor very resistant, as seen in the video Nemeth posted. Times change, equipment changes.

Ultimately it all comes down to reference. Could the bow pierce plate armor? Up to a certain era of time, yes; but as times and technology advanced, armor was made very powerful while the construction of the bow remained pretty much the same. It's what led to the discontinued use of the bow and the invention of guns and other pretty things that were capable of rending steel and flesh alike, while sometimes meshing the two materials into a very fun slurry.

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A friendly archer decorating your ass with arrows
    • View Profile
    • Gab.ai. Freedom of Speech matters.
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: None that you need to know of - except Hirlok the Hermit.
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 08:44:15 pm »

there is nothing like the bliss of ignorance and "belief". Go be happy with it.
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 09:10:20 pm »
Anyway. I DON'T agree with making PD requirement for xbows, unless we are going to get a buff due to higher PD... then yes... but otherwise, GTFO.

WPF repair scalling is hundreds times better.

Offline Nemeth

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nemeth
  • IRC nick: Nemeth
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 01:48:15 am »
there is nothing like the bliss of ignorance and "belief". Go be happy with it.

You are the one claiming that "In reality, at least the longbow could one-shot plated enemies at longer distance than most maps in c-rpg are long".
Just so you know, the speed and thus power of the arrow was lower with distance. That's physics. While longbows could penetrate plate at shorter range, the idea that they were one shotting plated knights 200-300 yards away from them is just ignorance on your part.

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2011, 02:30:48 am »
Yes to xbows needing skill contribution- then lower damage a little bit (-2 to 3 pierce maybe). Then make pd give them plus dmg like archery.

No to arrows thing and no to plate.
Pock gobblers

Offline Corwin

• Earl
  • Renown: 499
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Corwin_the_Lazy
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2011, 11:54:59 am »
The only nerf i think is reasonable are the 13 PD archers or whatever but else it's fine.
(limiting the PD, not nerfing all archers)
How many of them are there?
I mean, what have you got to lose? You know, you come from nothing, you're going back to nothing, what have you lost? Nothing!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2011, 03:33:04 pm »
That´s true. I have tested it with my 1h build. The buckler gets absolute no damage from arrows, and catch arrows out of the air , which should hit me. So don´t whine about archers .... get a shield ! ;-)

One thing by the way .... even if you are a 2 hand build .... get a shield , go to the archer , wait till he hits your shield , drop shield , change weapon and kill. So you don´t have the weight of the shield.
( Why do i say such things ? I play an archer too !  ^^ )

Na, it is not.
Sometimes you can catch a few arrows, but mot of the time you got hit (well, if they know how to aim).

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2011, 06:31:03 pm »
You are the one claiming that "In reality, at least the longbow could one-shot plated enemies at longer distance than most maps in c-rpg are long".
Just so you know, the speed and thus power of the arrow was lower with distance. That's physics. While longbows could penetrate plate at shorter range, the idea that they were one shotting plated knights 200-300 yards away from them is just ignorance on your part.

+1 for this one.

Longbows were a force to be reckoned with... even against plate. Nemeth's link is a valid test... however, just to play devil's advocate, there is the question of how high quality the steel was in the test. A suit of armor is useless if the steel is of poor quality. Most modern day replicas of 16th and 17th tools of war are far inferior to the originals.

That said, an English longbow could have a draw power of 200 pounds. With that much power going behind a single arrow tip, you bet your ass it could pierce plate at close range.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2011, 07:12:40 pm »
I'd like to know one thing, who said Knights = the definition of being fully plated?

Alot of knights still used mail with maybe some plate plates here and there, so you guys have to take into account that the knights killed by archery most likely wore mail, and not plate.

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2011, 08:41:18 pm »

What's that physics thingie that an arrow coming down gains speed... You know something like gravity or something I remember from kindergarden  :twisted:
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2011, 08:53:33 pm »
This is already in afaik, shooting down from tower does more damage than shooting up.

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2011, 01:46:24 pm »
What's that physics thingie that an arrow coming down gains speed... You know something like gravity or something I remember from kindergarden  :twisted:

Yes it gains speed but its still not like the power it gets from the release
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.