Author Topic: Ranged nerf  (Read 3187 times)

Offline Sultan Eren

• Count
  • Renown: 217
  • Infamy: 113
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
  • Game nicks: Sultan Eren
Ranged nerf
« on: April 05, 2011, 01:19:53 pm »
Xbows
Require powerdraw instead of str.
Hunting 0
Light 0
Crossbow 1
Heavy Crossbow 2
Sniper 3

Archery
Less arrows in one bag. Reduced by 5.

Plate Buff
Arrow damage should be less and bolt damage should be more.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
Re: Ranged nerf
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 01:32:37 pm »
Naw.

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A friendly archer decorating your ass with arrows
    • View Profile
    • Gab.ai. Freedom of Speech matters.
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: None that you need to know of - except Hirlok the Hermit.
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 02:07:25 pm »
Interesting that throwing is not mentioned, which most desperately needs a nerf in reach and damage.

Make xbows  a bit harder to use without making them less powerful: yep. If PD is the best way to go can be discussed.

Less arrows: xbows already have more ammo than we do per bag, most archers sacrifice two weapon slots to have enough ammo, and I guess we agree that archery has had its butt kicked enough.

Plate buff: sorry but that's a joke. Already almost impossible to take down plated guys with arrows (you need several of them, even at high PD, and low-level archers already have their arrows bounce when they shoot turtles). In reality, at least the longbow could one-shot plated enemies at longer distance than most maps in c-rpg are long... would love to hear the whining of the turtles if we had realistic archery in c-rpg... ;-)
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline Wulzzz

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 02:17:08 pm »
The only nerf i think is reasonable are the 13 PD archers or whatever but else it's fine.
(limiting the PD, not nerfing all archers)

The amount of arrows already got reduced last patch.
..hell.. i use melee weapon+bow and 2 slots of bodkin arrows.
I must kinda each run sneak around and collect arrows from the ground like some thrower..

BTW:

Buy a shield.
Invest 3 points and you are like jesus against ranged.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 02:24:03 pm by Wulzzz »

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 02:24:24 pm »
A nerf to archery is impossible, it would cause to much whine from the large base of archers. I say dont nerf archery but tweak armor a bit.

I find it funny that i have a full steel helmet yet the arrows dont glance off but one shot me. Kinda makes the helmet useless.
Should just go a lighter one and save speed/money.
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline Sean_Drew

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: no faction
  • Game nicks: my secret ;-) Only 4 chars now : 1h/shielder , 2h , xbower , archer. The other 25 chars are deleted.
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 02:34:34 pm »
Interesting that throwing is not mentioned, which most desperately needs a nerf in reach and damage.

That´s true.

Archery is hard enough to use ...

If you don´t like them :
1. take a shield
2. go to them and hit them hard.

Edit : Fluffy_Muffin is a little bit right too. A steel helmet should protect you , from most arrows, that are shot from the "beginner bows" ( hunting and short bow ). But a war bow/long Bow should get through too , cause real war bows penetrate plate !

Watch This : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2lbB3OMNns&feature=related ( Were a plate armor is penetrated from arrow )
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 02:59:58 pm by Sean_Drew »
Sorry , my english is bad ... ;-) I do my best :-)

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 02:45:24 pm »
I find it funny that i have a full steel helmet yet the arrows dont glance off but one shot me.

Good point. Strong bows and appropriate arrows could indeed penetrate an inch of metal and most helmets are vulnerable in the front for obvious reasons, but a certain rate of bouncing / glancing off depending on hit angle etc. would be natural.
Unfortunately I have the feeling that the M&B engine with its stupid hitboxes - opposite to some modern warfare simulations - will not be able to deliver that level of realism.

But anyways: protection with plate armor seems to be ok right now - even with PD10 and Bodkins a decent turtle survives more than 2 arrows from me and falls with the 3rd or 4th, in case I get the chance to hit them so often...

And by the way: with decent shield skill even a little steel buckler makes you almost immune to arrows and you can't shoot around it. Highly unrealistic, but nobody, incl. archers, has cried for a shield nerf so far...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 02:48:33 pm by Hirlok »
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline Sean_Drew

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: no faction
  • Game nicks: my secret ;-) Only 4 chars now : 1h/shielder , 2h , xbower , archer. The other 25 chars are deleted.
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 03:16:24 pm »
And by the way: with decent shield skill even a little steel buckler makes you almost immune to arrows and you can't shoot around it. Highly unrealistic, but nobody, incl. archers, has cried for a shield nerf so far...

That´s true. I have tested it with my 1h build. The buckler gets absolute no damage from arrows, and catch arrows out of the air , which should hit me. So don´t whine about archers .... get a shield ! ;-)

One thing by the way .... even if you are a 2 hand build .... get a shield , go to the archer , wait till he hits your shield , drop shield , change weapon and kill. So you don´t have the weight of the shield.
( Why do i say such things ? I play an archer too !  ^^ )
Sorry , my english is bad ... ;-) I do my best :-)

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 03:31:31 pm »
But a war bow/long Bow should get through too , cause real war bows penetrate plate !

Watch This : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2lbB3OMNns&feature=related ( Were a plate armor is penetrated from arrow )

Why do you support your argument with a vid that shows an arrow not piercing plate, but poking a tiny hole in it not even big enough for the entire arrow to go through? You think plate is worn on bare skin? On top of that, the guy shooting the arrow could've done it from 10 yards away.

I now present my "evidence" that arrows did not pierce plate armour (look closely, you'll see em bounce off):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCywaYlQxWE&feature=related

In reality, at least the longbow could one-shot plated enemies at longer distance than most maps in c-rpg are long... would love to hear the whining of the turtles if we had realistic archery in c-rpg... ;-)

Yeah and katana can cut through plate armour too. Ninja are invisible and you shouldn't sail the seas to their end, cuz there be dragons and stuff.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 04:40:27 pm »
Yeah and katana can cut through plate armour too. Ninja are invisible and you shouldn't sail the seas to their end, cuz there be dragons and stuff.

read a bit about archery in the history of the real world, then come back to troll if you like.

Offline Nemeth

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nemeth
  • IRC nick: Nemeth
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 04:52:26 pm »
Hirlok maybe you should spent less time reading your "history" books and do some testing or find people that did the testing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3997HZuWjk

That's just one of many videos that will show you how effective longbow was against plate.

Offline warpoobz

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • BAM!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Societas Draconistrarum
  • Game nicks: Dracul_Warpoobz
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 05:26:45 pm »
Hirlok maybe you should spent less time reading your "history" books and do some testing or find people that did the testing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3997HZuWjk

That's just one of many videos that will show you how effective longbow was against plate.

Why would you put quotations around the word history?

Offline Mullerian

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 05:28:02 pm »
A nerf to archery is impossible, it would cause to much whine from the large base of archers. I say dont nerf archery but tweak armor a bit.

I find it funny that i have a full steel helmet yet the arrows dont glance off but one shot me. Kinda makes the helmet useless.
Should just go a lighter one and save speed/money.

In my plateish helmet i take headshots every now and then, its rather rare for an archer to oneshot me even with a headshot tbh.

@OP: Lol

Offline Wallace

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WallaceBRD
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 05:28:46 pm »
This has to be a troll thread

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 05:33:17 pm »
Why would you put quotations around the word history?

...because a Youtube clippppp of some semi-scientific "test" for the LULZ-generation has def more weight ;-)