Author Topic: Rome II General Info Thread  (Read 127183 times)

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
Re: Rome II General Info Thread
« Reply #1110 on: September 05, 2013, 11:46:54 am »
+4
Found this beautiful comment which seems to sum up most critcs:

(click to show/hide)

Actually, it starts to make sense (huge UI, mediocre combat, simplified controls):

http://www.videogamer.com/pc/rome_ii_total_war/news/sega_considering_porting_total_war_and_strategy_line-up_to_ps4_and_xbox_one.html

Thats complete speculation as of now, many people were saying this is the only source stating that and its not exactly a reliable one, plus it was written in june. Im not saying it isnt possible, but to assume its a fact just because of one statement on that website is jumping the gun. Plus CA have already made a console game years ago, they might make another, that doesnt mean its why rome 2 has issues.

It just seems like all the upset players are clutching at straws, everyone seems to forget how awful some of the older TW games were at release, M2 was unplayable in some cases and empires had a large amount of game breaking bugs and awful AI. Rome 2 has its issues, but im confident CA will improve the base game with patches along with optimization and a selection of mods will allow me to change game aspects I dislike.

People should also stop throwing Shogun 2 into their arguments, everyone bashed that to hell on release and now everyone is saying its great. What you have to remember is Shogun 2 is patched up and was also a far simpler game to make in the first place. Shogun 2 also had a terribly boring campaign.

All in all yes CA need to fix things in Rome 2 and definitely optimize it, but some people really need to get a grip and perhaps forget about Rome 2 until things are fixed and even modded so they might enjoy it more and not spam the total war forums with massive basement dweller rage. Petsonally i cant think of a total war game that i didnt enjoy playing more with mods so lets wait and see before we get mad.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: September 05, 2013, 12:04:15 pm »
What Leesin said. I'm putting this game on standby for at least a month or two, before i try out some patches.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: September 05, 2013, 12:12:39 pm »
Pro tip, Spartan Pikemen are the best thing you'll ever buy for 510 gold. Just won a quick battle with 13 units of them, god they are awesome. I am having a blast playing this game still, but multiplayer battles start to get boring already due to the extreme supremacy of infantry. Can't do much varied armies when having 75% infantry is basically a must. Apart from the dirt cheap elephants, which are basically a no brainer to get two units of, Spartan Pikemen are probably the most OP thing.

Lack of fatigue is also a problem. Who cares about flanking or devious maneuvers when people can sprint everyone to everywhere in a pinch. Even the phalanxes are extremely mobile and adaptable to the situation. Getting attacked from the back? Sprint them towards the enemy, click at the last second and boom, fully functioning phalanx. The speed of cavalry compared to infantry is also very low and so is their survivability. Well, at least I destroyed a full unit of veteran legionaries once with a single charge from Parthia's Royal Cataphracts.

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #1113 on: September 05, 2013, 12:23:41 pm »
Yeah, balance is pretty much broken :(

One thing I observed with cav though is that the real charge damage doesn't seem to apply immediately, but rather 3-4 seconds after the impact. I've had my best success with cavalry charging them into the rear of enemy units, letting them hang a few seconds (weirdly enough), pulling out and repeating. Might be just my imagination, but this seems to cause respectable casualties when used by "shock" cav.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: September 05, 2013, 01:47:05 pm »
>.>    <.<    >.>

Class ballance is realistic! only problem is the fast battles.
Cav and ranged are efficient in their own way, but people need to remember that this is supposed to be a representation of the ancient days, when infantry really rulled the field. Most cavalry's job was to clear weak peasant like units and outmaneuver the enemy to get them to rout. While ranged is very usefull at softening an enemy infantry blob while inf holds them off, inf can't do that (course, neither of these features seem relevant with the fast battles...).

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: September 05, 2013, 01:55:20 pm »
well said leesin. also pro tip:

options>interface>misc>always on.

now you don't have to figure out what the new card icons mean. its anoying that its off by default but to be fair new icons aren't so bad once you get used to them.

I still think that after some patches the good changes of rome2 will outwiegh the bad ones, but has to be said that most of this list is true:
http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/79419-Rome-2-A-casualty-of-the-casual
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 02:00:20 pm by Banok »

Offline War_Ferret

• Count
  • Renown: 182
  • Infamy: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: September 05, 2013, 02:32:49 pm »
Found this beautiful comment which seems to sum up most critcs:

(click to show/hide)

Actually, it starts to make sense (huge UI, mediocre combat, simplified controls):

http://www.videogamer.com/pc/rome_ii_total_war/news/sega_considering_porting_total_war_and_strategy_line-up_to_ps4_and_xbox_one.html

Et tu, CA?...

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #1117 on: September 05, 2013, 02:39:35 pm »
Thats complete speculation as of now, many people were saying this is the only source stating that and its not exactly a reliable one, plus it was written in june. Im not saying it isnt possible, but to assume its a fact just because of one statement on that website is jumping the gun. Plus CA have already made a console game years ago, they might make another, that doesnt mean its why rome 2 has issues.

It just seems like all the upset players are clutching at straws, everyone seems to forget how awful some of the older TW games were at release, M2 was unplayable in some cases and empires had a large amount of game breaking bugs and awful AI. Rome 2 has its issues, but im confident CA will improve the base game with patches along with optimization and a selection of mods will allow me to change game aspects I dislike.

People should also stop throwing Shogun 2 into their arguments, everyone bashed that to hell on release and now everyone is saying its great. What you have to remember is Shogun 2 is patched up and was also a far simpler game to make in the first place. Shogun 2 also had a terribly boring campaign.

All in all yes CA need to fix things in Rome 2 and definitely optimize it, but some people really need to get a grip and perhaps forget about Rome 2 until things are fixed and even modded so they might enjoy it more and not spam the total war forums with massive basement dweller rage. Petsonally i cant think of a total war game that i didnt enjoy playing more with mods so lets wait and see before we get mad.
Up till now I never said that I like or even dislike Rome 2 cuz I haven't had the chance to even play it yet.
They fucked up the release, again. Just because they always did it this badly or even worse can't be an excuse for not being able to learn from their mistakes.

All I do is airing my frustration about such an old and veteran studio not being able to properly test and QA their game before release. I am complaining about the unfinished state this piece of software obviously is in. It runs like shit for me and not just me but a lot of others too and tbh I can't remember a game that ran that badly after its release from all those I played over the last few years.

I am disappointed.

Now I've read that their first patch will be online tomorrow and that they plan to do weekly patches. You wanna seriously tell me they didn't fuck up if there is actually the need to patch the game on a weekly basis. CA knows all too well that they screwed up badly.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Leesin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: September 05, 2013, 03:57:54 pm »
I dont see anything in my post saying that its ok for them to fuck it up for the billionth time, neither did i say they didnt fuck it up, considering I have played the game and have seen the extent of issues that do need fixing I know they have work to do.

My post was  about the rage and cry posters that are acting like this is the worst release and the worst game in the series, when it really isnt either of those. Probably the same people who sit there and praise the othet games, some of which had far worst issues at release and some of which are just not as fun as Rome 2.

What im saying is people should chill the fuck out and give CA a chance to try and fix atleast the biggest issues in the game before rage posting, things like unit balance and battles ending too quickly will be improved by mods if not by CA.

Offline War_Ferret

• Count
  • Renown: 182
  • Infamy: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: September 05, 2013, 05:04:39 pm »
The things that bother me the most are the lack of

- a family tree to give some meaning to the leaders, and not just be random and replacable. I guess it made sense to remove it from titles like Empire, but why not re-introduce it now? I'm actually very surprised it's not in the game, after CA made so much noise about their "internal" politics, rival families and intrigues.

- the old character trait system that you had only limited and indirect influence on and that gave your generals a unique and dynamic personality with strengths and weaknesses. It was a nice TW trademark feature and I prefer it over generic level ups any day.

Unlike unit stats, AI, maybe even the UI - I just don't think patches or mods can do anything about it.

edit: same probably applies to the long wait in between turns.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 05:12:57 pm by War_Ferret »

Offline Leesin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: September 05, 2013, 05:29:27 pm »
The things that bother me the most are the lack of

- a family tree to give some meaning to the leaders, and not just be random and replacable. I guess it made sense to remove it from titles like Empire, but why not re-introduce it now? I'm actually very surprised it's not in the game, after CA made so much noise about their "internal" politics, rival families and intrigues.

- the old character trait system that you had only limited and indirect influence on and that gave your generals a unique and dynamic personality with strengths and weaknesses. It was a nice TW trademark feature and I prefer it over generic level ups any day.

Unlike unit stats, AI, maybe even the UI - I just don't think patches or mods can do anything about it.

edit: same probably applies to the long wait in between turns.

I agree about family trees but I'm not sure how they would have worked with all of the factions, i.e as Iceni there is a balance of power between elder chief n other chiefs, it doesnt mean a ton to me but it seems like they would have had a lot of work to do to make it and seeing as the game already has enough issues i imagine they just didnt have the time to do it, remember they have a boss called SEGA who pushes deadlines. I am hoping they will release a dlc that expands on families and internal politics, that i wouldnt mind paying for.

Im not sure where you got the idea there is no trait system as my generals have been picking up positive ones randomly and also a few negatives, it could be more detailed and indepth though.

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: September 05, 2013, 05:33:25 pm »
Your tears are tasty. The idea of having hugely better units because you played more sounded disgusting.

I guess this is a crpg forum, shouldn't surprise me that people don't want even playing field or sensible game changes.
And yet Shogun 2 (although after loads of patching and balance tweaks, but still), is a x10000 deeper game than Rome 2 will ever be, unfortunately.

Offline Leesin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: September 05, 2013, 05:49:36 pm »
+2
And yet Shogun 2 (although after loads of patching and balance tweaks, but still), is a x10000 deeper game than Rome 2 will ever be, unfortunately.

Whilst im not saying shogun 2 isnt a good game, I dont see how Shogun 2 is any deeper than Rome 2, please enlighten me

Offline wayyyyyne

• Marshall
  • Renown: 725
  • Infamy: 233
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: September 05, 2013, 06:09:06 pm »
+9
(click to show/hide)

Offline Leesin

• King