Author Topic: Horses - how to improve difficulty  (Read 25104 times)

Offline Largg

• Earl
  • Renown: 321
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Horses - how to improve difficulty
« Reply #315 on: July 06, 2012, 06:43:51 am »
Adding whistling for only horse you spawn with would be a nice addition too. It is almost comical how downed cav players running away whistling. Quite often they get a free horse wayy to easy and continue the reckless playstyle. Having it harder to find a new horse could make cav players have more mind playing.

Offline Rheinhardt

• Noble
  • Renown: 22
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 06, 2012, 07:17:17 am »
Sure, when I get an NPC squire back at spawn who holds my extra horse and lance.

Offline Paniolo808

• Knight
  • Renown: 48
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • Bumpin
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nakoa
« Reply #317 on: July 06, 2012, 09:09:23 am »
+11
I own six horses irl and I have been riding for twenty years. I've competed on horseback, I've made a living on horseback. All suggestions that horses should be more sluggish or response have obviously never ridden a tuned horse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvuSvwb8DPg&feature=fvwrel Fuck the music, mute it and watch. That's how agile a horse can be. The horse is motherfucking side stepping. I'd like to see that shit. Diagonal movement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvuSvwb8DPg&feature=fvwrel No hands. Sudden stops can be done on horseback, more or less.

Personally, I think the idea that a slight slope is going to radically slow down a horse is also ridiculous. Just my couple cents.
"We can say that Maud'Dib learned rapidly because his first training was in how to learn. And the first lesson of all was the basic trust that he could learn."

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #318 on: July 06, 2012, 09:13:27 am »
+2
(click to show/hide)

Holy fucking crap! I knew they are agile,  but fucks sake.  sidestepping like a crab and doin faints like an american football player.  yeeehaaaw,  I want that!
thanks for the awesome videos.

How do you think,  the skill requirement for cav could be upped?
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Visconti

• Count
  • Renown: 278
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Velucan
  • Game nicks: Tristran_Steward_of_TKoV
« Reply #319 on: July 06, 2012, 10:35:37 am »
I own six horses irl and I have been riding for twenty years. I've competed on horseback, I've made a living on horseback. All suggestions that horses should be more sluggish or response have obviously never ridden a tuned horse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvuSvwb8DPg&feature=fvwrel Fuck the music, mute it and watch. That's how agile a horse can be. The horse is motherfucking side stepping. I'd like to see that shit. Diagonal movement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvuSvwb8DPg&feature=fvwrel No hands. Sudden stops can be done on horseback, more or less.

Personally, I think the idea that a slight slope is going to radically slow down a horse is also ridiculous. Just my couple cents.

Really cool video, but i doubt the behemoth war horses that knights rode into battle would be that agile. Especially if they are covered in metal armor.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 06, 2012, 10:53:18 am »
(click to show/hide)
Now I want to see him try that against an uninjured, non drugged bull. Fuck that is such a despicable tradition.

Offline Idzo

• Earl
  • Renown: 494
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Deserter_IdZo
  • IRC nick: IdZo Steam Nick: Deja3n9
« Reply #321 on: July 06, 2012, 11:04:54 am »
+1

They do better side step then Usher.
Urist: Being crpg mod makes you go insane at some point. look at meow, he thinks he's a fcking cat

Offline Kansuke

• Earl
  • Renown: 401
  • Infamy: 38
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Kansuke, LeRun
« Reply #322 on: July 06, 2012, 11:06:57 am »
Now I want to see him try that against an uninjured, non drugged bull. Fuck that is such a despicable tradition.

Bulls in corrida aren't drugged nor injured till the very end, and only in spain they pike it and kill it at the end, in france and portugal they live after it and they don't suffer from the banderas on their back because they are planted into the fat of it.

Bulls can't reach the same speed as horses because the arena is circular and they don't have the same agility as a horse. But in a sraight line bulls are much faster than horse on a short period of time (that's why corrida arena are round).

Everything you see on TV isn't true you know ?

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #323 on: July 06, 2012, 11:54:32 am »
How to improve difficulty on horses? Make it more skill-based.

1) Remove charge damage altogether. Just bumping someone to death simply isn't a fun game mechanic. It also doesn't require much skill at all (no timing needed + unblockable)

2) Nerf knockdown a bit. Make it shorter and less reliable. Allow people who jump aside to get up faster, but let people who just stand there still be knocked down long like they are now.

That should probably increase the difficulty somewhat and is enough if you ask me.

If you need to do more nerfing, consider adding stuff like the rider falling off the horse when you collide or get stopped. But keep in mind that long stuns aren't  a good game mechanic, because they aren't fun.

Offline Ealoseum

• Knight
  • Renown: 57
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bushido
  • IRC nick: Ealoseum
« Reply #324 on: July 06, 2012, 12:10:42 pm »

First horse is going to be the best soccer player of all times. With her epic skill moves:D

Offline Rheinhardt

• Noble
  • Renown: 22
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 06, 2012, 12:13:09 pm »
+2
Really cool video, but i doubt the behemoth war horses that knights rode into battle would be that agile. Especially if they are covered in metal armor.

Unfortunately this is a big fat nope. While I agree armor is going to slow down a horse, its a myth that war horses were huge ancestors to Clydsdales. That Palimino looks about right for a lighter horse. Destriers were a little heavier, but although a lost breed they were bred to be fast and agile as well as strong. Fast and agile enough, in fact, that when destriers ridden by crusaders first encountered Turkish horse archers mounted on much lighter and bred for speed horses, they were able to run them down. Reason? Knights rode stallions; ungelded hot-blooded male horses. Turks rode the faster and lighter mares; female horses. Given some twenty percent of the Turkish horses were in heat and sweating pheromones and the stallions were ordered to charge ten thousand exotic oriental mares who collectively smelled like a harem and kept turning tail...

History is so funny sometimes.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 06, 2012, 12:48:07 pm »

Hopefully horse movement will be much more complete in m&b 2

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #327 on: July 06, 2012, 12:55:09 pm »
Adding whistling for only horse you spawn with would be a nice addition too. It is almost comical how downed cav players running away whistling. Quite often they get a free horse wayy to easy and continue the reckless playstyle. Having it harder to find a new horse could make cav players have more mind playing.
You are aware due to next to no cav clashes and the few clashes that there are only aiming for the horse and all inf ragekilling every horse that comes near them after they've killed the rider finding a horse isn't always that easy, right?
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline _Tak_

• Earl
  • Renown: 459
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Retired Dev of FI2
    • View Profile
    • mod :D
  • Game nicks: LC
« Reply #328 on: July 06, 2012, 12:57:09 pm »
Make the rider dies when get dehorse, just like in medieval total war

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 06, 2012, 01:00:32 pm »
Make the rider dies when get dehorse, just like in medieval total war

In M:TW cav is effective against archers. Your point is invalid.