Poll

Remove the weeabo hollywood ninja gear and replace it with realistic Japanese gear

Aye
22 (46.8%)
Naw
21 (44.7%)
Mibbe
4 (8.5%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: A change of Scene, a change of Style  (Read 4224 times)

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
Re: A change of Scene, a change of Style
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 03:09:02 pm »
That's the problem.

You equate black clad ninjas with anime, when that cultural phenomenon was first popularized by western movie industry. You seem more interested in japanese historical accuracy and by extension more interested in Japan in general and therefore, from my point of view, you seem a lot more "weaboo" than any ninja I know.

It's not meant as an insult, I personally carry no grudge against weaboos, and you're probably not an actual weaboo. You're probably just someone interested in Japanese history.. It's just to point out that the ninja clan often has a different point of view than weaboos and weaboo haters.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 03:18:17 pm by Ninja_Khorin »

Offline Ujio

• Knight
  • Renown: 70
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 03:20:05 pm »
That's the problem.

You equate black clad ninjas with anime, when that cultural phenomenon was first popularized by western movie industry. You seem more interested in japanese historical accuracy and by extension more interested in Japan in general and therefore, from my point of view, you seem a lot more "weaboo" than any ninja I know.

Sorry, I may have been a bit too generic with my comment on black clad Ninja. What I mean is, black pyjama, mask wearing Ninja are unrealistic, be it from anime or western 70's movies, it doesn't really matter where they're from. But you're picking at hairs here, in order to avoid the point.

As for weeabo, being interested in Japan, doesn't make you a weeabo. Being obsessed with Japan to the point of extreme annoyance is what makes a weeabo. For example playing as a fake 70's Ninja movie/anime inspired,"black clad" Ninja on the battlefield, in a fairly realistic game/mod centered around medieval battles.

I actually wouldn't mind Ninja so much if they added some sort of assassination system.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"By protecting Men, you save yourself."

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Zen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 03:33:07 pm »
Yes, it's unrealistic, but this mod has never been particurarly interested in extreme historical accuracy which is why there are so many styles available, and it's also a reason why this mod has become so popular. Atleast this is my opinion.

If roleplaying American Ninja(which was one of my fav movies as a kid) is weaboo, then so be it  :)

But having someone nitpick about us not wearing proper japanese gear does from my point of view seem more weaboo than us not caring about what japanese people actually do.

We're getting offtopic, though. The point still stands that there are no ninja gear in the game. There are just combinations of armours that kinda looks like a ninja. Just like there are armours for cavemen, hoplites, highlanders, romans, assassins, chinese, zulu, etc.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 03:33:59 pm »
in a fairly realistic game/mod centered around medieval battles

Why are you discussing other games/mods in the suggestion corner?
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Frell

• Baron
  • Renown: 117
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Frell, Valperga
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 04:20:26 pm »
We have enough wannabe samurai/ninja kids running around. Ill give chadz $300 to remove the black hood and katana for a week and see who doesn't QQ.

Offline Fuma Kotaro

• Marshall
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm Fubadubbaduma
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Duck
  • Game nicks: Fuma + sth
  • IRC nick: sF_Leonidas
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 04:43:58 pm »
http://www.kobudoverband-nrw.de/masters/nobuyuki.htm
sry for german D:

Ninjas were real!!!! First point
2. Why the fuck can't you leave the Ninjas Ninjas, they also let you Kuyak+Vaegir War Mask+ Greatsword spammers alone and this goes to all those other haters 2
3. We could add new accurate armors from Japan but not remove the current once

Spoiler for haters
(click to show/hide)

Offline Ujio

• Knight
  • Renown: 70
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2012, 04:10:57 pm »
Get rid of the mask, leave the Katana it's a perfectly real medieval weapon
By the way, QQ?

http://www.kobudoverband-nrw.de/masters/nobuyuki.htm
sry for german D:

Ninjas were real!!!! First point
2. Why the fuck can't you leave the Ninjas Ninjas, they also let you Kuyak+Vaegir War Mask+ Greatsword spammers alone and this goes to all those other haters 2
3. We could add new accurate armors from Japan but not remove the current once

Spoiler for haters
(click to show/hide)

I know Ninja were real, I don't have a problem with them being in C-rpg, I just would prefer some more realistic Ninja, than the Hollywood style.

But I'm afraid you're missing the point of my thread. It isn't to get rid of Ninja, it's to replace Hollywood Japanese gear with realistic Japanese gear.

Yes, it's unrealistic, but this mod has never been particurarly interested in extreme historical accuracy which is why there are so many styles available, and it's also a reason why this mod has become so popular. Atleast this is my opinion.

I agree you with you there. It's the Variety and versatility of this mod that makes it Great. It's all about being able to make you're own unique character.

But this mod has somewhat of basis in realism, going of the majority of gear ingame (I never said it was "extreme historical accuracy" just "fairly realistic")
But you've got to draw the line somewhere. I'm sure everyone would be ragin' if Power rangers were running around on the battlefield, or if they saw Gandalf charging towards them.

If roleplaying American Ninja(which was one of my fav movies as a kid) is weaboo, then so be it  :)

Yeah, I think it does, but I don't find people who want to play as Hollywood Ninja, half as annoying, as the people who bash and insult Japanese style warriors, regardless of whether they are a realistic Bushi or a black Ninja.

They do so without any discrimination. Their basic reason seems to be - I don't like Japan, Which just seems racist to be honest. Their dislike very rarely seems to be based on how it affects the game, just the fact that they hate a certain culture.

But I think it would be nice to have the Japanese play-style not automatically associated with fantasy. Have it taken seriously.
And for players of Japanese warrior types, not to be treated like crap.

And to be able to post ideas for new gear without, getting barrages of insults, trolling, cynicism and rage
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 04:34:54 pm by Ujio »

"By protecting Men, you save yourself."

Offline Fuma Kotaro

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm Fubadubbaduma
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 04:26:20 pm »
Get rid of the mask, leave the Katana it's a perfectly real medieval weapon
By the way, QQ?

I know Ninja were real, I don't have a problem with them being in C-rpg, I just would prefer some more realistic Ninja, than the Hollywood style.

But I'm afraid you're missing the point of my thread. It isn't to get rid of Ninja, it's to replace Hollywood Japanese gear with realistic Japanese gear.

And you miss my point my point was that you don't replace the current once  but just add the new armors without replacing and removing anything

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Zen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2012, 09:30:04 pm »
I completely agree that the random hate for Japan(especially Japan) is ridiculous. But that's just a current cultural phenomenon just as much as weaboo-ism.

On the other hand though, I think there are more pressing areas other than Japan that should be addressed aswell. Areas like India, for example, of which we have no gear from and China, which seems to be getting some attention right now. People in general seem to be more positive toward those areas aswell. Lot of Japanophobes are actually wanting the chinese stuff added, which is great! Now some Indian stuff and some more saracen stuff(from Panos thread) and maybe some even more exotic stuff and this mod will be truly interesting.

But, my point still stands. Ninjas, even though we're not historically accurate, we're actually dressed like what a 70s ninja would look like if he ever had to fight on a battlefield during the medieval era and have a uniform. We have the signature weapon, modified armour for battlefield needs and other tactics than the usual run off the mill knight zergling.

And ninjas are also extremely strict about keeping the style and I take great joy in occasionally roleplayin' an old grizzled ninja that's gone through countless battles. Atleast I did that a lot more before I became an admin, nowadays I keep it mainly in the forums. I really wish more people would take on a character and stick to it, however most people seem more interesting in the gaming aspects of cRPG, than the roleplaying aspects.

Offline Dalfador

• Marshall
  • Renown: 898
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the White Stallion
  • Game nicks: Dalfador
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2012, 09:41:33 pm »
Armor requests without models = no add

Maybe some day they'll call us heroes.

Offline Fuma Kotaro

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm Fubadubbaduma
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2012, 10:11:01 pm »
+1
Armor requests without models = no add

Create some

Offline Haboe

• King
  • Renown: 1090
  • Infamy: 331
  • Born with a shield on my back. Difficult birth.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Haboe
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2012, 12:05:40 am »
Come with some models if you want ppl to take you serious at such requests.
Asking to add/ replace models without giving a model... Not likely to happen.

Offline Herkkutatti666

• Duke
  • Renown: 585
  • Infamy: 285
  • cRPG Player
  • Rips pärs
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2012, 12:17:06 am »
"Ninja" is made in hollywood

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2012, 12:34:32 am »
My reading comprehension must be failing me but it seems someone is arguing over the theme of a clan.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2012, 03:55:03 pm »
My reading comprehension must be failing me but it seems someone is arguing over the theme of a clan.

Unlike kuyak + plate gauntlets + greatsword + great helm variant (armet being the silliest one I saw) people, ninjas don't make sense, apparently.
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".