Poll

Remove the weeabo hollywood ninja gear and replace it with realistic Japanese gear

Aye
22 (46.8%)
Naw
21 (44.7%)
Mibbe
4 (8.5%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: A change of Scene, a change of Style  (Read 4213 times)

Offline Ujio

• Knight
  • Renown: 70
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
A change of Scene, a change of Style
« on: June 30, 2012, 08:53:01 pm »
+1
My suggestion is to remove the Hollywood ninja stuff, i.e the black Ninja robes/pyjamas and hooded masks, and just add some more Historical Japanese gear.

Like for example some more variation in armor.

Wouldn't require new stats, just different colors of armor to add some Variety, much like the the Transitional armor with surcoat, Corrazina armor, Coat of Plates and the variations of Plate armor.
As well as,  some new weapons like Japanese spears and Halberds.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 09:00:48 pm by Ujio »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"By protecting Men, you save yourself."

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
Re: A change of Scene, a change of Style
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 09:04:35 pm »
+2
If remove it, dont add other stuff for it.

besides there is NO good looking asian stuff anyway
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Ujio

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 01:08:00 pm »
+6

There are NO good looking asian stuff, everything should be White!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 01:18:10 pm by Ujio »

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 01:31:19 pm »
There was no good looking asian gear until I saw the link to the chinese forums with that sub mod for the 1257AD mod. But well, cant imagine to visit chinese forums myself tho. Quite impossible. Wouldnt want Japanese stuff tho.

You wear a nice dress on that picture.
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 01:40:15 pm »
+1
Only hollywood ninja item I can think of are the snowflakes, which I'm fairly certain is not 100% accurate(Don't think they came in that shape).
Katana is accurate. Lamellar vests are accurate, though not japanese. Hooded masks have existed since people started making hoods. As is black boots and steppe armour, light leather, etc.

Ninjas just combine them to create a look, much like the people who play highlanders or romans.

I use white lamellar in snow maps very often. I sometimes use purple when I want to look like a purple ninja and I combine it with padded coif. The black lamellar is what we usually use because we do take a lot of inspiration from Hollywood ninjas. But if you remove it, I can think of quite a few Grey's and many other people who would be bummed. It's quite a popular armour. Only truly japanese armour in the game is the samurai stuff. The "ninja" stuff is mainly European

Offline Ujio

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 01:56:01 pm »
There was no good looking asian gear until I saw the link to the chinese forums with that sub mod for the 1257AD mod. But well, cant imagine to visit chinese forums myself tho. Quite impossible. Wouldnt want Japanese stuff tho.

You wear a nice dress on that picture.

Thanks, I'm surprised you can see it, with me holding the camera and all. By the way, nice hood. It's almost like the Ninja one we have ingame just now, but a bit more white

Only hollywood ninja item I can think of are the snowflakes, which I'm fairly certain is not 100% accurate(Don't think they came in that shape).
Katana is accurate. Lamellar vests are accurate, though not japanese. Hooded masks have existed since people started making hoods. As is black boots and steppe armour, light leather, etc.

Ninjas just combine them to create a look, much like the people who play highlanders or romans.

I use white lamellar in snow maps very often. I sometimes use purple when I want to look like a purple ninja and I combine it with padded coif. The black lamellar is what we usually use because we do take a lot of inspiration from Hollywood ninjas. But if you remove it, I can think of quite a few Grey's and many other people who would be bummed. It's quite a popular armour. Only truly japanese armour in the game is the samurai stuff. The "ninja" stuff is mainly European

Katana is historically accurate, lamellar vest is historically accurate, hooded masks are too, as well as boots.
But the concept of a Ninja wearing black attire and mask isn't historically accurate, and the concept of a Ninja running around on the battlefield certainly isn't Historically accurate.

Ninja would've most likely disguised themselves as either Farmers, Bushi, or Buddhist monks, so that they could blend in with their environment
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 02:02:39 pm by Ujio »

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Zen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 02:26:27 pm »
Thanks, I'm surprised you can see it, with me holding the camera and all. By the way, nice hood. It's almost like the Ninja one we have ingame just now, but a bit more white

Katana is historically accurate, lamellar vest is historically accurate, hooded masks are too, as well as boots.
But the concept of a Ninja wearing black attire and mask isn't historically accurate, and the concept of a Ninja running around on the battlefield certainly isn't Historically accurate.

Okay, so what's the point of this thread? That the ninja clan isn't historically accurate? Or that ninjas should fight on the battlefield?

1. Ninjas are no less historically inaccurate as menstrual monsoon, hyrule, and practically every other clan apart from a select few.
2. You're against ninjas on the battlefield, but not staffmasters, swashbucklers, cavemen and assassins(black robe with dagger)?

You're really want to limit this mod to historically accurate sets of armour and playstyles? You might aswell remove armour parts altogether and just allow people to choose pre-defined armour sets. As much as I dislike people with samurai amour, european helmet, buckler and bow with scimitar, I would not make it impossible to do.

The whole point of this mod is to create a unique persistent character that you can call your own.

Ninja would've most likely disguised themselves as either Farmers, Bushi, or Buddhist monks, so that they could blend in with their environment

Well. As a ninja, I prefer to use my katana, but otherwise I'm dressed like your standard eastern footsoldier in Europe. The environment is a battlefield and I'm a lot more blended in than a farmer. I rarely wear the hood, and when I do it's to hide my face and stop people from recognizing me on the battlefield.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 02:29:56 pm »
+5
Ninja would've most likely disguised themselves ... so that they could blend in with their environment

Khorin, listen to the man, you should disguise yourself in Kuyak + Armet + Greatsword, to blend in with the environment.
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Ujio

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 02:30:56 pm »
:D Not exactly, blend in with whatever is appropriate to the environment you are in

@I suppose what bothers me about having unrealistic Japanese gear, is that, people who want to play as realistic Japanese warriors get painted with the same brush as the anime type warriors.

Everytime someone mentions adding new Japanese gear or talks about anything other than European gear, they will get the usual insults, trolling, "weeabo!" and "There are NO good asian armor. Remove all things that aren't European!"

Plus I think it's stupid to have Ninja running around on the battlefield, but then I also think those other unrealistic Warrior types you mentioned running around on the battlefield are ridiculous as well, but they don't bother me quite as much, for the reason stated above.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 02:38:10 pm by Ujio »

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Zen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 02:33:00 pm »
Essentially a kuyak and a greatsword, then.

Offline Ujio

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 02:44:11 pm »
Well. As a ninja, I prefer to use my katana, but otherwise I'm dressed like your standard eastern footsoldier in Europe. The environment is a battlefield and I'm a lot more blended in than a farmer. I rarely wear the hood, and when I do it's to hide my face and stop people from recognizing me on the battlefield.

More blended in than a farmer, but not more blended in than a warrior class, and in the case of Buddhist monks- Sohei/Warrior monks

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 02:49:10 pm »
More blended in than a farmer, but not more blended in than a warrior class

I agree, full plate and flamberge is the ultimate ninja wear.

Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Zen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 02:53:33 pm »
@I suppose what bothers me about having unrealistic Japanese gear, is that, people who want to play as realistic Japanese warriors get painted with the same brush as the anime type warriors.

Everytime someone mentions adding new Japanese gear or talks about anything other than European gear, they will get the usual insults, trolling, "weeabo!" and "There are NO good asian armor. Remove all things that aren't European!"
I know what you mean. The random weaboo insults are stupid, however I disagree that ninjas are in anyway "anime". I think ninjas are a lot less "weaboo" than the samurai. Ninjas are a clan roleplaying a 70s-ish idea of a ninja. We have practically little to no interest in japan apart from that a lot of 70s ninja movies came from there, but they were mainly from Hollywood. I'm a history geek, somewhat, so I'm interested in Japan for the same reason I'm interested in Persia and India. I'm the only ninja that I know for sure that has watched an anime series. I watched Cowboy Bebop because if you're a sci-fi geek like me you'd notice that there are literally no decent sci-fi shows on atm, so I resorted to the only sci-fi genre I had left. It was alright, although a little, how should I put it... "japanese".

Samurai are usually a lot more interested in the history of Japan specifically and generally a lot more into japanese stuff like anime and such. As you said, ninjas are hollywood, not japanese. I'd say that you seem a lot more weaboo than any ninja I know  :wink:

So in essence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4m4wbYc08k

Plus I think it's stupid to have Ninja running around on the battlefield, but then I also think those other unrealistic Warrior types you mentioned running around on the battlefield are ridiculous as well, but they don't bother me quite as much, for the reason stated above.

Yes, well. It just kind of shows your bias. Equal treatment 'n all that.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 03:00:50 pm by Ninja_Khorin »

Offline Ujio

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 02:57:47 pm »
I agree, full plate and flamberge is the ultimate ninja wear.

Wouldn't go that far, unless as a Ninja, you're surrounded by tincans. But I suppose if you're surrounded by tincans, you must already be doing a really good job of blending in

I don't think Ninja are automatically anime, they were real. But Ninja in black pyjamas are anime/inaccurate.

I really don't see how a Samurai wearing Japanese armor wielding spears, bows, halberds and Katana could be more anime than a guy with Ninja stars, in black pyjamas, and a mask on the battlefied, unless the Samurai is firing lightning bolts from his sword and fireballs from his arse

Ninja stars were not as lethal as films suggest. Unless landing in a vital point like the throat, a Ninja star would most likely leave a nasty wound. Which may only kill the inflicted person if they underestimated the wound and bled to death, or were so busy fighting, they didn't get medical attention. I highly doubt it they would be able to pierce heavy armor.

Ninja stars were used for assassination. They were most often used as a means to transport poison, by placing poison on the blades and then throwing at the desired target. A very effective means of assassination

As for the bias, It is the C-rpg community who is blatantly bias towards Far-eastern cultures. I am very much in favor of different cultures, especially Far-eastern culture. I understand fully that this mod is all about Variety and creating your own unique character.

I just think it would be nice to have more realistic Japanese gear, instead of all the unrealistic stuff, and for players of Japanese characters not to be treated like dirt in C-rpg
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 03:12:02 pm by Ujio »

Offline Ujio

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 03:01:30 pm »
Accidental double Post DELETE this message