Author Topic: Turning speed nerf effects 1h more than 2h/pole.  (Read 12744 times)

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
Re: Turning speed nerf effects 1h more than 2h/pole.
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2012, 08:41:13 pm »
+2
Pretty sure you increased damage on hitting enemies early in an animation. Which makes killing people behind a lot easier and hilt slashs/castor swings a lot easier because there is less chance that you will glance.
You can do massive damage immediately after the end of your chamber animation in native too (with the 1h left swing, both 2h sideswings, and the polearm right swing). That's just the way Warband is.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2012, 08:41:29 pm »
Something must've happened though, I ain't hallucinating.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2012, 08:43:44 pm »
It's true that one-handers get stuck on surroundings/teammates way too often. Even with overheads, and one-handed stabbing is still as unreliable as ever (even without turning nerf, though from my understanding it won't be applying to short weapons?). I always thought the idea of early active animations was a way to boost short weapons performance in a group fight (loose range, gain ability to swing in tight spaces), which is good thinking, though I don't believe it works as it should at the moment.

I made the 2hander longest, pole in the middle and 1h shortest for stab reach. Doesn't make too much of a difference though. On the second set, I rotated each one 45 degrees with a point of rotation of the center of the circle. Notice how the 1-hander has the shortest horizontal distance by a LARGE margin. That's why this hurts 1-handers more than anything else.

While this looks right on paper, the facts are that 1h max distance stab glances most of the time. So the actual usable 1h stab is almost facehug distance to be honest. So what you're saying is even more true.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 08:50:08 pm by Tot. »
Mods compatible with cRPG. New crosshairs, textures, sounds, yay.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2012, 08:46:12 pm »
If anything, I added animation progress based sweetspots to swings (previously only overhead and thrust had them) in addition to angle based sweetspots, but that can only decrease damage on early hits, not increase it.
Maybe it was Urist's armor soak/reduce change?

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2012, 08:47:11 pm »

Yeah, I was thinking that may have been it.

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2012, 08:48:47 pm »
+2
The soak/reduce change made marginal (near-glance) hiltslashes more effective, but well executed ones hit for near full damage anyways. I honestly just think that people got better at hiltslashing. Nothing wrong with that, it adds more mind-games to fights.

Offline BaleOhay

• Marshall
  • Renown: 789
  • Infamy: 229
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BS
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2012, 09:30:17 pm »
+3
lets just put the turning speed back to normal and pretend it never happened?
Leader of BS

Offline Vkvkvk

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2012, 11:04:27 pm »
+12
The soak/reduce change made marginal (near-glance) hiltslashes more effective, but well executed ones hit for near full damage anyways. I honestly just think that people got better at hiltslashing. Nothing wrong with that, it adds more mind-games to fights.

If I get caught in a hiltslash, I don't see any more mind-games than having to block twice and then alt+f4'ing due to the growing brain tumor in my head that has occured during the duel and is now killing me in real life.

I think the biggest problem in the community is how split it is, one side wants a sort of simulator (I would be on this side, I'm fine with taking a bit of freedom and stuff but hiltslashes and spinning just looks ridiculous to me and apparently to alot of other people.)

And then the other side which want some sort of Arcade version where archers/crossbows/throwers are twitch-based quake railgunners and where everyone is spinning like a top to score skills.

This game reminds me a bit of GunZ, if anyone ever played that. I played back when it was relatively new, everything was good and dandy, players used the game mechanics as they were meant to be used. Fast forward to about a year, everyone was now glitching animations to do fucked up BUTTERFLY 360 SHOTGUNTOYOURFACE jAHFSJASHF bullshit, I don't exactly want cRPG to turn into this (Even though both Native and cRPG turned like that to a certain degree already, spazfeinting comes to mind.)

Offline Tanken

• King
  • Renown: 1463
  • Infamy: 395
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Tanken
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2012, 11:06:14 pm »
Further proof to revert nerf. Give me my helicopter back.
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!
Thanks to all of those who contributed.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2012, 01:35:08 am »
+2
If I get caught in a hiltslash, I don't see any more mind-games than having to block twice and then alt+f4'ing due to the growing brain tumor in my head that has occured during the duel and is now killing me in real life.

I think the biggest problem in the community is how split it is, one side wants a sort of simulator (I would be on this side, I'm fine with taking a bit of freedom and stuff but hiltslashes and spinning just looks ridiculous to me and apparently to alot of other people.)

And then the other side which want some sort of Arcade version where archers/crossbows/throwers are twitch-based quake railgunners and where everyone is spinning like a top to score skills.

This game reminds me a bit of GunZ, if anyone ever played that. I played back when it was relatively new, everything was good and dandy, players used the game mechanics as they were meant to be used. Fast forward to about a year, everyone was now glitching animations to do fucked up BUTTERFLY 360 SHOTGUNTOYOURFACE jAHFSJASHF bullshit, I don't exactly want cRPG to turn into this (Even though both Native and cRPG turned like that to a certain degree already, spazfeinting comes to mind.)
So true.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2012, 01:44:41 am »
+3
So true.

Even though inevitable, I think that could have been slowed down if the encouraged mindset wasn't 100% about competitive gameplay.

Where are these level 40 knight boss fights that spiced up the mod gone ?

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2012, 01:48:37 am »
+1
*affects

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2012, 01:51:23 am »
+2
Can we get a confirmation that turning speed limitation won't be affecting short weapons? It's kind of a big deal right now for 1h since one can quite easily sidestep out of possible turning cone during the (especially) overhead animation.

Offline _GTX_

• I <3 Shemaforash
  • Duke
  • Renown: 535
  • Infamy: 960
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • O===((:::::::::::::::>
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmarunionen
  • Game nicks: GTX
  • IRC nick: GTX
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2012, 01:57:28 am »
Can we get a confirmation that turning speed limitation won't be affecting short weapons? It's kind of a big deal right now for 1h since one can quite easily sidestep out of possible turning cone during the (especially) overhead animation.

Not completely sure about that. Needs to be tested i think.

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2012, 02:00:40 am »
Not sure about what? I believe that cmp said somewhere that it's not really meant to affect short weapons, just wanted to make sure that it's still the idea.