Author Topic: Turning speed nerf effects 1h more than 2h/pole.  (Read 12696 times)

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
Turning speed nerf effects 1h more than 2h/pole.
« on: June 22, 2012, 03:00:50 pm »
+23
So after doing a bit of testing, I feel that the turning speed nerf has more of a detriment to 1h than 2h or pole.

It comes down to 2 factors:
1. 1h have shorter range, meaning it's more difficult for them to compensate for enemy movement.
2. 3 out of 4 1h attacks originate from the right side of the model. This is especially detrimental for the stab.

Let's look at the stab for example. The stab animation extends straight from the right side of the model. This requires a 1-hander to turn just to place the sword at a point where it can even hit the other player. 2-handers and poles stab from the center of their model. They do not need to turn at all in order to hit an enemy player. Due to the fact that 1-handers always had to turn somewhat to even connect, limiting their ability to turn makes it even more difficult to connect with an enemy.

Basically, your chances of landing a stab in a 1v1 are terrible unless you are fighting an idiot. All they have to do is strafe to their right and you will never be able to hit them. The point of rotation not being centered on the weapon combined with the short length makes stabbing with a 1-hander a joke.

Now for some pictures! Obviously these aren't to scale, but I only had a few minutes since I have to run to work. I made the 2hander longest, pole in the middle and 1h shortest for stab reach. Doesn't make too much of a difference though. On the second set, I rotated each one 45 degrees with a point of rotation of the center of the circle. Notice how the 1-hander has the shortest horizontal distance by a LARGE margin. That's why this hurts 1-handers more than anything else.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
Re: Turning speed nerf effects 1h more than 2h/pole.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 03:44:13 pm »
I think they were planning on adjusting the thrust turn change based on weapon length... rumor but I think it would be very beneficial.

For long weapons like pikes & long spears the further away the enemy is the better the chance they'll be within the turn radius of the pike...not so with shorter stabby polearms or 1Hs.  As you said when people are very close to you there is a better chance they'll be able to avoid your thrust 'arc' simply by moving left and right, and you are no longer able to compensate by following them with your thrust.

What the change effectively did that was good was the closer you get to the long stabby weapons, the less effective they are.

What the change effectively did that was bad was it then naturally made the shorter stabby weapons less effective.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 353
  • Infamy: 1969
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 03:52:48 pm »
You're right, rustyspoon.

But I must admit that I'm sick of turning and spinning in this game. Hopefully next Mount and Blade will have realistic combat, not this dancing bullshit everyone is abusing atm.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 04:08:44 pm »
+4
Yes it is completely horrible. Because the 1h overhead is quite fast, I can spin about 20 degrees between starting my attack and ending my attack. Effectively this renders stab chambers quite useless. If I chamber a stab and they move to the side, in the really short time it takes to complete my overhead, I cant keep up with the enemy moving to the side.

The turn rate slowdown was too drastic as its incredibly hard to keep an opponent centered in your screen when doing an overhead or stab.

Same goes for the stab, which the OP overlooked. Not only is it shorter so you can turn less, its also much faster so you get less time to turn. You can't surprise stab anyone, even when they are almost in front of you.

Offline Tazman

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tazman_HRE
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 04:13:48 pm »
Fail-post. Sry

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 365
  • Infamy: 502
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 04:16:42 pm »
+2
That's not a ghost range. Under certain angle, you're able to reach longer than if you're standing still. That's why people are turning around like ballerinas. They tried to fix it, community cried.

I won't be satisfied until we see proper face to face combat, everything else is fantasy bullshit.

Offline Tor!

• He's Tor!
  • Marshall
  • Renown: 739
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Tor
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 04:20:08 pm »
+8
I used to love chambering lances, then hitting the horse in the ass.
(click to show/hide)
[00:53] <xant> i used to play on eu_1
[00:53] <xant> then i took an arrow to the knee

Offline _GTX_

• I <3 Shemaforash
  • Duke
  • Renown: 535
  • Infamy: 960
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • O===((:::::::::::::::>
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmarunionen
  • Game nicks: GTX
  • IRC nick: GTX
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 04:29:25 pm »
Because the 1h overhead is quite fast.

If I chamber a stab and they move to the side, in the really short time it takes to complete my overhead, I cant keep up with the enemy moving to the side.

The turn rate slowdown was too drastic as its incredibly hard to keep an opponent centered in your screen when doing an overhead or stab.

As u can see here, u are saying that the overhead is fast. But u cant follow em, when they are goin around u.

Like u are saying urself here, the overhead on 1h is fast. Specialy compared to any other class. So if anyone is gonna have a shot at hitting people with an overhead when they are goin around them, its the 1h.

And i rly wanna test that out with u. Because i am 100% sure, that the only way they can get around u so fast, that in the short amount of time it takes for the 1h to do and overhead, they are alrdy too far around u. Is if u mess up your footwork.
Same goes for the stab, which the OP overlooked. Not only is it shorter so you can turn less, its also much faster so you get less time to turn. You can't surprise stab anyone, even when they are almost in front of you.

Well as u said earlier in this post, 1h is the fastest weapon out there for sure. And u also said that goin around an enemy is faster than the speed u can turn with. So the fast 1h stab would be a good thing, since they wouldent have enough time to accelerate away from the swing.

And if anyone can surprise stab somebody, then its 1h. Since its the fastest, with the shortest stab. As u said urself here in the post.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 04:33:31 pm »
+5
Gtx pls.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 04:35:01 pm »
But, as Paul said in a different topic, stab hitboxes are different now, easier to hit people with, apparently. So, there should be less need for spin-stabbing, right? Doesn't that even out?

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 04:37:17 pm »
I am just sad that I can't do the left-swing-feint-stab-from-the-same-direction-so-it-looks-like-a-left-swing anymore.

Offline _GTX_

• I <3 Shemaforash
  • Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 04:50:58 pm »
Gtx pls.

yeah i see, u completely proved me wrong.  :rolleyes:

Well lets test it then teeth? or any 1h really. Aslong as he has an average build.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 04:55:48 pm »
+5
I don't really want to prove you wrong, I'm just saying that your continued whiningcritique at everything that doesn't start with G and end with reatsword is getting a bit old.

Offline BaleOhay

• Marshall
  • Renown: 789
  • Infamy: 229
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BS
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 05:02:41 pm »
maybe it will take some getting use to but 1 hand fighting with my iberian is much more difficult. Spent a little time on battle and having a very hard time landing hits. People just walk out of range. Fighting multiple people became much harder as well. I will have to pop on my two hander see if I notice it as much.. but considering a lot of two/pole use the S key fighting style might not hurt them as bad
Leader of BS

Offline _GTX_

• I <3 Shemaforash
  • Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 05:06:08 pm »
I don't really want to prove you wrong, I'm just saying that your continued whiningcritique at everything that doesn't start with G and end with reatsword is getting a bit old.

And im not denying what the op is saying, since the 1h stab naturally is more to the right. I just dont want to act like something completely overreacted is the truth.

And as i said, since there is the possibility im wrong, that we should test it. Instead of arguing.

And if im not trying to the defend the class i played on my main the entire time, who is then? Every possible trick in the book for the 2h got nerfed, or well the ones i know, which was quite alot.