Author Topic: NA gets Patch  (Read 19603 times)

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
Re: NA gets Patch
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2012, 06:37:24 pm »
One good thing about not relying too much on stuff like lolstabbing or polestagger or stuff like that is that these nerfs are never a big issue - if anything they are welcome changes :)
<-- 21/21 build with MW longsword
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Earthdforce

• Earl
  • Renown: 391
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Earth_Geodude_da_Defender, _RageThrower
  • IRC nick: Khalestimo#7613
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2012, 06:38:12 pm »
Spin stabs were nerfed, so those using them will have to increase their skill to remain competitive.
Or...no one can master this new stab, so the overall community skill level drops.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2012, 06:38:22 pm »
+5
This hits every single weapon class really hard. 2h stabs are a large part of what makes 2h weapons good, and for 1h stabs twisting is vital for ensuring a clean hit.

I agree with the 1h part. But one thing that always bothered me with the 2h stab is that people would stab clean past me, while I had my block down. Then once I was pretty sure that there's no way that that stab is going to get me, I get ready for a swing.

Then out of butt fuck nowhere, they DRAAAAAG the tip of their sword into me, for a full stab damage and swing cancellation.

THAT. Is stupid.

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2012, 06:39:36 pm »
+3
Vodner, you are a 2h. You have no right to complain about the minor nerf to your weapon while thrusting based polearms got the shaft. (pun intended)
I'm actually a polearm right now (not a very good one, but a polearm nonetheless). I was a 2h before that. Before that I was a 1h. Before that I was polearm again. Etc, etc.

Then once I was pretty sure that there's no way that that stab is going to get me, I get ready for a swing.

Then out of butt fuck nowhere, they DRAAAAAG the tip of their sword into me, for a full stab damage and swing cancellation.

THAT. Is stupid.
No, that's a punishment either not understanding or for momentarily forgetting the melee mechanics that make that possible. It was one of the things that made melee combat as deep as it was - failing to take into consideration every single trick your opponent has available to him can lead to you quickly losing a fight, or at least taking substantial damage.

That's exactly how things should be. It should be very easy to make mistakes.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 06:47:50 pm by Vodner »

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2012, 06:39:48 pm »
+2
Yeah, because every Viking had a burly beard, expensive fur coated armor or no armor at all, throwing axes, a really big axe to cleave people with. Spears weren't part of it at all.

Pikes weren't even invented until the 1400s.

http://randkl.com/joemodeling/spears.html
I stand corrected, and I maintain that your pikes were gay.

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2012, 06:41:48 pm »
+3
First thing I found on google
(click to show/hide)

Qtd in http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/manufacturing/text/viking_spear.htm

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2012, 06:46:18 pm »
Initial impression of anit-lol stab feature -
Ugh. Hate it on so many levels.
Rather get lol stabbed by Hudson then gimp everything.
I'd rather watch the Sosarian Knight slaughter a group then see him sitting at the back like a camp follower.
Honestly, I'd rather get dick slapped by one of Dasty's spinning jump spins.

Blatantly self serving.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2012, 06:46:36 pm »
+2
wait, all spinning stabs were nerfed?  I thought it was just pole spin-stabs, which were ridiculous (they allowed one to stab with the "side" of the point.)

What the hell was wrong with 1h stabs?  This is an outrage.  1h should be able to stab opponents that are really close to them, and spinning is the only thing that allowed this.  On pikes it was fucked up, but it makes sense on a 1h sword.

I am against this now. 
They said they were nerfing pole spin-stab, and snuck in everything.  Just like congress... :evil:

Offline Tor!

• He's Tor!
  • Marshall
  • Renown: 739
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Tor
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2012, 06:46:59 pm »
+10
I respect the devs work and vision, but something really went wrong here. I completely agree with what Saul says. It caters less and less to the individual, and most importantly player skill. The game should not be made simpler when the skill ceiling was reached a year ago. Some fights now are simply about who gets bored first, not about who actually outplays the other. If you are replacing the freedom of turning we had, atleast replace it with something that can fill the missing gap! Polestagger removed was a great thing though.

I find the only fun thing left in this game is to charge a group of players all alone, in hope of an interesting fight. As long as your not hit by a bolt, arrow or long poky sticks while doing it, those fights can still be fun.

(click to show/hide)
[00:53] <xant> i used to play on eu_1
[00:53] <xant> then i took an arrow to the knee

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2012, 06:49:28 pm »
+3
Saul, you're telling me that one of the ways to get a kill is to abuse a mechanic that specifically gives one weapon class an advantage over all the others? The 1h couldn't do it, waiting too long ends in a glance. Polearms couldn't do it. It's not even in the animation. But oh god forbid we balance the precious 2h heroes and their swords of justice.

Also, from what I read about you and your fight with Hudson, you weren't pleased yourself with polearm spin stabs. Why should 2h stay with their broken mechanics when polearms get fixed? I'm not polearm lobbying here. I'm simply stating that broken mechanics - no matter from what weapon class - need to be fixed.

If you can delay stab people, then archers should be able to jump shoot.

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2012, 06:50:24 pm »
+1
First thing I found on google
(click to show/hide)

Qtd in http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/manufacturing/text/viking_spear.htm

First thing I found on google under greatsword length:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zweih%C3%A4nder

So a pike should only be ~2x as long, but in game its much longer then that. I also didn't see anything in your link about 360 spin stabs or whatnot.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2012, 06:53:08 pm »
+9

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2012, 06:54:35 pm »
+4
Also, from what I read about you and your fight with Hudson, you weren't pleased yourself with polearm spin stabs. Why should 2h stay with their broken mechanics when polearms get fixed?
I don't think any weapon class should have received the nerf. What was annoying about fighting Sauce was that he was just weapon stunning me repeatedly (IE for over a minute), then he was cocky when I finally got impatient. I didn't have any complaints about any spinstabs he did - if I messed up the block then I deserved the hit. I love fighting BigSandwich, and he takes advantage of every mechanic available to him.

Spinstabs are actually *really* important for polearms, since their animations are so easy to read. I thought the complaints about losing 1v1 to a pike were silly - the only time it happens is if you are impatient.

I've always been in favor of giving polearms better left swing and overhead animations, removing polestagger, and buffing spear sideswing damage.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 07:00:08 pm by Vodner »

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2012, 07:03:24 pm »
was 1h spinning seriously nerfed as well?

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2012, 07:05:37 pm »
+1

(click to show/hide)
[/spoiler]
Hey, OBGYN,
If I was truly clever, and self serving, I would run around with a katana and giggle my way through a lot of people with this nerf.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog