Author Topic: NA gets Patch  (Read 19600 times)

Offline Lemmy_Winks

• Count
  • Renown: 241
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lemmy_Winks
Re: NA gets Patch
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 06:13:42 pm »
When it comes to making the game more realistic, getting rid of lawl stabbing is really the first thing to be done. Should also help to nerf the awlpike which is somewhat OP.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 06:14:37 pm »
+2
When it comes to making the game more realistic, getting rid of lawl stabbing is really the first thing to be done. Should also help to nerf the awlpike which is somewhat OP.
I'm trying to recall ever seeing you with something that had a stab.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 06:14:54 pm »
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 06:16:13 pm »
+3
I'm not going to be able to try this for quite a few hours after work, so I'm wondering...

Is that 90o of turning at the same speed, but anything outside of that is slower?  Or is ALL turning while stabbing slowed?  What about turning while the attack is chambered/held back?

What was the consensus on EU?  I'm assuming most ppl think its  a success or they wouldn't have ported it over to NA.

All turning with the stab is slowed. As soon as you release the LMB, your spin speed is slowed significantly. I believe turning with a chambered stab remains the same as stock.

I think it's a success, because I'm pretty much over having to bring my own pike in order to confirm a kill on other pikemen, otherwise they can hop, spin and fuck up everything in a helicopter blade zone.

The fact that your turn speed is slowed on release of your weapon means that it's viable to stab effectively within the 90o from your point of release. I can still hit people directly to my sides, but they tend to have to be pretty far out (as far as pikes go). It's fun to beat on the 2handers who rely on the lolstabs, too. It's almost like karma has caught up with them and I am karma's hand of justice. 

As a horseman and steel picker, I feel like your support of this update is unfounded.

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 06:18:57 pm »
+8

I would have never thought the guy that plays morningstar gank cav doesnt like long pokey weapons...

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 06:20:03 pm »
+7
As the entire NA community expresses its distaste for Lemmy Winks and his biased opinions.

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 06:23:08 pm »
Nodachi remembers stab
It learned to go without
How the mighty have fallen

Do you adore the haiku?
NA Drama threads are fun
Why do I feel so dirty though...
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 06:26:38 pm »
+6
This is awful. I just played a bit of duel and battle to test out the patch.

Not being able to spin your stabs removes an enormous element of skill from melee combat. Pretty much if an opponent is facing slightly away from you  (45 degrees or so), there is only one viable swing direction they have. A thrust and an overhead will take so long to reach the opponent that they will have ages to block. This makes blocking vastly easier.

The only thing this has accomplished is greatly decreasing the skill ceiling for melee combat, which isn't something that should ever happen.

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, 06:28:31 pm »
+2
This is awful. I just played a bit of duel and battle to test out the patch.

Not being able to spin your stabs removes an enormous element of skill from melee combat. Pretty much if an opponent is facing slightly away from you  (45 degrees or so), there is only one viable swing direction they have. This makes blocking vastly easier.

The only thing this has accomplished is greatly decreasing the skill ceiling for melee combat, which isn't something that should ever happen.

Have you tried the side swings?

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2012, 06:31:02 pm »
+2
Have you tried the side swings?
Since there's only a single viable swing when facing somewhat away from your opponent, and when facing your opponent dead-on swings are pretty easy to block, that doesn't really help. I always used a mix of side-swings and thrusts anyways.

This is an enormous nerf to individual player skill.

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2012, 06:32:53 pm »
+2
Hmm. I guess I can get use to the holding the stab for a second longer while turning...but its definitely going to be more predictable. New players are still going to get the crap stabbed out of them, but the better ones will be able to get a 6 pack, drink it, take a piss, and come back and still be able to block the stab in time.

...WTB Overhead stabs for hoplites or thrust only weapons! You guys argue realism in turning, I argue realism in the fact that putting your weapon horizontal at your waist is not going to block a stab to the face!

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2012, 06:33:34 pm »
Since there's only a single viable swing when facing somewhat away from your opponent, and when facing your opponent dead-on swings are pretty easy to block, that doesn't really help. I always used a mix of side-swings and thrusts anyways.

This is an enormous nerf to individual player skill.

Well.. Aren't polearms supposed to be a support weapon (for the most part) anyway ?

Tell you what I'm over is those Norse Horde guys using pikes. Because dressing the part is the only requirement to RP. Vikings and pikes.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, 06:34:03 pm »
+3
You can't say its an overall nerf to melee skill.  It makes things easier for some players (those blocking a thrust) and harder for other (those performing a thrust).  So its a wash.  Harder for some, easier for others.  That's what a nerf is!  Spin stabs were nerfed, so those using them will have to increase their skill to remain competitive.

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 06:36:11 pm »
Well.. Aren't polearms supposed to be a support weapon (for the most part) anyway ?
I play every class. I only respecced to a polearm last week, and I'll be 1h again next week. Then 2h again.

This hits every single weapon class really hard. 2h stabs are a large part of what makes 2h weapons good, and for 1h stabs twisting is vital for ensuring a clean hit.

You can't say its an overall nerf to melee skill.  It makes things easier for some players (those blocking a thrust) and harder for other (those performing a thrust).  So its a wash.  Harder for some, easier for others.  That's what a nerf is!  Spin stabs were nerfed, so those using them will have to increase their skill to remain competitive.
Let's extend this. Let's remove every attack direction except for stabs! It's not a nerf to individual skill - it's only harder for people who used the other swing directions.

That is, of course, dumb. Every option in melee combat you remove decreases the number of skills a melee player needs to learn before becoming decent at the game.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 06:48:11 pm by Vodner »

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 06:37:21 pm »
+1
Yeah, because every Viking had a burly beard, expensive fur coated armor or no armor at all, throwing axes, a really big axe to cleave people with. Spears weren't part of it at all.

Vodner, you are a 2h. You have no right to complain about the minor nerf to your weapon while thrusting based polearms got the shaft. (pun intended)