Author Topic: 1 handers without shield  (Read 9281 times)

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
Re: 1 handers without shield
« Reply #135 on: June 23, 2012, 10:05:38 pm »
Are we playing the same game? I have mw kas and 130 wpf and i get spammed by everyone. In alt i have 8 wm and 174 wpf points in 1h and i use steel pick and gues what? Everyone is faster then me. Are you ppl fucking kidding me?
How the fuck do you meange to do that?
Turn attack mechanic is bullshit. When i hit you,and then i try to repeat the attack with 8wm other dude always hit me first.
And right swing looks to me that it is faster then left one.
I manage just fine as a 1h with 24/15, 21/18, and 18/21 builds. So do a ton of other 1h. Either your footwork is off, or your timing is off (or both).

I'm not saying I never failed to properly counter a hiltslash, but it was always my fault when it happened. The footwork leading up to it is one of the most blatant telegraphs in the entire game.

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #136 on: June 24, 2012, 01:09:12 am »
Yeah you are all pro,and booring. Enjoy hitting - on mine posts,and laughing.

I did. Laughed evilly as I hit the -1. Felt good.

Seriously though are you trolling? 1h with 130 wpf is easy to spam. I have an alt that is pure 1h and I can outspam almost everyone I fight if I want to, even katanas. I will admit the alt has 154 wpf but you're claiming an alt with 174 wpf is easily outspammed.. are you for real?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • Renown: 454
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard, ex Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Mlekce, Sergius
  • IRC nick: Mlekce
« Reply #137 on: June 24, 2012, 01:47:46 am »
You probably know that shield slows you down? You also know that less range you have more you can fuck yourself in asshole with wpf you have cuz glaive/flamburger bundle of stickss who backpedal will always outspam you.
Range compensate speed.
Only way you can spam the shit out of them is to have 6 or more ath and go without shield with mw sword.
Now go with shield,15kg or more gear and 5 athl and steel pick and enjoy the spamming.  :rolleyes:
Half of speed they have don't come from wpf it comes from high athl 2h have,because they don't need to put points in shield,they can all go 7 athl and 6ps with long and high dmg weapon. No wonder i get spammed.
But nvm that doesnt stop me to have good score.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 01:51:10 am by Mlekce »

Offline Taser

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 24, 2012, 02:13:39 am »
Yeah nothing you can do about s key assholes. You can still kill them with or without shield if you don't rush it but it is harder since they have the range advantage and no dignity.

But your claim about having shield or without shield that 1h cannot spam is not a valid claim. I've been able to spam people without a mw sword on my alt as well as my main which uses a shield. 1h is able to spam just as well as 2h without a shield and almost as well as 2h with one, least that's what I've noticed in my gameplay. 1h is slower with that shield but it should be.

1h with or without a shield is not as good as 2h on paper since 2h has reach and equal speed thus it has the advantage with reach. However this doesn't mean 1h isn't viable or unable to do well.

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 24, 2012, 03:02:44 am »
Time is everything if you don't kill them under 10 seconds you better run because ether enemy cav is noticed you or other 2h that are faster then you will sorround you and you are fucked.
I can't spam anyone,i maybie doing something wrong but everyone have epic blocking skills and spamming like crazy.
havihng 110wpf and having 190 wpf is not a big deal,one point in athletichs worth more then 5 in wm.
with high athl and good footwork they can spam you even if you have 190wpf because they have speed and more reach. I tried 9 setups so far and i finaly realised that i don't need wm at all. Waiste of points,and totaly usless.
Having no shield gives you more points to put in athl or ps and you have very fast spamming weapon. It have some dissadvantages,but it is totaly fine.

Offline Taser

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 24, 2012, 04:23:00 am »
Then we agree that 1h is still viable but disagree on spamming. Fair enough.

Are you an EU player? This might have something to do with why we have different opinions. Far as I know EU favors agi and NA favors str. That does not mean all EU favors agi nor that all NA favors str but that its what a large portion favors. I don't play EU but that seems to be a popular opinion thus you may have a different situation if you do indeed play in EU servers.

Offline Baggy

• Count
  • Renown: 199
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player
  • Sup brah
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Baggy _Potato Blight_ Famine Emigration
  • IRC nick: Baggy
« Reply #141 on: June 24, 2012, 04:37:47 am »
1h without shield is the hardest build to fight duel against for me.

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 24, 2012, 05:07:17 pm »
Then we agree that 1h is still viable but disagree on spamming. Fair enough.

Are you an EU player? This might have something to do with why we have different opinions. Far as I know EU favors agi and NA favors str. That does not mean all EU favors agi nor that all NA favors str but that its what a large portion favors. I don't play EU but that seems to be a popular opinion thus you may have a different situation if you do indeed play in EU servers.
i am  EU player.

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 24, 2012, 05:09:41 pm »
1h without shield is the hardest build to fight duel against for me.
Depends mate. If you are used to 2h sword block and attack animations you will not have any problems with 2h swords,but if you try 1h and polearms it will feel different,and much more harder. Problem is in ur brain i know it because i have same problem.

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 24, 2012, 06:25:21 pm »

Anyway, as far as swashbuckling goes...

This thread is about using 1handed withOUT shield. Swashbuckling includes shield.
I don't know enough

Offline Wraist

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 24, 2012, 06:49:50 pm »
This thread is about using 1handed withOUT shield. Swashbuckling includes shield.

You suffer from confirmation bias, what I linked previously stated that swashbukckling is more about an arrogant sword fighter. The buckler part comes from the fact that he's noisy in when he hits his own shield or his opponent's shield. Since the vast majority of shielders are more passive [shield constantly up until they hear the ding], I'd argue that the definition fits our 1her/no shields much more.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #146 on: June 24, 2012, 07:28:58 pm »
You suffer from confirmation bias, what I linked previously stated that swashbukckling is more about an arrogant sword fighter. The buckler part comes from the fact that he's noisy in when he hits his own shield or his opponent's shield. Since the vast majority of shielders are more passive [shield constantly up until they hear the ding], I'd argue that the definition fits our 1her/no shields much more.

You are seeing what you want to see.

And there are lots of agressive shielders; naturally when someone is attacking, you wait for the ding, but when someone is attacking you with a longer weapon, what are you going to do, open up and die?

« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 07:32:20 pm by bruce »
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Bryggan

• Marshall
  • Renown: 727
  • Infamy: 207
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 13 Knights, HCE
  • Game nicks: Jerk, Asshole, Dumbass, etc.
« Reply #147 on: June 24, 2012, 08:30:09 pm »
You are seeing what you want to see.

And there are lots of agressive shielders; naturally when someone is attacking, you wait for the ding, but when someone is attacking you with a longer weapon, what are you going to do, open up and die?

I think he means a passive shielder has his shield up whenever he isn't striking.  It's safer, but its slows you down.  If I have room to maneuvre I'll leave shield down to speed up my footwork, and use my shield as an 'auto-block' whenever I see the strike coming.  If I'm on a wall or a tight space facing a spamming 2-hander, I hold shield up till it breaks, then I block once and then die.

I had hoped putting shield away would give me a massive speed advantage so I could spam, but alas no.  My manual blocking is far too crappy and on a one on one I just can't get close enough.

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #148 on: June 24, 2012, 08:44:29 pm »
My manual blocking is far too crappy and on a one on one I just can't get close enough.
That problem is fairly easy to fix. Just play duel (without your shield) until your blocking picks up.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #149 on: June 24, 2012, 08:52:52 pm »
Or do the following: Put shield away when there's an anti-shield weapon coming up, they're slower and unbalanced, usually, so you can progressively get better at blocking, after that, play the odd round without any shield.

That's how I did it.
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art