Author Topic: 1 handers without shield  (Read 9302 times)

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
Re: 1 handers without shield
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 05:34:33 pm »
It's not same, with shield they are little bit slower its easier to spin em around and slash em from back...

1hers are not slower with a shield, outside the loss of speed from carrying a shield which is pretty low. IMO the only dissadvantage to a shield is that some people play like they have downsyndrome against you trying to get you to lower your shield (long feint patterns, circle spamming, etc).

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 05:35:09 pm »
+1
The hell is the problem with unshielded 1h?

The only thing they have is speed. They don't have protection from ranged, they lack range in melee as well.

Nothing to do here.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 05:42:29 pm »
This would be the opposite of buffing swashbucklers...bobthehero will not be happy.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 05:46:46 pm »
Not true...

with 1h without shield you can do awesome stuff.

Just take a look at Massasins and Teeth awesomnes. they own guys each time they are on server.
Well... Massassin is Kastu and Kastu is... well... Kastu. And Teeth is playing 1h only for ages already, afaik. Bad examples.
And yes, there is a blockstun with 1h-only which at least to me is the tricky part while playing 1h-only. I know that I suck and everybody else knows it too but I havent had more fun with any other class. Most kills with all my gens I got as polearm-str-build with 9 PS... so GTFO with getting even easier kills like you do get already... if I kill easily as pole than you should have it even easier :P

If anything, 1h-only needs its own animations and a buff somehow. If you're good at the game 1h-only might be nice - for people like Kastu, Teeth, Bjord - but for mediocre people like the majority 1h-only is still a class to master.

Leave it as it is, improve it or buff it. Nerfing it would be plain stupid... sry Idzo  8-)
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 05:49:47 pm »
+1
yep. there is mechanic about it. but I bet 95% players don't notice that at all..
No , it is very noticable .
I've tried 1h build without shield and i was getting permastun whenever i join group fights.
When people spam with gigantic shit you can't even attack back (Yet you can chamber) .

Offline Idzo

• Earl
  • Renown: 494
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Deserter_IdZo
  • IRC nick: IdZo Steam Nick: Deja3n9
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 05:50:33 pm »
Well... Massassin is Kastu and Kastu is... well... Kastu. And Teeth is playing 1h only for ages already, afaik. Bad examples.
And yes, there is a blockstun with 1h-only which at least to me is the tricky part while playing 1h-only. I know that I suck and everybody else knows it too but I havent had more fun with any other class. Most kills with all my gens I got as polearm-str-build with 9 PS... so GTFO with getting even easier kills like you do get already... if I kill easily as pole than you should have it even easier :P

If anything, 1h-only needs its own animations and a buff somehow. If you're good at the game 1h-only might be nice - for people like Kastu, Teeth, Bjord - but for mediocre people like the majority 1h-only is still a class to master.

Leave it as it is, improve it or buff it. Nerfing it would be plain stupid... sry Idzo  8-)

lol man. we are here to discuss, this is forum, dont worry i dont take it personal..

it's just that i find extremely retarded that 1 char with pickaxe in his had can block axe with length over 1 meter...  it's nonsense to me...

Urist: Being crpg mod makes you go insane at some point. look at meow, he thinks he's a fcking cat

Offline Idzo

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 05:51:31 pm »
No , it is very noticable .
I've tried 1h build without shield and i was getting permastun whenever i join group fights.
When people spam with gigantic shit you can't even attack back (Yet you can chamber) .

yeah, noticable to experienced players. i would consider you complete retard if you didnt notice that with 1000 hours ingame...
Urist: Being crpg mod makes you go insane at some point. look at meow, he thinks he's a fcking cat

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2120
  • Infamy: 857
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 05:54:50 pm »
Many things don't make sense, blocking huge weapons with short weapons and sticks is just one of them.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, 05:57:35 pm »

lol man. we are here to discuss, this is forum, dont worry i dont take it personal..

it's just that i find extremely retarded that 1 char with pickaxe in his had can block axe with length over 1 meter...  it's nonsense to me...
Well, I think it's totally retarded that a guy with a huge axe can swing it like a madmen with a speed close to 1h or that this huge axe does the same damage with its grip as with its blade... do you see me complain (in forum - raging in server chat doesnt count  :mrgreen:)?
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2012, 05:58:17 pm »
Since devs started to implement lots of good stuff in this mod i was thinkinh about that they make 1hander without shield crushthrued (dealing 1hander small amount of damage) each time they been hit with heavier weapons...

I mean, its funny to see how some guys walk around with 1handers blocking all these big axes and outspaming guys...

For example: if you take nordic champ sword  with 1.2 wright you can block all poles (i'm talking about 4 attack direction weapons except long maul) who are mostly above 3 weight.

So. Either crushthrou or at least stund on 1h handers.

I know that all 1handers will be against this but if we wanna make mod balanced/realistic we have to deal with 1h spam and their OP...

After removing jump shot for archers, lolstabs for 2h, polestagger for poles, lance system and LHB animation for cav, 1handers are next.

EDIT: Imagine an archer that cant block you with his little hammer or pickaxe :)
The funniest part of this...
This is the shite people whinged about in warband beta, because they wanted that vaegir archer to just shit his pants and die when cornered.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2012, 06:00:29 pm »
+2
Why do you want to nerf 1handers without shield...?

So he doesn't get owned by players that are actually more skilled than he is.

Offline Idzo

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2012, 06:03:05 pm »
Well, I think it's totally retarded that a guy with a huge axe can swing it like a madmen with a speed close to 1h or that this huge axe does the same damage with its grip as with its blade... do you see me complain (in forum - raging in server chat doesnt count  :mrgreen:)?

If we start with retardness and similar stuff we can count stuff here till morning...
Well im not complaining or raging but just making suggestion.. nothing else  :mrgreen:

I'm trying to contribute..  :P

So he doesn't get owned by players that are actually more skilled than he is.

+1   :mrgreen:

First i have to chase archer for like 3 min and when i catch him.......... i get owned :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 06:11:32 pm by Idzo »

Offline Kajia

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Kajia
  • IRC nick: Kajia_
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, 06:10:52 pm »
+1
if devs are serious about balancing they should implement something like damage depending on speed, and weight of attacking weapon, attack direction, weapon skill of defending character, and ofc if he is blocking or not.

i could imagine blocking being not anymore a true or false thing (blocked, or not blocked), but rather only a big plus if you're being attacked. this would cure even the problem that super-fast weapons (mw glaive f.i.) is so op to fight against, because once you implement something like this, you'd notice how OP weapon speed on long weapons is giving them an unfair advantage in terms of damage etc. (this counts for all weapons, even one-handed! the longer a weapon, the faster it's radial speed at the tip)
one-handed weapons would be harder to handle against big and heavy weapons, but those will have a harder time against each other too.

also, i hope weapons speed will at one point be calculated from weight and length only. right now it's some abstract figure put in by our devs. (my mighty one handed battle axe is faster AND heavier than a normal one. LOL?)

the same should count for damage too. why not break down damage calculation as a product of the values speed, <--length (radial speed), mass and of what kind the hitting edge/surface is (cut, pierce, blunt, PLUS maybe a longer thorn for dedicated pierce weps, and a special blunt for mauls (5 different sets?))

tl;dr: make damage gradual, blocking not 1 or 0
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 06:14:58 pm by Kajia »

Kajia's Workshop
(cRPG artwork showcase)

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 06:15:46 pm »

First i have to chase archer for like 3 min and when i catch him.......... i get owned :mrgreen:

Lol, well if that happens, he deserved to win the fight, what you're suggesting is just a mechanic to make you have a high chance of automatically winning a fight, kind of like the agi pole builds that polestunned you and just hit you over and over whilst you couldn't do shit but stand there being stunned, it was removed for that reason. An archer is specced for archery regardless so you already have the advantage of character built for melee and most likely a far superior melee weapon.

1h no shield already has massive disadvantages, it's only advantage is in your face close range combat, to which they also have to dodge kicks because they are often fighting people who are backpedaling with longer weapons, kicking at them. When I die to a guy using 1h no shield, especially an archer, it's usually because I made a mistake myself or they are just good at fighting that style and beat me fair and square.

Offline Dalhi

• Earl
  • Renown: 415
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dalhi
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 06:20:50 pm »
For example: if you take nordic champ sword  with 1.2 wright you can block all poles (i'm talking about 4 attack direction weapons except long maul) who are mostly above 3 weight.

Yeah, that is why I almost always have to block two first hits when I fight someone with heavier weapon inculding a lot of 2h weapons, if the other guy knows what he is doing then you really have a small window to counter.