Author Topic: First Thoughts  (Read 5345 times)

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
Re: First Thoughts
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2012, 04:36:18 am »
+3
I've played the game for a decent time and while I am hardly a good fighter, I know when the gear/build is beating the fuck out of me and not skill.

Argh...this makes me cringe. You could be wearing plate and have whatever weapon you want and there's a lot of people here who could beat you using peasant gear. That's not me being an ass, that's the truth.

Player skill is FAR more important than gear.

Most of the people who play this mod have been playing for a long, long time. They happen to be very good at it.

Hell, I wouldn't expect to jump into some long-running FPS and compete against guys who've been playing for years. Why would you think this is any different?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Sarpton

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hurlbat
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2012, 04:37:29 am »
+3
Hi I'm fuckin terrible, and I'll duel you with the EXACT SAME GEAR you have and show you its skills that get kills not gear.

Offline rinaun

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2012, 04:40:14 am »
Argh...this makes me cringe. You could be wearing plate and have whatever weapon you want and there's a lot of people here who could beat you using peasant gear. That's not me being an ass, that's the truth.

Player skill is FAR more important than gear.

Most of the people who play this mod have been playing for a long, long time. They happen to be very good at it.

Hell, I wouldn't expect to jump into some long-running FPS and compete against guys who've been playing for years. Why would you think this is any different?

I do understand this, and I did see people using wooden weapons to own some people in fairly geared equipment. However, without skip to 30 do you think in the starting gear you have a realistic chance?
I mean it wasn't until the second game and us checking the site to see if we missed anything did we see the "skip the fun" section. I'm still lost on why you have 1-30 when 30 is obviously the start of the game.

Offline SHinOCk

• Earl
  • Renown: 369
  • Infamy: 58
  • Is that all you've got!?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 1%
  • Game nicks: Occitan_SHinOCk, Occitan_Baz, Derp_In_A_Can, Disease_Infested_Cum_Bucket, The_Long_Dick_Of_The_Law
  • IRC nick: SHinOCk
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2012, 04:41:59 am »
+1
Wish i had the skip the fun shortcut when i started playing this... It took me a good 200hours playing this to become decent at blocking back when you actually had to grind to get your stuff. Saying gear makes all the difference isnt true unless you have have 2 clones fighting each other skillwise.

Either you live with the fact youre gonna get your ass handed to you for a while(even as a tincan) or you move along and go play call of douchy
While you burn at the stake, i dance with the flames

Offline Sarpton

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2012, 04:43:43 am »
+2
I've killed guys at lvl 3 that didn't have any blocking skills.   So you can help your team at any level.  Honestly it sounds like your ego is getting in the way of you getting better.

But I'm serious if you'd like to actually LEARN something pm me your  steam ID and I'll take time out and answer whatever questions you happen to have.  But if your just butthurt that's cool. 

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2012, 04:47:43 am »
I do understand this, and I did see people using wooden weapons to own some people in fairly geared equipment. However, without skip to 30 do you think in the starting gear you have a realistic chance?
I mean it wasn't until the second game and us checking the site to see if we missed anything did we see the "skip the fun" section. I'm still lost on why you have 1-30 when 30 is obviously the start of the game.

It's the RPG aspect of it. I do think it was more fun being a peasant in the old version though. In the old version, you had to stay near the fighting AND stay alive to get xp and gold. It was intense and fun.

Now when you start as a peasant you get stuff by not doing anything, which I think is a mistake, but whatever.

Still, you can kill people as a level 1 if you have a bit of luck and know what you're doing. You can start really racking up kills with only 12 str. All you need is a blunt or piercing weapon. Blunt and pierce work a lot better against heavier armor than cut weapons do. Also, archery REALLY sucks until about level 25 or so unless you have a lot of experience in it.

The game itself is super-fun and if you're quitting before you've even been in a strat battle you are really missing out.

Offline rinaun

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2012, 05:06:11 am »
It's the RPG aspect of it. I do think it was more fun being a peasant in the old version though. In the old version, you had to stay near the fighting AND stay alive to get xp and gold. It was intense and fun.

Now when you start as a peasant you get stuff by not doing anything, which I think is a mistake, but whatever.

Still, you can kill people as a level 1 if you have a bit of luck and know what you're doing. You can start really racking up kills with only 12 str. All you need is a blunt or piercing weapon. Blunt and pierce work a lot better against heavier armor than cut weapons do. Also, archery REALLY sucks until about level 25 or so unless you have a lot of experience in it.

The game itself is super-fun and if you're quitting before you've even been in a strat battle you are really missing out.

I appreciate the advice. I do feel for a new player (peasant) that just sitting by the fight and surfing/hiding is much more effective than fighting, which is a serious gameplay issue. I did see lower level people killing higher levels but I hardly ever saw it happen in a fashion that was fair (1v1 etc).

I can see why siege would be more popular for beginners; a disclaimer for beginners on battles might help.

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2012, 05:07:03 am »
+1
Well new guys, STF was put in place for newbies to learn.. I have my doubts though.

Eventually you will want a real character. You will be a peasant. Your mission is to be useful while being nigh useless. It is funny, but many unsung heroes are peasants who valiantly throw themselves in harms way to protect a team mate and actually cause the lynchpin event of the victory. And sometimes you just get squashed.

It is a complicated game, and a complicated mod of that game.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline rinaun

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2012, 05:11:24 am »
Well new guys, STF was put in place for newbies to learn.. I have my doubts though.

Eventually you will want a real character. You will be a peasant. Your mission is to be useful while being nigh useless. It is funny, but many unsung heroes are peasants who valiantly throw themselves in harms way to protect a team mate and actually cause the lynchpin event of the victory. And sometimes you just get squashed.

It is a complicated game, and a complicated mod of that game.

I think STF might have hurt more than helped. It not only guts the whole point of leveling but allowed people to keep respecing and find cookie cutter builds much faster. Then again, I never played before STF.

I CAN say without STF in the games current state I would of probably played for 5 minutes with decked people before realizing this is a massive grind and quit. It might help to make leveling faster and removing STF so that the first 10-20 levels ramp up quickly or such.

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2012, 05:11:41 am »
+2
Even with the level 30 boost I still have nothing compared to others.
Somebody give this guy a bunch of heirlooms so he can immediately own everybody. NOT.

Offline rinaun

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2012, 05:15:21 am »
Somebody give this guy a bunch of heirlooms so he can immediately own everybody. NOT.

Never said I wanted that, did I? I'd like to start however with something better than a turkey knife against tincan polearm knights.

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2012, 05:16:54 am »
+2
Rinaun, I am sorry that your first experience with this mod is as such. I admit it's not a good starter mod for beginners and whatnot, but it does take time. If you're willing to suffer through the peasant stages like all the other beginners, you'll find that it really does add depth to the game.

I urge you to try the mod again, except with more patience the second time around.

If you find that this mod isn't for you still, there's no point wasting the money you spent on Warband. Try other mods out there. The Nord Invasion mod by Jez is a pretty good PvE game you can try out. Best of luck with your experience here. I'm sorry we got off on the wrong foot, and I hope you'll have a better go around the second time.

Also, here's this for you: http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,32936.msg491707.html
This guide helped me even in the later stages of my experience in cRPG. Perhaps you and your friends will find some knowledge here that may help.

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2012, 05:17:25 am »
+1
Never said I wanted that, did I? I'd like to start however with something better than a turkey knife against tincan polearm knights.
Play more than 1 hour maybe.

Offline Sarpton

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2012, 05:31:43 am »
Not gonna take me up on my offer to explain anything are ya?   

He's just butthurt and wants his ego to feels better.  Because its can't be he sucks GOD NO,  others must be cheating/crutching/ ect.  Wallow in failure.

Offline rinaun

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2012, 06:00:35 am »
If you're willing to suffer through the peasant stages like all the other beginners, you'll find that it really does add depth to the game.

Sorry but that line just pretty much turned me off ever wanting to play again. Willing to suffer? Does anyone ever suffer through a video game to enjoy it?  :| I hope the dev(s) are taking feedback.

Best of luck to you and your mod.