Author Topic: If This Isn't Ovpowered, Why Isn't it?  (Read 7276 times)

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
Re: If This Isn't Ovpowered, Why Isn't it?
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2012, 03:49:09 pm »
+2
From what I have read, ranged speed bonus is purely one-way. It depends entirely on the speed of the victim relative to the missile.

Source

Yes. This is why running toward someone with 9 athletics (or riding toward someone on a Courser, for example) while you throw something at him isn't going to increase your damage.

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2012, 03:50:10 pm »
+5
Chucky is 12-27, so he does have 4PT. His axes ARE masterworked and I assume he does have about 154wpf in throwing.

Masterwork throwing axes are VERY innacurate at any distance other than in your face, any thrower can vouch to this. The saving grace behind them(the axes) is their extremely large hitbox and high damage. At +3 they do about 48 cut damage per throw. Now if you are standing still, this will do crap to you as your armor will probably soak it. However, given their high cut damage they are able to take advantage of your speed bonus. That is how horse headshots at full gallop get 1 shotted, or people take heavy damage. Running AWAY from the axe will also severely reduce the damage just as much as it would increase it when running toward it.

Also, Lemmy, my +0 destrier has been hit by a clanmates +3 throwing axe as it ran away. It lost a little less than 10% health. What story speak you?

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2012, 04:09:33 pm »
+2
Damage from throwing is so variable. I took a Heavy Throwing Axe to the skull the other day (54 head armor), and it did about 12 damage, when it should have nearly killed me.

But for Miley to whine about throwing (which is pretty weak overall) while wielding the most BS OP weapon in the game is pretty hilarious.

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2012, 04:10:48 pm »
+2
Now if you are standing still, this will do crap to you as your armor will probably soak it.
At 46 armor they will actually do an average of 34.5 damage with 4 PT and 172 wpf (assuming the calculator is still up to date).

If you were running towards the axe at 50% of its base speed (not sure how fast people are relative to throwing axes), you would be looking at a 216% damage boost. That gets factored in before armor, so punching in 1.5^1.9*47 (~101 cut) into the damage calculator gives an average damage of 100.5.

Even at 25% speed, you're still looking at an average of 64 (and as high as 78) cut.

I believe this works both ways. If you were running away at 50% speed and 46 armor, you would suffer no damage. At 25% speed, you would suffer an average of 9 damage.

Anybody more knowledgeable feel free to correct me if I have erred. Better yet, somebody test this in the duel server.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 04:25:44 pm by Vodner »

Offline Billius_Maximus

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Decimus_MB
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2012, 04:23:41 pm »
+4
I'm an 18/18 throwing hybrid build (6 IF, 6 PS, 6 PT, 6 Ath, 6 WM)
100 1h wpf
136 throwing wpf

The only 1 hit kill I have ever done with my unloomed heavy throwing axes is headshots / nakeds.
The average amount of axes it takes me to kill a player is ~3
The average amount of 2h swings it takes to kill me is ~1 (2 if I'm lucky)
I carry 9 axes, so assuming my accuracy is FLAWLESS (bahahahhaa) I will kill 3 people per round.

Explain to me how this is OP?
I like you Miley, you're pretty cool. Solid skill too. But seriously, just shut up.

Offline Uumdi

• Duke
  • Renown: 651
  • Infamy: 59
  • Ready to Die
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Uumdi_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Uumdi
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2012, 04:40:19 pm »
+9
I suggest an alternative.

Buff throwing.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ten shots of prayers, ten shots a day
A shot of thrill to hide the pain.
They can`t win, they just don`t cry,
The troopers know they live to die.

Offline FrugFrug

• Earl
  • Renown: 493
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: MB Mascot
  • Game nicks: FrugFrug Owl_Beard
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2012, 04:48:25 pm »
+4
I suggest an alternative.

Buff Stones.

Seriously, they were nerfed...

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2012, 05:05:18 pm »
+2
It's also worth noting that a non-heirloomed crossbow/steel bolts (not even an arbalest) does about the same damage to 46 armor as +3 heavy throwing axes @4PT.

With vastly better accuracy.

With vastly longer range.

With 4X the ammo per stack.

With no WPF requirements.

With no skill point investment.

With half the upkeep per projectile.

If throwing is OP, crossbows must be friggin' lasers.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2012, 05:30:50 pm »
+2
I cannot backpedal instareload arbalest, please fix.
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2012, 05:35:21 pm »
+3
Throwing axes are some of the most OP shit in the game, bar none.  Ridiculous damage output, especially when loomed.  PT doesn't matter.  Throwing damage should be reduced all across the board by at least a third, and accuracy needs to be MUCH lower.

coming from a guy who's usually playing cav, the most OP class, whining about throwing, one of the few things that can actively counter horses.

some for Lemmy Winks QQing, who goes around 1 shotting people with his morning star.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 05:44:27 pm by Turboflex »

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2012, 05:36:39 pm »
+4
Rule No. 1 in balance discussions:
You have no right to complain about something being OP with a great maul in your hands.

I thought everybody knew that by now.

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2012, 05:42:33 pm »
+2
If throwing weapons get nerfed they'll run the risk of being fucking useless.

The problem is that throwing weapons are retarded. They are shotguns--you throw them while on the move, or while jumping, from relatively close range. The low number or available projectiles to throw, combined with their inaccuracy, means that they need something going for them. It's simply not worth the effort to hit somebody with a thrown weapon if, after 8 misses, you finally score a hit only to cause 1/4 damage. At that rate, you won't get any fucking kills.

The thrown weapons mechanics are, uh, special. If they're gonna be this inaccurate, and give you so few tries to hit your target, then they better fucking do alot of damage relative to other weapons. Otherwise they'll just be a supplement to melee weapons, and just that.

Yeah, I know you can pick up and reuse thrown weapons, which can increase the number of tries you get to hit your target. It's not always practical, and there are many moments when the thrower is unable to get to used axes and he's just fucked. The weapons are generally thrown towards the enemy blob, and getting to them requires getting BEHIND ENEMY LINES DUN DUN DUN.
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2012, 05:48:07 pm »
+6
The only thing that caught my attention was the fact that a great maul user was complaining about a ranged class dealing too much damage.

Made my day.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline akapraf

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2012, 05:53:29 pm »
+3
throwing is op only if you have +32 lvl ( and only if you invest all you points in throwing ... i don't see to many players using a 100% throwing build )
but wait!!! if you think better all builds +32 lvl are OP
Edit: and Leshma if you think throwing is so easy pls make an alternative an put 3 screenshots with best of you'r scores and tell us how many maps did you play to manage to get  those 3 top scores
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 06:19:13 pm by akapraf »

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2012, 06:24:05 pm »
+2
The fact that any thrower can manage to get kills in battle (not siege) is an achievement. Of course if a class that isn't 2h manages to NOT be completely useless of course it must be 'OP'. I've played many throwers and once someone is aware your chances go way down to hit them. Throwing isn't OP. The main ones who die to throwing on battle servers are idiot cav who don't yet understand that a big axe flung into their horse charging a thrower might be bad for the horses health (amazing I know). If you think it is OP go make a STF character and get on a battle server then come back and post your score topping pic....cause, you know, throwing is so 'OP'.