Author Topic: An unanswered question...  (Read 1166 times)

Offline RamsesXXIIX

• Count
  • Renown: 252
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Yes, I prey on the weak.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Ramses
An unanswered question...
« on: November 07, 2011, 12:22:11 pm »
+1
Hey guys.

I messaged Paul about this, but since he hasn't answered and I'm anxious to get the truth, I'm posting here in the hope one of you guys know the answer.

So, here's the deal.

I'm confused if/if not your speed is calculated when you are firing a ranged weapon (Be it throwing, x-bows or bows). Or said in other words, if speed bonus is calculated for you as well as your opponent.

To try and investigate, I went through some of Pauls posts: I found this quote when searching in this thread: http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,17211.msg247332.html#msg247332

You only get no speed bonus from your own movement speed. The targets speed does count. For the damage calc(but not for trajectory calc) every projectile is handled as if it is launched from a static position.

This has some interesting effects with horse archery too. So imagine a HA who is chased by another cav, both at same speed and the HA is shooting backwards at the cav. Irl one would expect normal damage because shooter and target are moving at the same speed. But it is different in Warband physics. Here it thinks the arrow is launched from static postion and the target is moving towards the arrow, resulting in extra damage. A mounted thrower would even profit the most from this glitch because the smaller the projectile speed compared to the movement speed, the higher the damage bonus/malus.

On the other hand this makes advisable for a victim to ride away from the HA. Same here, irl one would expect normal damage if a HA chases another cav when both move at the same speed. In Warband only the victim speed counts and he rides away from the arrow resulting in less damage than normal. Mounted thrower suffer the most from this.

Same for infantry but of course the impact is small because of the low movement speed.

Bolded the important part.

From this, it appears that your speed bonus is not calculated.

However, I've also found a Warband Manual: http://cdn.steampowered.com/Manuals/48700/PDX5505US_Warband_Manual_US.pdf?t=1271189104

Taken from page 45-46: 
"SPEED BONUSES are also very important for ranged weapons. Your missiles will lose most of their starting speed at long ranges, and therefore will do much less damage. On the other hand, hurling a javelin forward while riding a horse at full gallop will devastate any opponent you hit, since the speed of the horse will be added to the speed of your hurling motio"

From this, it appears your speed bonus IS calculated in ranged.

So which exactly is right in cRPG?

Hope anybody knows the answer.

Offline RamsesXXIIX

• Count
  • Renown: 252
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Yes, I prey on the weak.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Ramses
Re: An unanswered question...
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 01:00:27 pm »
+1
Nevermind, Paul sent me a message explaining everything. For anyone interested, I don't think he minds me pasting it here:

(click to show/hide)

Thanks a lot for the answer.