Author Topic: Why was polestagger removed?  (Read 6862 times)

Offline Baggy

• Count
  • Renown: 199
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player
  • Sup brah
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Baggy _Potato Blight_ Famine Emigration
  • IRC nick: Baggy
Re: Why was polestagger removed?
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2012, 12:55:45 am »
That why I said I think.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tanken

• King
  • Renown: 1463
  • Infamy: 395
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Tanken
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2012, 01:33:20 am »
Haven't read through all the arguments or comments so this may have been posted already...

But wouldn't a decent nerf be to remove polestagger from weapons that are obviously the culprit for scoring more hits? Pikes, Long Spears, Lances, and (from my understanding) Bamboo and Ashwoods don't give enough time to allow for more hits (but I could be wrong!). Polestagger for me was always a great addition to use with my teammates, stunning the target just a brief moment to allow them to quickly wrap it up was all I needed, and I think that's why Polestagger originally existed. However, with it gone it really will make 2handers and the other mentioned classes supreme.

The value of polearms, like this mod, will plummet. I don't want to simply subside the playstyle I've adapted and found in the past 6 months just to have it shit on and have to join the already existing hordes of 2handers. With polestagger gone, and the removal of fast spins or maneuverability for weapons like mine that have one or two hit-directions, you minaswell count me out of this mod.

Some of you will be thankful for that  :mrgreen:

On a side note, try writing P o l e s t u n in this forum and it automatically adjusts it to Polestagger. Even the word s t u n. Wtf?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 01:52:20 am by Tank Burner »
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!
Thanks to all of those who contributed.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2012, 01:37:05 am »
+3
Polestagger on the Ashwood pike definitely allows for more hits, same for Awlpike. I used this a plenty. You get in an overhead, watch them stumble around like retards and then prod em in the eyes. Double stabs work aswell.

It was OP as fuck.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2012, 01:52:22 am »
+1
How about giving certain polearm weapons a certain tag, like "cruel" or "inflicts heavy wounds" or something like that, and those weapons do have the polestagger. That way people, who relied on the stagger or saw it as a (viable) feature could still take advantage of it, but it could get balanced by certain weapon stats. For example it should always go hand in hand with "unbalanced", like most crushthrough weapons do.

I think it would be a nice compromise and add another, real and intended feature to combat, next to others like unbalanced, good against shields, knockdown or crushthrough.

I would suggest to add the polestagger/cruel flag to the following weapons:

(click to show/hide)

I chose the German Poleaxe because it is not used that much, and there should be a top tier weapon with this tag. Perhaps you can even try to not make it unbalanced, but lower the weapon speed 1 or two points.

Then I chose the Great Long Bardiche and the English Bill because they look mean and a hit of them would surely inflict terrible wounds. It's also a chance to mark them off from the Swiss Halberd, respectively Long Bardiche/Long Voulge.

The Boar Spear finally is to add a spear weapon with this feature. It has a broad tip, which justifies it to inflict cruel wounds, and I don't see it that much as a hoplite weapon, so again it's a chance to increase diversity.

And I know there are always people who are using those weapons, and say that this would destroy a perfectly balanced and wonderful weapon, but I think all in all those weapons are used that little, that such a change could add a little bit more diversity to the polearms you see on the servers.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 01:57:31 am by Joker86 »
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Tanken

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2012, 01:52:48 am »
oh I should have probably specified I meant them in a Hoplite build but that's irrelevant :] Fixed my post. Thanks.
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!

Offline BashirKhan

• Knight
  • Renown: 37
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2012, 01:53:57 am »
 You're right tanken It does auto-adjust O.O Wonder why

P.S. ive noticed Bily_Whitmore has been down voting everyone who suggests a change from the current situation  :rolleyes:

Offline Tanken

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2012, 01:54:59 am »
You're right tanken It does auto-adjust O.O Wonder why

Isn't that nuts? lol.

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2012, 02:03:24 am »
Well, for the longest time I thought I just missed a block, but then I was furious.
And how!

Offline robert_namo

• Count
  • Renown: 170
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • I don't understand.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis "of the Stars"
  • Game nicks: Robert_Namo_Astralis
« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2012, 02:11:46 am »
I use 2h and I also want 2h to be nerfed.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2012, 02:13:16 am »
How about giving certain polearm weapons a certain tag, like "cruel" or "inflicts heavy wounds" or something like that, and those weapons do have the polestagger. That way people, who relied on the stagger or saw it as a (viable) feature could still take advantage of it, but it could get balanced by certain weapon stats. For example it should always go hand in hand with "unbalanced", like most crushthrough weapons do.

I think it would be a nice compromise and add another, real and intended feature to combat, next to others like unbalanced, good against shields, knockdown or crushthrough.

(click to show/hide)

I chose the German Poleaxe because it is not used that much, and there should be a top tier weapon with this tag. Perhaps you can even try to not make it unbalanced, but lower the weapon speed 1 or two points.

Then I chose the Great Long Bardiche and the English Bill because they look mean and a hit of them would surely inflict terrible wounds. It's also a chance to mark them off from the Swiss Halberd, respectively Long Bardiche/Long Voulge.

The Boar Spear finally is to add a spear weapon with this feature. It has a broad tip, which justifies it to inflict cruel wounds, and I don't see it that much as a hoplite weapon, so again it's a chance to increase diversity.

And I know there are always people who are using those weapons, and say that this would destroy a perfectly balanced and wonderful weapon, but I think all in all those weapons are used that little, that such a change could add a little bit more diversity to the polearms you see on the servers.

are you trolling?

bill, bardiche, and german poleaxe are 3 of the most OP weapons in the game, all do way more damage than any 2 hander weapon does, most are longer, and have polestagger, balanced, rear horses, and bust shields (not the bill but it does massive pierce with the length of a pike basically, broken weapon)

no thanks
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2012, 02:14:31 am »
+1
are you trolling?

I am not. Why should I?
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline BashirKhan

• Knight
  • Renown: 37
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2012, 02:17:28 am »
are you trolling?

bill, bardiche, and german poleaxe are 3 of the most OP weapons in the game, all do way more damage than any 2 hander weapon does, most are longer, and have polestagger, balanced, rear horses, and bust shields (not the bill but it does massive pierce with the length of a pike basically, broken weapon)

no thanks
And the Long Sword, Bastard swords, and all of the 2h mauls are soooo balanced too
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 02:25:30 am by BashirKhan »

Offline Vkvkvk

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2012, 02:18:42 am »
Haven't read through all the arguments or comments so this may have been posted already...

But wouldn't a decent nerf be to remove polestagger from weapons that are obviously the culprit for scoring more hits? Pikes, Long Spears, Lances, and (from my understanding) Bamboo and Ashwoods don't give enough time to allow for more hits (but I could be wrong!). Polestagger for me was always a great addition to use with my teammates, stunning the target just a brief moment to allow them to quickly wrap it up was all I needed, and I think that's why Polestagger originally existed. However, with it gone it really will make 2handers and the other mentioned classes supreme.

The value of polearms, like this mod, will plummet. I don't want to simply subside the playstyle I've adapted and found in the past 6 months just to have it shit on and have to join the already existing hordes of 2handers. With polestagger gone, and the removal of fast spins or maneuverability for weapons like mine that have one or two hit-directions, you minaswell count me out of this mod.

Some of you will be thankful for that  :mrgreen:

On a side note, try writing P o l e s t u n in this forum and it automatically adjusts it to Polestagger. Even the word s t u n. Wtf?

If anything, I think polearms are more on the level of 2handers now than before.

As you mentionned :" Polestagger for me was always a great addition to use with my teammates, stunning the target just a brief moment to allow them to quickly wrap it up was all I needed"

That alone made long polearms extremely overpowered. I can fight 3-4 polearmers/2handers entirely fine if I have enough athletics to footwork around them, but as soon as a long poke polearm was added in the equation, all that awaited me was a gorey death. I would be dueling a polearmer/2hander and I would just fucking empty my bowels in my pants as soon as I saw a pike/longspear/bamboospear/awlpike/whatfuckingever coming my way because I knew that my chances of survival just dropped to nearly 0.

I could also deal with 2 handers much more than polearms just because of polestagger, if I'm fighting 3 2handers with less skill than I do, I could easily just footwork around and if I did a mistake that didn't kill me, I could keep going until next mistake.

Fighting more than 1 polearm meant a single mistake spelled doom because they could just take turn in polestaggering me until I was dead, I could have 80 body armor and 1000 hp for all they care, they would have just taken turns until I would have been dead because of the inability to do jack shit against it short of Alt+F4'ing.

I am not. Why should I?

Because your idea seems generally poor. I get your point, polestagger could probably go on certain polearms that needs it, but in total honesty, the mechanic itself was just bullshit no matter on what weapon, even spears that have weak side swings, they easily make up for it with their sheer stab damage and speed.

Offline _GTX_

• I <3 Shemaforash
  • Duke
  • Renown: 535
  • Infamy: 960
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • O===((:::::::::::::::>
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmarunionen
  • Game nicks: GTX
  • IRC nick: GTX
« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2012, 02:18:56 am »

(click to show/hide)

Plz get this! Polestagger was op as fuck, one of the most op things ive ever seen in c-rpg. It was for sure the most op effect ive ever seen a weapon inflict. Thats why we got rid of it.

The game is more balanced than it has ever been. There is no need to add another effect to ''replace'' polestagger, polestagger was something which got removed because it was op. So it seems dumb to replace it with another effect, which might end up fucking the balance again.

Polearms does still have some stun, but its not ridicolous anymore. The 2h swords or 1h swords does not have a special effect at all, so why should polearm? Polearm alrdy has the biggest arteleri. Stopping horses, being able to have incredible reach and support options with spears/pikes. And they have waaay better weapons with bonus against shields. Ontop of that, they have decent stats. I dont see what u can really complain about, there is +'s and -'s to every weapon.

If u want another effect to the weapons, u should first of all be very careful. And u should probably not only add it to 1 weapon class, since that would probably fuck up the balance. So the effects should be more spread between the classes.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 02:25:27 am by _GTX_ »

Offline Vkvkvk

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2012, 02:21:46 am »
Polearms does still have some stun, but its not ridicolous anymore. The 2h swords or 1h swords does not have a special effect at all, so why should polearm?

Because everyone insists that the polearms only had the polestagger going for themselves (Yeah right) and that 2h have absolutely everything going for them.